Getting my divorce in thailand

jamesmacleod

Hi TV! I was wondering if anyone could give me some brief help kindly!

I married in 2005 in Thailand (Bang Rak office in Bangkok I think)

My Thai wife divorced me in 2016 and we got the decree absolute last year! We divorced In the UK!

I have sent the decree absolute to the FCO and they have signed of the decree absolute as real, I got my decree absolute translated by someone who officially translates for the Thai Embassy and the Thai embassy have stamped off my documents! 

I am wondering what I have to do now?

I assume I now take the documents to Thailand and go to the district office in Bangkok and give my paperwork to them and for a fee my divorce will be official in thailand!

is that right? any info would be greatly appreciated! (The Thai embassy are hard to get in contact with) 

Yes, you can take your paperwork to the district office and they will register your divorce for you......but why bother unless you are going to get married again inThailand.???  You are divorced, period, and If you live in the UK and are not marrying again in Thailand then there is no benefit gained.

HL

I have been engaged since the new year to a lovely teacher from Saraburi and while we plan to marry in the UK next year, we have been thinking about marrying quietly in Bangkok! many thanks HL

The Thai embassy wouldn't explain anything to me and the translator was not much help at all

17 hours ago, happylarry said:

Yes, you can take your paperwork to the district office and they will register your divorce for you......but why bother unless you are going to get married again inThailand.???  You are divorced, period, and If you live in the UK and are not marrying again in Thailand then there is no benefit gained.

HL

You might be divorced, but the register in Thailand says you are still married. Third parties therefor can claim that they are not aware of the divorce, (after all the records show that you are married), and still hold you accountable for household debts of your ex.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:36 AM, Preacher said:

You might be divorced, but the register in Thailand says you are still married. Third parties therefor can claim that they are not aware of the divorce, (after all the records show that you are married), and still hold you accountable for household debts of your ex.

Bingo. 

And vice versa 

I'am from usa and divorced from thai girl that i married in thailand. I have re married this yr in thailand . all i needed was to show proof of my divorce from my x. and had to get that translated into thai.

thats all you need if you get remarried , you can tell the registration place, but no need, if your x remarries she will have to do it.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:28 PM, thaijoe said:

I'am from usa and divorced from thai girl that i married in thailand. I have re married this yr in thailand . all i needed was to show proof of my divorce from my x. and had to get that translated into thai.

thats all you need if you get remarried , you can tell the registration place, but no need, if your x remarries she will have to do it.

SO why should he have to come all the way to Thailand when by rights she should have to update her current life status 

A bit like if she applies for something in a legal way they may ask the question of Single / Married or ect

On 10/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, happylarry said:

HL

Yes just wasted money