Going From Married Visa To Education Visa

My married visa expires on the 20th October, and my wife and i are divorcing soon after.  I am 46, and would like to move across to an education visa. (I do already study thai, so it is legitimate).

I went to the language school today, and they told me it was simple enough to do, but they would need to send the papers off to Prachuap, and the application normally takes about 3 weeks.  I would therefore be past my married visa expiry date.

Can i go to immigration and get a 30 day extension on my married visa, so as to allow plenty of time for my education visa to go through?  

Also, does anyone foresee any problems moving across from married to education visa using the steps i describe?  the school tells me it will be plain sailing, but i guess they would................

Thanks in advance for any advice / help 

:wai:

If your wife is agreeable 60 days based on marriage. She would need to go with you to immigration.

Tm7 filled in

Copy of passport face page  and relevent in use visa page. Passport size pic of you.

Copy wifes ID and Tabien signed by her.

1900bht.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

Thanks Jeab! 

and then going directly from a visa based on marriage to an education visa is perfectly ok you think?

the reason i ask, is that i heard that changing a visa based on marriage to an education visa was not possible, and i first had to change to an O (or was it non O.....) visa, and then onto an education visa

7 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

Thanks Jeab! 

and then going directly from a visa based on marriage to an education visa is perfectly ok you think?

the reason i ask, is that i heard that changing a visa based on marriage to an education visa was not possible, and i first had to change to an O (or was it non O.....) visa, and then onto an education visa

Slightly confused are you on an extensuon based on marriage or a non o based on marriage?

Really cant answer that im afraid i suspect someone with the correct answer will come along.

If that is not possible surley you could get a ED visa over in loas. If your language school provide all the nessasary paper work. There are some good threads on that.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from marriage to attending school. You cannot change non immigrant visa categories without getting a new visa from an embassy or consulate.

If you are still married your wife may have to give permission for you to change the reason for your extension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

Slightly OT, but I wonder if it's possible to study whilst on marriage visa?

I have a non-o spouse visa and want to study but I'm not interested to change for a ED visa. 

Thanks in advance, and sorry for hijacking your thread. 

No restrictions on a Non Imm O Visa to study.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

Slightly OT, but I wonder if it's possible to study whilst on marriage visa?

I have a non-o spouse visa and want to study but I'm not interested to change for a ED visa. 

You can attend school with any visa. The only reason people get a non-ed visa and extensions is for the permit to stay it allows.

• Thanks 1