Crackdown On Cheating At Petrol Stations

george

Internal Trade Department to prevent cheating at petrol stations

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department will call a meeting Wednesday with Thailand's eight leading petrol station operators - PTT, Conoco, Caltex Oil, Esso Standard, Shell, BCP, Siam United Services and Petronas - to find measures to prevent cheating at fuel pumps.

Director-general Siripol Yodmuangcharoen said consumers had complained about petrol station employees overcharging them after filling their tanks.

The department and operators will find ways of cracking down on such illegal practices. Petrolstation owners will closely monitor their employees' service.

The ministry will also send an inspection team to work with petrol stations to uncover and punish dishonest employees, said Siripol

-- The Nation 2007-01-09

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange report ,

wonder how they were overcharged ?

pump delivering short ..........weights and measures or equivalent ,?

overcharging / short changing , surely you check the total on the pump / change tendered ?

dishonest employee's , sack them .........repeated occurrences sack the management .

what is the real story here ?

In my experience, the pump delivers short measure, up to 10%. I have checked this with my own vehicle.

My wife also buys 200 litres tractor fuel at a time and knows which garages are cheating, easy to see when 200 litres doesnt fill the oil drum.

This has been going on for years BTW. Its worse on the main highways with some of these namesless gut price pump stations, which sell substandard diesel (which wears out your fuel pump prematurely becaus they dont put in proper additives)

TIT

strange report ,

overcharging / short changing , surely you check the total on the pump / change tendered ?

dishonest employee's , sack them .........repeated occurrences sack the management .

Happens all the time and is quite simple.You go to fill uop your car etc.A moter bike has just been before you.They have not reset the meter.Therefore you are say THB100 before they start pumping the gas.They pocket the THB100.

strange report ,

Happens all the time and is quite simple.You go to fill uop your car etc.A moter bike has just been before you.They have not reset the meter.Therefore you are say THB100 before they start pumping the gas.They pocket the THB100.

possible , i grant you

strange report ,

possible , i grant you

It's more than possible,it happens.There have been quite a few posters that this has happened to.

they need to have someone travel around and calibrate the pumps. at one station they put in 10 liters more than my truck will hold. I made the station owner aware of it and when there was no repsonse so I told everyoen in the village. That seems to have gotten their attention. Sons of Bastages!

A Jet station once wanted to charge me for 70-something liters of gas after filling up my car that has a 42 liter tank. I told them that my car holds 42 liters maximum and asked them to please wait while I call the police. Suddenly they just wanted to get paid for 42 liters.

I remember some of the members posting about the shell station on Pattaya Tai scamming customers by not resetting the pumps. I was short of petrol one day and had to go there and the guy on the pump tried to scam me, lucky I'd been warned, he didn't get to scam me, but gave me a filthy look as if I was the one who was out of order. If the petrol companies want to put a stop to it, it's not only customer image but that they are losing money to their employees.

Since it seems like a pervasive problem, it might be prudent to just ask for N litres, that way you can compute the total cost yourself. Or just eliminate the attendants at the service station, and pump the gas yourself.

If the pump is shorting the amount of gasoline (in other words "one litre" is less than an actual litre), then this problem can only be resolved with gov't intervention (with surprise inspections, heavy fines, etc).

Department of Internal Trade to impose measures on cheating at oil stations

The Department of Internal Trade plans to consult with seven oil distributors tomorrow (Jan 10) to seek ways to prevent station officers from taking any advantage of the sales of gasoline.

Department of Internal Trade deputy director-general Songklod Ubonsingh (ทรงกลด อุบลสิงห์) revealed that a number of motorists have complained about station officers who unfairly adjust the amount of gasoline sold for their won advantage.

Mr. Songklod said the deceptive station officers will use a piece of cloth to support the pump lever so the quantity gauge would keep on moving when it has to stop in actuality.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 January 2007

I was a victim of this recently at Caltex in Kathu, Phuket. Didn't reset the meter. I just paid them what I guessed I owed and drove off.

Now I keep on an eye on them, but they still love to fill the tank and p1ss an extra 5 baht's worth all over the outside of the tank for me.

