Rising Islamophobia In Thailand Irrational And Dangerous: Scholars

webfact

Rising Islamophobia In Thailand Irrational And Dangerous: Scholars

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

nomasjid.hed_.jpg

BANGKOK — After Muslims in Khon Kaen registered a converted home as their place of worship – the northeast province’s seventh such venue – a local Buddhist group cited terrorism in its petition asking the governor to deny it.

“Buddhists in the locale and its vicinity are of the opinion that waves of terrorism are spreading all over … so people don’t want the mosque built because they fear unrest in the area like what’s happening in the southern border provinces,” the letter said, which urged the governor to “extinguish the fire in the early stages.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/10/02/rising-islamophobia-thailand-irrational-dangerous-scholars/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-02

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rise is not only in Thailand but also around the world and with good cause.

On a local level I hear the mosques seem to be calling prayer a lot louder than before. Just annoying people.

Internationally well the UK, France, Belgium, Canada just a few places to mention have a justifiable cause to start hating Islam. juts see the TV on a weekly basis and the acts of terror in the name of Islam will see why people are detesting it.

In Chiang Mai on Chang Peuak rd, they tore down the old Mosque and are now building a super multi level behemoth. Also there is the confounded noise issues (some yelling lunatic )    at certain times where it is also 99% Buddhist area. They just built a Hotel here too down on Charoen Prathep rd near yet another old Mosque. This area is Muslim and becoming more and more taken over. They are definitely on the run expanding. Let them have their token little Mosque out of sight and keep it at that. 

Same thing in Bangkok, getting out of control in the Bangkapi area. 

Just not a fan of Muslim or Christianity expanding here. But at least for the most part, excluding the Mormon missionaries, most Christian orgs are quest non confrontational and under the radar. 

Yes, there is more chance of getting killed on the roads than a terrorist attack in Khon Kaen but they were looking ahead in their letter, which urged the governor to “extinguish the fire in the early stages.”

Something the West has not done.....

53 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The rise is not only in Thailand but also around the world and with good cause.

On a local level I hear the mosques seem to be calling prayer a lot louder than before. Just annoying people.

Internationally well the UK, France, Belgium, Canada just a few places to mention have a justifiable cause to start hating Islam. juts see the TV on a weekly basis and the acts of terror in the name of Islam will see why people are detesting it.

More like nearly daily.....

Well, I know some people will groan, but in my view it is religious majorities in various countries that are more of a risk than religious minorities.

So it is more than OK to condemn oppression of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia (or even Muslim oppression of other Muslims), genocide of Muslim Rohingya in mostly Buddhist Myanmar,  extremist Christian motivated right wing terrorism in the USA, the occupation of the west bank by the Jewish state of Israel, etc. 

But Muslims when they are a minority really do get an unfair bad rap. 

Moving against them too harshly only fuels more of them to get involved with radical violent dogmas.

It doesn't have to be that way in Thailand.

I suggest the Thai government get involved in an early educational requirement to teach peaceful coexistence and tolerance of different religions and races to very young children. That's a good start anyway. 

Edited by Jingthing

Leave it to China to take this to a whole new level.

I read that they are forcing muzzlims there to turn in their korans and prayer mats.

Was wondering if its fake news as I don't hear the usual uproar.

Guess no one wants to upset the Chinese for their great contribution to global commerce and economic progress.

Edited by JHolmesJr

21 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

In Chiang Mai on Chang Peuak rd, they tore down the old Mosque and are now building a super multi level behemoth. Also there is the confounded noise issues (some yelling lunatic )    at certain times where it is also 99% Buddhist area. They just built a Hotel here too down on Charoen Prathep rd near yet another old Mosque. This area is Muslim and becoming more and more taken over. They are definitely on the run expanding. Let them have their token little Mosque out of sight and keep it at that. 

Same thing in Bangkok, getting out of control in the Bangkapi area. 

Just not a fan of Muslim or Christianity expanding here. But at least for the most part, excluding the Mormon missionaries, most Christian orgs are quest non confrontational and under the radar. 

If they had built a Bar instead ,   I would have been impressed 

3 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Leave it to China to take this to a whole new level.

I read that they are forcing muzzlims there to turn in their korans and prayer mats.

Was wondering if its fake news as I don't hear the usual uproar.

Guess no one wants to upset the Chinese for their great contribution to global commerce and economic progress.

Austria just turned up the heat on the no full veil deal. But his applies to all people and other face covering things.

Look, I'm not naive.

I fully realize there is a significant percentage of Muslims in the world that would love to see me killed for triple header reasons.

So I take these issues of tolerance and it's realistic limits personally. 

(That's not Islamophobia. That's realism. It's not pleasant, but it's real.)

But I just don't think Muslim communities when they are smallish minority in a nation (as in Thailand) are particularly threatening. 

