PM Calls to end short-term work contracts

geovalin

Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday called on garment factory owners to reduce the use of short-term employment contracts. Speaking to more than 15,000 workers and employers representing 10 factories in Phnom Penh’s Por Senchey district, Mr Hun Sen said short-term contracts threaten the health of employees.

“When contracts are only for three months, the workers worry and are concerned about whether the factory will continue to employ them or not,” he said. “We have to find a resolution to this problem. “I visited workers in Takeo province’s Bati district. They told me they were worried about always being on short-term contracts.”

The Prime Minister suggested that workers should be given longer contracts after serving three months’ probation. “My visits are teaching me about the challenges facing our workers,” he said. “I want to appeal to all factories, the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, and the Labour Ministry to work together to address this issue.”

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5084729/call-end-short-term-work-contracts/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 05/10