Opening a bank account.

chowny77

Today I went to a local K bank expecting that it would be easy to open an account. I have my passport with the visa stamped inside and with my wife. I am on a non-o visa which I have had for the past 6 years. The customer service woman then starts asking for a work permit or the yellow house book. I thought as long as you have a valid visa this would be enough but supposedly not. I just thanked them and walked out. Has anyone else had this problem?

If they say work permit or yellow house book they probably want a confirmation of your address, so maybe they would be happy with a certificate of residence.

When i opened my bank account at Krungsri a while ago all i had was a tourist visa and a rental contract for 6 months, so maybe you could try it there.

The usual advice is just move on to the next branch and you'll most likely get your account opened with no fuss.

However I wonder, since you've stated that you're here on marriage grounds, shouldn't you already have such an account?

You could just show them their own web site:

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/foreign-currency.aspx

Qualifications (non-residents):

Individuals who are not of Thai nationality and do not have foreign identification or permanent residency in Thailand

Offshore businesses, institutions, funds, financial institutions or juristic persons

Offshore branches or representative offices of juristic persons undertaking residency in Thailand

Offshore governmental organizations

Individuals who are of foreign nationality and permitted to undertake temporary residency in Thailand (not exceeding 3 months)

Individuals of foreign nationality who work in Thailand temporarily

Foreign embassies and persons entitled to diplomatic privileges

Non-local officials and staff members of foreign embassies

United Nations specialized agencies and international organizations or institutions

Foreign officials or staff members of United Nations specialized agencies, international organizations or institutions that are entitled to diplomatic privileges and immunities in Thailand.

Documents required

Foreign national

Passport and Thai work permit or other documents showing source of deposited funds such as account statements and evidence of real estate transactions.

"or other documents"