To add, do I hate and fear Muslims that would like to see me dead? Duh. Of course. It would be self hatred not to. But that isn't ALL Muslims. Hating and fearing ALL Muslims is indeed irrational. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“Buddhists in the locale and its vicinity are of the opinion that waves of terrorism are spreading all over … so people don’t want the mosque built because they fear unrest in the area like what’s happening in the southern border provinces,” the letter said, which urged the governor to “extinguish the fire in the early stages.”

Sigh...

Edited by Bluespunk

I say do not allow this to become tomorrows problem.

Religion, any religion for that matter, but particularly Islam in combination with low Education is a threat to stability.

Even in "high Education" Countries you get the low Educated immigrants to be brainwashed by some so called "Scholars".

It is happening all over the World and the Muslims themselves are too afraid to speak out and stop it.

So let's hope, but don't hold your breath, that the Thais will see this coming early enough.

If you give them the small finger today then it is the whole arm tomorrow...

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

Muslims should be restricted to their southern provinces , not spread around the country.

This would be ideal but difficult if not impossible to enforce without conceding those provinces to them; if the junta wasn't so preoccupied with dismantling representational democracy it might turn its hand to doing something positive about the Muslim threat like controlling the number of mosques/prayer houses allowed along with all other 'guest' religions' places of worship but most especially with Islam because of its strong political element, along with practices that cause public offence or nuisance.

Edited by piersbeckett

36 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It's a Muslim region...are you saying they should change centuries of tradition to suit you?

Noise pollution is noise pollution ofcourse depending where it is at, and you are wrong again, it is not a Muslim region up in the North or even in the Bangkok area. They should be fully restricted same as the foreigners (us) are. Thailand is a Buddhist country. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I know some people will groan, but in my view it is religious majorities in various countries that are more of a risk than religious minorities.

So it is more than OK to condemn oppression of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia (or even Muslim oppression of other Muslims), genocide of Muslim Rohingya in mostly Buddhist Myanmar,  extremist Christian motivated right wing terrorism in the USA, the occupation of the west bank by the Jewish state of Israel, etc. 

But Muslims when they are a minority really do get an unfair bad rap. 

Moving against them too harshly only fuels more of them to get involved with radical violent dogmas.

It doesn't have to be that way in Thailand.

I suggest the Thai government get involved in an early educational requirement to teach peaceful coexistence and tolerance of different religions and races to very young children. That's a good start anyway. 

Best answer for that.

LOL X 100

Look.

Get real.

Islam exists.

Muslim people exist.

Immigration of Muslims is a big issue in some nations.

Not Thailand.

Basically, if you feel Islamophobic (forgetting the immigration issue for a moment) the choices are oppression, genocide, or sincere attempts at peaceful coexistence. 

Edited by Jingthing

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Look.

Get real.

Islam exists.

Muslim people exist.

Immigration is of Muslims is a big issue in some nations.

Not Thailand.

Basically, if you feel Islamophobic (forgetting the immigration issue for a moment) the choices are oppression, genocide, or sincere attempts at peaceful coexistence. 

I lived in a "mixed town" 40 years ago and left 10 years ago , we rubbed along with the muslim immegrants ,they took over the shops and lived around that area , they sold pork sausages and beer ,there were not that many and most wore western clothes , over the years it changed more and more of them arrived ,the Mosque was built , they stopped selling pork sausages and spirits and beer , the women started to dress in burkhas and many of the men started to wear non western clothing , now its a different world ,they do not mix ,they have taken over the area ,the old church is a muslim meeting hall as is the old Jewish hall . 

the pubs have closed and although it is not a no go area ,you do not feel welcome and i would not go there at night . their aim is to take over and convert us "all back to being muslims' its in their teachings ,that once we were all muslim ,and must be brought back to the faith ,as i have said before after working with them for 20 years ,they do not "like" us and there is not one i would trust .

they cant live in peacful coexistance together ,let alone with non muslims

Edited by bert bloggs

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

You stand a x-times better chance to be mowed down by an incompetent driver, than die in a terrorist attack!

Anyone protesting drivers?

Thought so!

Interesting that you can't understand the difference between incompetent or negligent drivers and murderous fanatical terrorists.

The real issue is that not all Muslims are radical, extreme fanatics conducting a Jihad. In fact, the vast majority aren't.

Edited by Baerboxer

The South has completely different problems; it's mainly the (late) after-effects of a massive land grab from back-when. To draw parallels between Khon Kaen (or most other central/northern towns) and what's happening in Europe with immigrants is completely ridiculous. There's no foreign influx here, no calls for special laws/treatment, and (lucky enough) no politicians playing with the thought of yes well maybe sharia law could be acceptable... I'm weary of all organized religions, and yes, I'm fully aware that most Muslim countries don't even come near to showing the tolerance their members enjoy in the west and here, but islamophobia isn't going to do ANYTHING positive, for anyone!

Edited by AsiaCheese

33 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Noise pollution is noise pollution ofcourse depending where it is at, and you are wrong again, it is not a Muslim region up in the North or even in the Bangkok area. They should be fully restricted same as the foreigners (us) are. Thailand is a Buddhist country. 

No, it's a multi-faith country where all citizens have the right to practice their faith, no matter what outsiders ''think''