Clicking Water Cooler

Oxx

Just got a new water cooler.  It's one of the fancy ones with hot and cold water, and the water tank goes at the bottom and the water is pumped up.

Anyway, it's clicking loudly (sounds like an electric spark).  It'll click every 1-3 seconds for a few minutes, then go silent for perhaps 5 minutes.  Is this normal? And if not, any idea what's wrong with it?

(This is already a replacement from the supplier.  With the first one the thermostat was dodgy, so the compressor never turned off.  It took three technician visits to diagnose this and accept there was a problem.  My partner is now reluctant to complain again, but I can't live with the loud clicking which can be heard in the next room with the door shut.)

Thanks.

Just got a new water cooler.  It's one of the fancy ones with hot and cold water, and the water tank goes at the bottom and the water is pumped up.

Anyway, it's clicking loudly (sounds like an electric spark).  It'll click every 1-3 seconds for a few minutes, then go silent for perhaps 5 minutes.  Is this normal? And if not, any idea what's wrong with it?

(This is already a replacement from the supplier.  With the first one the thermostat was dodgy, so the compressor never turned off.  It took three technician visits to diagnose this and accept there was a problem.  My partner is now reluctant to complain again, but I can't live with the loud clicking which can be heard in the next room with the door shut.)

Thanks.
Did it click before the replacement? If it didn't, it needs to be replaced again.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Did it click before the replacement? If it didn't, it needs to be replaced again.

The old one didn't click.  I'm pretty sure it's a fault, but was hoping for some backup.

And, to be honest, I just want them to take it away - not a replacement.  The clicking is driving me nuts.

The old one didn't click.  I'm pretty sure it's a fault, but was hoping for some backup.

And, to be honest, I just want them to take it away - not a replacement.  The clicking is driving me nuts.
I'm no expert, but could be the temperature switch turning on the heater element. Would probably click on and off to keep the water at the right temperature.

Can you turn the hot water off, so you just have cold water and see if the clicking stops?

Or turn the heater thermostat down so the water doesn't get heated as much and see what happens.

15 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'm no expert, but could be the temperature switch turning on the heater element. Would probably click on and off to keep the water at the right temperature.

Can you turn the hot water off, so you just have cold water and see if the clicking stops?

Or turn the heater thermostat down so the water doesn't get heated as much and see what happens.

The hot water is off for most of the day, but it still clicks.

There's a light showing when the cold water is at temperature.  The clicks don't correspond to when it's off/on temperature.  

And the clicks are every second or so for most of the day.  Too fast, I think, to be associated with the thermostat.

The hot water is off for most of the day, but it still clicks.

There's a light showing when the cold water is at temperature.  The clicks don't correspond to when it's off/on temperature.  

And the clicks are every second or so for most of the day.  Too fast, I think, to be associated with the thermostat.
Well you may be right that something electrical is arcing over causing a spark and click.
Can you look in the night time and see if there's a flash associated with the click?

I know you haven't much backup info. at the moment, but I feel like you, get them to take it back.

Hopefully some knowelegable folks will be along soon.

Ok I'll have a shot 

I see in your first paragraph that you mentioned "the water tank is at the bottom & is pumped up " 

So maybe there would be limit switches everywhere, but if the water was to drain back down the pipe to the bottle (maybe something like not having a non return valve ) the pump would continuiosly activate 

So maybe something along those lines

Technician just visited.  Apparently it's a faulty compressor.

To be honest, after getting two faulty coolers I'd assumed it was a shoddy import from China, but no:  apparently made in Thailand.

Let's just hope cooler #3 isn't faulty.  (But I'm not holding my breath.)

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Technician just visited.  Apparently it's a faulty compressor.

To be honest, after getting two faulty coolers I'd assumed it was a shoddy import from China, but no:  apparently made in Thailand.

Let's just hope cooler #3 isn't faulty.  (But I'm not holding my breath.)

Same as made in china, or on the other hand was it assembled in Thailand 

House hold water pump made in Thailand = big mistake