Speedtrap cams flourishing along Asia h/w - any info to share?

Lannig

16 hours ago, jimster said:

LOL...so you think you're going to be put on "trial" by the "judges" at Thaivisa?

Just for your info, i usually do 130-140 when it's safe to do so, otherwise 100-120. Am I proud of it? I've been doing it for years, just like other Thai drivers and I don't care what some Thaivisa farang armchair judges think. Driving the Thai way on Thai roads is still safer than driving the "farang" way - like whenever I see some uber law abiding farang do 80 driving on the badly damaged left lane of a major highway carefully letting everyone pass them always elicits a chuckle out of me. Seems they didn't get the memo that no one in Thailand drives that way and it's probably safer to keep right (when the left lane is in a state of disrepair due to overloaded trucks) and drive at around 100-120 keeping as much distance between you and other vehicles than turtling along at or below the official speed limit.

I doubt there's any road in Thailand where it's safe to do more than 120. The fallacy of 'when in Rome' gets old too. The 100-120 with adequate stopping distance works for me though.

I'm not judging BTW, but I've had more grief from the muppetry of cleverdick foreign drivers than from any of the locals. On the other hand, Mrs Nan's bad experience quotient has overwhelmingly been at the hands of Thais so maybe its a case of likes attract.

Stay safe out there.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I doubt there's any road in Thailand where it's safe to do more than 120. The fallacy of 'when in Rome' gets old too. The 100-120 with adequate stopping distance works for me though.

I'm not judging BTW, but I've had more grief from the muppetry of cleverdick foreign drivers than from any of the locals. On the other hand, Mrs Nan's bad experience quotient has overwhelmingly been at the hands of Thais so maybe its a case of likes attract.

Stay safe out there.

Thanks but yes there are some roads where it's safe to do more than 120 - the expressways and motorways around Bangkok-Chonburi being one (beware of cameras though) the next closest would be most of Asia highway between Bang Pa-in and Nakorn Sawan. That said you can't expect to cruise all the way at high speed, but it is possible to do say 120-130, even 140 on some stretches where there are no u-turn bays, there are few vehicles around and you have adequate stopping distance. Elsewhere it's 100-120.

The 80km/h speed limit on Sukhumvit road in Bangkok is insane though - apart from the fact that it's highly unlikely you'll ever reach it (except maybe between 10pm and 5am) if you do manage to drive anywhere near that speed you could find yourself in a nasty accident thanks to regular u-turn bays, motorcycles driving erratically and cutting you off and traffic lights. The authorities should lower it to a more sensible 60km/h while raising the rural highway speed limit to 100 or 110.

I travel the Bang Pa-in to Nakhon Sawan route regularly and have to agree the road is good and relatively heavy traffic free ( once you get past Ayutthaya ), I generally travel between 100 and 120 and feel comfortable at this speed.
Can’t say I’ve noticed any speed cameras ( it’s been a couple of months since i drove it ) but also have never gotten a ticket.

Will be driving this route Friday so will try and pay more attention this time as to speed camera locations.

Archived