Should the British Government be responsible for housing and feeding ex-pats returning from Thailand?

webfact

I like Britain and the British people have been many times.

But, after almost 2 years full time in Pats, I have never met a Brit with a positive attitude.

Dirty teeth, smoking, over weight, drink too much, and always negative.  I cannot think of a nice or positive comment ever.

Ever met a Brit at the gym or being positive about exercise or health or life?

They seem to like to ask you: Where you from?  Then go into some negative attack about that place. 

It is very sad I think.

Like I said, had some great memories in Britain some beautiful places and people.

But, have not met a one here.

Maybe some day...

Edited by bkk6060

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, The manic said:

You don't. As a nation we give more help than any country on earth. Unfortunately.

This is totally false. The USA, New Zealand and Canada, in that order, have the highest rate of charitable donations as a percentage of GDP. The UK had the fourth highest rate of charitable donations. I suppose with the new Thai Booze and Smokes Tax, you might consider yourselfs the largest donor in Thailand. And, few of you are showing much charity towards this suffering soul. One thing, you seem to like is kicking people when they are down. 

13 minutes ago, The manic said:

He is British citizen. He paid taxes when he was in the UK. Whilst living outside the UK he has used no UK resources. His family have paid taxes. His parents and grandparents cough in two world wars. The current anti expat laws are a disgrace.

As with many posts in this topic, including the OP, the above shows a complete ignorance if the actual facts about returning ex pats.

Of course, this man wont be entitled to any contribution based benefits, except his pension when he reaches the required age assuming he has paid the minimum number of NICs for that, as he hasn't paid any NICs for the last 15 years. He also wouldn't be entitled to income based JSA until he'd been living in the UK for three months. But he is entitled to income support and other means tested benefits immediately upon his return provided he can show he has returned to the UK to resume residence.

See here.

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

But, after almost 2 years full time in Pats, I have never met a Brit with a positive attitude.

Dirty teeth, smoking, over weight, drink too much, and always negative.  I cannot think of a nice or positive comment ever.

They seem to like to ask you: Where you from?  Then go into some negative attack about that place. 

It is very sad I think.

Like I said, had some great memories in Britain some beautiful places and people.

Maybe some day...

I have a Brit neighbor in Bangkok who works offshore and is the total opposite to what you have observed. Must be down to Pattaya. I hear it can drive people to drink smoke and negative thoughts.

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is very sad I think.

Maybe some day...

Hey did you not realise the fellow Brits did not like them either maybe they came here where they feel at home, A bit sad for the locals through.

Britain has one of the highest memberships of gyms in the world and those Gyms do not keep going broke unlike some.

Not an atypical story, but the guy Mark is blinded by his own actions.  He is ignoring what the UK could do for him if he was a somewhat active participant in the society. But he isn't and hasn't been a participant.  Now he rationalizes how he could instead have continued to hang out in Thailand, scrounge for food, etc.  And then what?  How to work or pay or support his  wife or family?  None of that is going to happen.  It is so easy to rationalize away things, and blame others.  I understand that.  Who hasn't done a little "sour grapes" now and then? 

10 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Glad that you said now 35, many Brits in Thailand had to pay in 44yrs, and still on a frozen pension.

35 years worth of NICs and/or credits is the minimum required to receive the full state pension upon retirement, unless you are a man born before 6th April 1951 or a woman born before 6th April 1953 where it is still 30 years.

Of course, many people will have paid in for longer than this. By the time I reach the current state pension age for those born in 1955 I will have been paying NICs for 51 years. 

Unless the government change it again!

4 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Neither 7 x 7 nor any government site makes the claim that certain people are exempt from the regulations. Only you have stated that and , for obvious reasons, cannot back up your statement.

Sorry, I've got a very busy week,without going through all the government regulations. However as mentioned by 1 T.V member earlier in this thread, children of British children who are not resident in the UK or the EU are not entitled to child benefits. Yet citizens of the E!U can and do claim these benefits, even if that child has no connection with the U.K.

Further more a returning British citizen,from outside the E.U.  with British children must  wait for 3 months before he can claim this benefit, if they arrived back in the UK after the 1st July 2014

Exceptions

If they are Croations and have a certificate to work.

