Immigration Hours During HM Cremation Week

19 hours ago, mikosan said:

OK, OK, let's be pedantic.  It is an extension of your permission to stay, for the purposes of retirement, based on the fact that you originally had a Non-Imm O or Non-Imm O-A visa .  If you didn't have the visa in the first place you wouldn't have been able to extend your stay. Yes or no?

It's not pedantic.

Tell that to someone on an extension of stay who leaves the Country and re-enters, only to find his permission to stay ended on his day of exit and he is only allowed to re-enter on a 30 day Visa exempt stamp.

This happens especially to those on the Non Imm O-A Visa, who just before the 'enter before' date do a border run to be granted another 1 year permission to stay. However the Visa and it's multi entry conditions ended on the 'enter before' date.

You need a re-entry permit if your Visa has expired and you need to leave and re-enter during your permission to stay period.

Yes and No!

You can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage even if you incorrectly enter Visa exempt.

Immigration offer an internal conversion system for just such eventualities.

17 hours ago, mikosan said:

Far be it for me to contradict anything that ubonjoe writes on this subject, he is by far the most knowledgeable person I know in these matters.  However, if it was me I would write off the whole of the week commencing 23rd October, be that because the BKK immigration offices will be closed on the dates suggested, but as TIT, anything is subject to change at a moments notice, or because it will be chaos in BKK.

I'd agree with your sentiments for the OP to forget trying to visit Immigration w/c 23rd October.

The OP doesn't arrive until 24th anyway, so the holiday of 23rd is immaterial.

26th Immigration is closed.

The OP has 25th or 27th of that week to visit Immigration, but I believe his Immigration office is in Phitsanulok (not Bangkok) and travel around, in and out of Bangkok will be chaotic that week with millions of Thais travelling to and from the ceremony of 26th.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'd agree with your sentiments for the OP to forget trying to visit Immigration w/c 23rd October.

The OP has 25th or 27th of that week to visit Immigration, but I believe his Immigration office is in Phitsanulok (not Bangkok) and travel around, in and out of Bangkok will be chaotic that week with millions of Thais travelling to and from the ceremony of 26th.

Are there internet kiosks in Isaan? What is the speed like? And how much do they charge? Would you know? 

7 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Are there internet kiosks in Isaan? What is the speed like? And how much do they charge? Would you know? 

Yes, but almost every bar and café have free Wi-Fi.

Speeds are ok, but bandwidth is strangled, dependant on the time of day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes, but almost every bar and café have free Wi-Fi.

Speeds are ok, but bandwidth is strangled, dependant on the time of day.

Thanks. I would be travelling pretty much all over the region given the nature of the business. Even holidays are observed all over the Kingdom without exception, arent they? And you said there were bars and cafes. That's great. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

4 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Thanks. I would be travelling pretty much all over the region given the nature of the business. Even holidays are observed all over the Kingdom without exception, arent they? And you said there were bars and cafes. That's great. 

Only government offices and banks usually close on Public holidays.

Shops and stores are open for business as usual.

I expect though that almost everywhere will be closed on 26th as a sign of respect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It will be interesting. There is also a possibility that Immigration will be rather empty on 24/25 October and, as it's a long way from the funeral location, I doubt there will be much impact on traffic.