Phuket lifeguards? We’ll do it ourselves, say local mayors

snoop1130

Phuket lifeguards? We’ll do it ourselves, say local mayors

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1507288675_1-org.jpg

'This is urgent, we need lifeguards,' said PPAO Acting Chief Watcharin Patomwatthanapong. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET:-- Mayors and other leading authorities at key tourist beaches along Phuket’s west coast today (Oct 6) called for the ability to provide their own lifeguards at their beaches instead of relying on the Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (PPAO, or OrBorJor), which has overseen the role for years.

The call came at a meeting at the PPAO head office in Phuket Town this afternoon after PPAO Acting Chief Watcharin Patomwatthanapong announced that the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, based at Cape Panwa, on Phuket’s east coast, will conduct a three-day lifeguard training course for government officers.

“We don’t have details yet. We have to talk with the Royal Thai Navy later, but the course course will take a maximum of 150 volunteers,” Mr Watcharin said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-well-do-it-ourselves-say-local-mayors-64211.php#Uofd8UzbjtRYqSM3.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-6

1 hour ago, quadperfect said:

Well it seems chinese who obviously dont swim much in there poluted country ,suffer the most from no lifeguards. It also seems chinese are keeping phuket afloat. So it would be a good idea to protect youre only tourists.

Seems like you are implying there are currently no lifeguards in Phuket.  There are.  They routinely save lives.  Also, the Chinese tourists in Phuket rarely if ever swim in Phuket with a few exceptions.  They put on several layers of clothing and hats, go for a photo and then they are gone.  Chinese do come in masses to Phuket it's true but to suggest they are the "only" tourists is ludicrous considering the amount of non-Chinese on the beaches everyday.  You sound like another anti-Phuket guy who has either never been here or has visited briefly only.

13 hours ago, mercman24 said:

is this to do with money, tight asses, and i read today sadly someone has drowned, i hope it is on your conscience not holding my breath.

"on your conscience " which one, any official don't even know the word conscience.

42 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Who's going to save the life-guards from drowning?

Motorbike taxi guys or the barbeque samlor guys maybe.

I not get it why the PPAO risks for 5 mia noi cars that the big uncle from china ring the bell loud in bkk. And they will like before when we need again more body bags in the next weeks here on hkt. 

Sad but hubris extreme rules....

Could really stuff up some poor guy that's being forced to act as a lifeguard when he's got no experience or correct training and is now being forced to act as one when people start dying on his watch, no doubt the moronic officials will be blaming the foot soldiers.

The two "lifeguards" I saw at Karon yesterday were both wearing lifejackets and both had quite a few extra kg's of weight.  I would not want to rely on these guys to save a life if I was in trouble. Kind of looked like some random Somchai's were pulled out of a lineup and told to go man the post.