Mr. Songklod said the deceptive station officers will use a piece of cloth to support the pump lever so the quantity gauge would keep on moving when it has to stop in actuality.

OK , must be someone here who can explain this for me ???

OK , must be someone here who can explain this for me ???

Glad someone else noticed that. They work on flow rate not by the fact the lever is depressed or not.

I don't know if its correct that small pumps may charged more .., But normaly when i fill up my motorbiketank than its 80 B.. last time i went to a smaller handpump on the Karon side at Patong/phuket and he charged me 100 B and my tank wasn't evn full, I said ???? he said yes big pump price not same as smallerpump

( although I did before and was 80 :o

I don't know if its correct that small pumps may charged more .., But normaly when i fill up my motorbiketank than its 80 B.. last time i went to a smaller handpump on the Karon side at Patong/phuket and he charged me 100 B and my tank wasn't evn full, I said ???? he said yes big pump price not same as smallerpump

( although I did before and was 80 :o

if you mean out of a barrel then he's correct ,

they take the barrel to the station to fill ......................

I've never been short-measured myself (or not that I know!) but have twice had charge cards cloned at petrol stations in Phuket. A bloody nuisance, since they were UK cards of which replacements can only be sent to my UK address.

So, yes, any 'cleaning up' of gas stations would suit me.

Internal Trade Department to prevent cheating at petrol stations

BANGKOK: -- The Internal Trade Department will call a meeting Wednesday with Thailand's eight leading petrol station operators - PTT, Conoco, Caltex Oil, Esso Standard, Shell, BCP, Siam United Services and Petronas - to find measures to prevent cheating at fuel pumps.

just more corruption its the same all over ... if they ever check them market folks with their rusty falling apart scales..... funny how small a kilo of pork can be at some sellers

We had a problem here in the USA with pump owners "rigging" the meters to deliver less petrol/gasoline than purchased but showing more delivered on the pump. Much like the Thai taxi drivers do to their meters. However, the state regulators started making snap rounds of the stations, checking the meters, fininng and imprisoning the owners and it quickly stopped. :o

Cordially,

Khun Bill

Twice recently attendants have tried to short-change me. Same "mistake" both times which made me wonder. I bought 500 baht worth, gave then 1000 and they handed me back 5 notes - but 2 of them were 50's. Reckon the cashier was probably in on the scam as well as the attendant. I've stopped going to that place.

Ona lighter note, I was returning from Pattaya to Bangkok and pulled into a "reputable" gas station, got 1000B diesel and decided to have a smoke whilst waiting for the wife to do her thing in the rest room. Lighter was empty so I went to the cashier to buy a new one, they had none. The girl rooted around and found a box of matches which she sold me for 2B. Sitting down to enjoy a smoke, I opened the box and neatly folde inside was a 500B note. Someones scam money?? I will leave it to yourselves wether I returned the note or not. :o

My wife's mother is vehemently suspicious of all fuel stations, and every time goes in for a fill up the first thing she tells the attendant is that she wants a proper tax receipt showing how much fuel was purchased at what cost. They always give it to her too--must be a regulation. I don't know whether this tactic reduces cheating, but it might intimidate them.

My wife's mother is vehemently suspicious of all fuel stations, and every time goes in for a fill up the first thing she tells the attendant is that she wants a proper tax receipt showing how much fuel was purchased at what cost. They always give it to her too--must be a regulation. I don't know whether this tactic reduces cheating, but it might intimidate them.

Nah, that is something the government encouraged everybody to do a couple of years ago to make it more difficult for them to cheat with VAT payments... Won't help the consumer.

>It's more than possible,it happens.There have been quite a few posters ....

The simple cure to this problem, get out of the car when you stop at the gas station, make them aware that you are looking at the pump so they reset it. Then ask for XXX Baht of fuel, they punch that amount in and the pump stops at that number.

Granted, if the pump is under delivering this will not help and be bad if you want a lot of fuel. The only solution is to carry out your own checks on your local station, I think I'll take a gallon can with me next time.