Are a refugee ( you can make your own definition of who is a refugee)

Have been granted discretionary leave to enter or stay in the UK,and can get benefits.

A person who is subject to immigration control,unless their from Algeria,Morroco,San Marino,Tunisia, or Turkey and working in the UK..

Many other countries are exempt from these regulations, if they have an agreement with the U.K. These include Serbia, Macidonia, Kosovo.

As I say, if you have the time to trawl through all the rules and regulations you will find many Exceptions. My main complaint is, if we can give these exceptions to citizens of other countries, why not to our own people. Especially as many of them have paid,into the system, and many may still be doing so.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is very sad I think.

Maybe some day...

You are obviously looking in the wrong place.

Neither Pattaya nor Bangkok represent Thailand and I would suggest (without proof or facts of course) that there are probably more Brits living outsaide those 2 areas than are living within them.

Try looking around rural Thailand as lots of us thoroughly enjoy our lives away from the cities and most of us have a positive attitude and outlook on life.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is very sad I think.

Maybe some day...

No bad weather to moan about you see!

Honestly, I think you must be hanging around Pattaya a bit too much.

It also depends on what you mean about a positive attitude.  I remember being around an American mate.  Every time I simply evaluated something, or expressed dislike, he'd tell me to quit whining.  He was pretty good at moaning himself.  Ditto a very good Aussie mate of mine.

A lot of fish out of water in Thailand.  I think they are basically homesick, and paradoxically life can be too good.

Edited by mommysboy

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

It's now 35 if you are talking about the state pension.

And for those of us not now in the Baby Boomer years : those with less than 10 years contributions they will get no state pension. Current plans are that those with payments between 10 to 35 years of NIC's will be paid a sum proportional to their period of contributions.

Some random points :

As for eligibility of using the NHS, etc. the term "Normal Residency" is worth looking up with regard to time spent outside of the UK. I do also believe that I am correct in stating that on leaving the UK/EU to live further afield you should have instructed your GP to remove you from his books. (Yep, like that's going to happen!) Also, assets held abroad such as property may go against the individual if claiming to have returned for good. Be aware that this Christmas sees the role out of Universal Credit which may have further ramifications to previously discussed claims.

Finally, keep abreast of the news as things are changing constantly....

8 minutes ago, moobie said:

And for those of us not now in the Baby Boomer years : those with less than 10 years contributions they will get no state pension. Current plans are that those with payments between 10 to 35 years of NIC's will be paid a sum proportional to their period of contributions.

Some random points :

As for eligibility of using the NHS, etc. the term "Normal Residency" is worth looking up with regard to time spent outside of the UK. I do also believe that I am correct in stating that on leaving the UK/EU to live further afield you should have instructed your GP to remove you from his books. (Yep, like that's going to happen!) Also, assets held abroad such as property may go against the individual if claiming to have returned for good. Be aware that this Christmas sees the role out of Universal Credit which may have further ramifications to previously discussed claims.

A very good posting, and much needed, because quite a few on the forum are under the impression that good behaviour, paying extra tax, and not claiming benefits before offer them some sort of protection.

Bild is right- I remember now that it was indeed 44 years for guys born before 1945.

But anyone resident in UK can easily reach 30, 35, and even 44 years can easily reach the requirement, because if you are not working then your stamps get paid, and if in prison too. So, in a way the qualifying years aren't a big factor.

Some random points :

A very good posting, and much needed, because quite a few on the forum are under the impression that good behaviour, paying extra tax, and not claiming benefits before offer them some sort of protection.

Bild is right- I remember now that it was indeed 44 years for guys born before 1945.

But anyone resident in UK can easily reach 30, 35, and even 44 years can easily reach the requirement, because if you are not working then your stamps get paid, and if in prison too. So, in a way the qualifying years aren't a big factor.

Some random points :

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is very sad I think.

Maybe some day...

You maybe lucky then to meet ol' Trans...

