Identification required please.

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I'll go for Rat Snake.

Might have a go at biting you but no venom involved.

Almost harmless except for the nippy bite. Leave it alone it will leave you alone and eat all the shi--y rats in the area.

Many thanks for this. Have compared to Google images and you are correct. Will pass this onto the family so they know and will leave them alone. 

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'll go for Rat Snake.

Might have a go at biting you but no venom involved.

Almost harmless except for the nippy bite. Leave it alone it will leave you alone and eat all the shi--y rats in the area.

That's a bit worrying as I'd assumed rat snakes were 'fatter' and, as a consequence, also assumed the big, broad snakes seen occasionally in the garden (that shot off, rather than rearing up) were rat snakes!  It now seems more likely they were cobras.

Not a problem (as I keep my distance anyway), apart from one time when I reached over a low wall without looking, to pick up a pot - and realised a large snake had been resting amongst the pots when it shot off in the opposite direction.  Not sure who had the greater fright - me or the snake!  If, as now seems likely, it was a cobra - I was v lucky not to be bitten :shock1:.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

That's a bit worrying as I'd assumed rat snakes were 'fatter' and, as a consequence, also assumed the big, broad snakes seen occasionally in the garden (that shot off, rather than rearing up) were rat snakes!  It now seems more likely they were cobras.

Not a problem (as I keep my distance anyway), apart from one time when I reached over a low wall without looking, to pick up a pot - and realised a large snake had been resting amongst the pots when it shot off in the opposite direction.  Not sure who had the greater fright - me or the snake!  If, as now seems likely, it was a cobra - I was v lucky not to be bitten :shock1:.

I'm no expert and the only snake I will deal with myself is the golden tree snake when it's smallish, under a metre, and it's markings are very clear. see att.

Anything of any other colour is a no-no and the local catch team are called. It's easy to tell by their reaction what it's likely to be.

The golden tree snake will usually race of when approached, seen one throw itself over the wall from a tree.

If stuck in a corner it will launch a bite at you but very very unlikely.

As I said anything brown or dark I leave well alone.

images (47).jpg

Agree, the only snake I'm 99% sure I can identify (unless they are cobra-like, and rear up....) is the golden tree snake.  Harmless, but they can be suprisingly aggressive when trying to move them away.

Edit - fortunately, in my experience (and I've seen MANY where I live....) they all shoot off as quickly as possible, given the chance.  I've only come across one (king or monocled cobra?) that had no intention of 'backing off', even though I was at least 6 metres away.

Edited by dick dasterdly

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2017 at 1:04 PM, overherebc said:

Hate to see them dead. 

Stupid neighbour just killed one of the biggest and beautiful golden tree snakes I've seen.

Idiot kept telling me it would kill you with one bite.

Thats an idiot for sure. Most Thais know their local snakes. I'll soon dispatch of a cobra or pit viper though.