Antibiotics for cold?

ChomDo

Hi,

I got curious about this topic since it seems to me that doctors and pharmacists automatically prescribe antibiotics for cold symptoms. If I'm correct mild flu symptoms are commonly caused by 3 different types: virus, common cold and bacterial infection. Only one of these (bacteria) can be treated by antibiotics, am I correct? So why is it that every time they would give antibiotics? This is of course very different in Europe but is it that most colds in Thailand are just caused by bacteria or something?  

I don't have any kinds of flues or colds often (maybe once in 2 years) but now I've just had a running/blocked etc. nose for 12 days and my pharmacist (whom I usually trust) said that I should take antibiotics. I'm pretty sure local doctors would say the same or at least in the past they have when I had just mild cold symptoms. I just wonder how can they know that it's not just a common cold or virus if the symptoms are so mild?

Colds are usually caused by rhinoviruses, so antibiotics will do nothing to cure them.  However, there are respiratory bacterial infections that have similar symptoms to colds that will respond to antibiotics.

Personally, I would only use decongestants or antihistamines to relieve the symptoms and let your immune system fight the cause.

Thanks for this info. I guess even a better pharmacist couldn't know which one you have before telling you to take antibiotics? This time I didn't bother going to see a doctor because the symptoms are so mild (no fever, no tiredness, soar throat for only 3 days). It's just that I've had running and blocked nose for nearly 2 weeks and wanted just to get something to ease that. I did mention to the pharmacist that my ears are getting blocked from blowing my nose for 2 weeks so maybe he misunderstood that I might also have an ear infection.

I usually have the same experience at the clinic so I was just wondering that do they really see if it's a bacteria by just having a quick look at your throat or are they more like guessing?

• 2 months later...

To tell you the truth I don't drink any of their prescribed antibiotics. In the first place I never go to a hospital or a doctor visit for a common cold, like sneezing or coughing in Thailand, because the first thing the doctors do is prescribe paracetamol and antibiotics that will burden your liver and make bacteria inside your body more tolerant to the antibiotics . Why would you go to a hospital and pay a thick bill when there is a pharmacy next to you door that sells the same medicine for peanuts?

Furthermore there are natural remedies to prevent, alleviate and cure a common cold, like warm real ginger teas with lime juice added, more fruit to your diet and off you go. No doctors needed, unless you develop pneumonia :)

"Cold" is a lay term for a viral upper  respiratory infection. 

Overprescription of antibiotics is the norm here and Thai customers expect it.

Running and blocked nose are not suggestive of a bacterial infection and antibiotics will likely be of no use.

Antihistamines and decongestants are more to the point. As it has lasted 2 week as, allergy is a definite possibility.

If it persists you might do well to consult an ENT. there are anti-inflammatory nasal sprays that might be indicated as might nasal/sinus rinses with saline.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"Cold" is a lay term for a viral upper  respiratory infection. 

Overprescription of antibiotics is the norm here and Thai customers expect it.

Running and blocked nose are not suggestive of a bacterial infection and antibiotics will likely be of no use.

Antihistamines and decongestants are more to the point. As it has lasted 2 week as, allergy is a definite possibility.

If it persists you might do well to consult an ENT. there are anti-inflammatory nasal sprays that might be indicated as might nasal/sinus rinses with saline.

I think a key sign of possible bacterial infection is green mucous, low fever, possible headache, and maybe sore neck/shoulders.  These don't appear to be present.

Sounds like a simple allergy problem to me, but it couldn't turn bacterial quite easily.

Natural decongestants are best imo  Steam tent, and long showers with water running down back of head with head tucked down.  Some use nasal rinse.

Edited by mommysboy

On 12/20/2017 at 11:57 PM, Thunder26 said:

Why would you go to a hospital and pay a thick bill when there is a pharmacy next to you door that sells the same medicine for peanuts?

I go when it segues into coughing bouts.  In Thailand, only hospitals can dispense codeine, and for me it is by far the most effective treatment for coughing.

10 hours ago, james1995 said:

I get these nasal/cough infections all the time in Thailand.  Wonder why I get them so much now?  I notice I get them more often when I'm in Thailand.

Air pollution especially if you are in Bangkok or CM. Or allergy to soemthing in the air.

Many, many people in Bkk and CM -- Thai and foreigner -- have chronic respiratory problems until they move to areas with cleaner air.

11 hours ago, james1995 said:

I get these nasal/cough infections all the time in Thailand.  Wonder why I get them so much now?  I notice I get them more often when I'm in Thailand.

That's quite common.  It's likely you are suffering from an allergy or reaction to toxins, such as air pollution.