I have been in LOS many years (not Pats), I am English, heading for 70 years old, l have all my own "clean"  teeth, smoke, and l go to the gym to fool with weights near every other day..Oh, here's me and Mrs.Trans, me holding a fag behind my back....:stoner:

59d58f36c3675_MeandNap.jpg.676c0302b85d29fdaa6271a679e2173d.jpg

On 03/10/2017 at 7:59 AM, darksidedog said:

The individual in this story doesn't exactly cover himself in glory in his efforts, but it does raise the bigger question of those returning who have paid many, many years of Taxes and N.I. but for whom life overseas, for whatever reason has ended. As a UK citizen, you would like to think you would be offered at least the same benefits as recently arrived immigrants.

I think you have raised the more pertinent and interesting question.  I agree that a tax payment threshold of say 25 or 30 years should give you an entitlement to at least be treated as a resident UK citizen for the purposes of benefits such as  index linked pension, free access to the NHS, free prescriptions after 60 that can be accessed in LOS, perhaps through the Embassy.  Just because we choose to live elsewhere, doesn't mean we give away the right to be British.  

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I think you have raised the more pertinent and interesting question.  I agree that a tax payment threshold of say 25 or 30 years should give you an entitlement to at least be treated as a resident UK citizen for the purposes of benefits such as  index linked pension, free access to the NHS, free prescriptions after 60 that can be accessed in LOS, perhaps through the Embassy.  Just because we choose to live elsewhere, doesn't mean we give away the right to be British.  

That's the rub. Where if anywhere do you draw the line? Number of years paying in, amount paid in, amount not used, etc?

Edited by inThailand
spelling

6 minutes ago, inThailand said:

That's the rub. Where if any whete do you draw the line?  Number of years paying in, amount paid in, amount not used, etc?

I guess that the obvious threshold is the NI contribution years needed for as full pension, which I think is 35 years paying in.  I think that is a bit harsh for the limited number of benefits that I listed, so I would say 20 years is fair.  Of course, anyone who just payed in for 25 years would not be entitled to a full UK pension, but would still get index linking of a reduced amount.  Slightly off topic I guess. 

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The 44yr rule was not for people born before 1945.as I personnal know, not being born before 1945. If my memory  is correct it was during the Gordon Brown government when the rules were changed.

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is very sad I think.

Maybe some day...

So another Brit nicked your latest ' girlfriend ' , we understand , really we do.

14 hours ago, nontabury said:

Sorry, I've got a very busy week,without going through all the government regulations. However as mentioned by 1 T.V member earlier in this thread, children of British children who are not resident in the UK or the EU are not entitled to child benefits. Yet citizens of the E!U can and do claim these benefits, even if that child has no connection with the U.K.

Further more a returning British citizen,from outside the E.U.  with British children must  wait for 3 months before he can claim this benefit, if they arrived back in the UK after the 1st July 2014

Exceptions

If they are Croations and have a certificate to work.

Are a refugee ( you can make your own definition of who is a refugee)

Have been granted discretionary leave to enter or stay in the UK,and can get benefits.

A person who is subject to immigration control,unless their from Algeria,Morroco,San Marino,Tunisia, or Turkey and working in the UK..

Many other countries are exempt from these regulations, if they have an agreement with the U.K. These include Serbia, Macidonia, Kosovo.

As I say, if you have the time to trawl through all the rules and regulations you will find many Exceptions. My main complaint is, if we can give these exceptions to citizens of other countries, why not to our own people. Especially as many of them have paid,into the system, and many may still be doing so.

Thanks , I will take a look , suspect the EU might have had some input along the line.

It is very sad I think.

Maybe some day...

Well I hope your viewpoint on British can be swayed, and I’m certainly not negative but a staunch realist.

As for the title of thread, each to they’re own views however all nationalities need to be responsible of they’re own actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I paid up it was 30 years contributions- i may have to check with Newcastle and see if i need to top up another 5 years of contributions. May not be worth it in the long run though as I'm only 54 and who knows what the pension will be like in the future.

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

When I paid up it was 30 years contributions- i may have to check with Newcastle and see if i need to top up another 5 years of contributions. May not be worth it in the long run though as I'm only 54 and who knows what the pension will be like in the future.

Think at the mo, and it may change by the time you reach 68, it is 35 years...But when you reach 68 it could be a weekly sum of 200+ quid...