Utter carnage! Gravel truck driver loses control smashing up 38 vehicles

webfact

2 hours ago, r136dg said:

Same ol, same ol.......

Nobody inspects these commercial rigs (should be done a couple times a day), and anyone can get behind the wheel.

Actually I don't know what the requirements are here for a commercial license & if there's different classes of them. Other side of the planet it would require a class A for a rig like that. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Miracle no one else was injured!

"Actually I don't know what the requirements are here for a commercial license" you have to pay the fee 500 Baht

3 hours ago, alant said:

I think you have to be Thai to get a licence to drive them...

I think drivers licenses for Thais come in rice sacks, kinda like prizes in cracker Jack's boxes... And my wife still charishes her engagement ring..:passifier:

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

"Actually I don't know what the requirements are here for a commercial license" you have to pay the fee 500 Baht

as far as I know there are different classes of driving licences.....having said this I not know what driving tests have to be taken

3 hours ago, r136dg said:

Same ol, same ol.......

Nobody inspects these commercial rigs (should be done a couple times a day), and anyone can get behind the wheel.

Actually I don't know what the requirements are here for a commercial license & if there's different classes of them. Other side of the planet it would require a class A for a rig like that. Anyone have knowledge of this?

Miracle no one else was injured!

Actually if my memory is correct, the US CDL for this vehicle with no trailer would require a class B license with air brake certification if so equipped (provided the vehicle is over 29,000 lbs GVW) or 3 or more axles. Even a motorhome with 3 axles requires a non-commercial class B license. 

Notice, in the US the republican congress wants to raise the retirement age to 70. Imagine a 69 1/2 year old driving such a vehicle and having a heart attack or stroke. 

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Actually if my memory is correct, the US CDL for this vehicle with no trailer would require a class B license with air brake certification if so equipped (provided the vehicle is over 29,000 lbs GVW) or 3 or more axles. Even a motorhome with 3 axles requires a non-commercial class B license. 

Notice, in the US the republican congress wants to raise the retirement age to 70. Imagine a 69 1/2 year old driving such a vehicle and having a heart attack or stroke. 

i do not know age limit for the UK to drive an arctic....tractor and trailer of 40 feet in length

7 minutes ago, garbolino said:

i do not know age limit for the UK to drive an arctic....tractor and trailer of 40 feet in length

In the US I don't believe there is an age "limit" that would be discriminatory. But a CDL requires a medical exam every 2 years. But they only check pulse and blood pressure for cardio  my mention of age limit is for Social Security retirement age which is currently 66 years of age. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Omg

31 minutes ago, garbolino said:

Friend is 61 and drives a big Truck in the UK, his licence is for 150 tons...  often far longer then 40 feet...

Law in UK at age 45 you must renew your HGV licence with full medical every 5 years until 60........ from 60 onward this is then every year 

Edit:  I did not renew my HGV or PSV after 50

Edited by ignis

Most definatly Brake failure will be the root cause of this little mishap as all Thai truck/bus/cement truck and minibus drivers are trained to the same Thai standards of driving. 

Scooters riders? well mostly they do not require driver licences as ride from being kids - so no need for licence, they just really for falang in Thailand.

4 hours ago, monspencer said:

Once again, very poor use of the English language unless it was for sensationalism. Carnage means the killing of a large number of people.

However it could so easily have been carnage. Just very lucky it wasn't.

maybe car-nage??

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

In the US I don't believe there is an age "limit" that would be discriminatory. But a CDL requires a medical exam every 2 years. But they only check pulse and blood pressure for cardio  my mention of age limit is for Social Security retirement age which is currently 66 years of age. 

That isn't exactly correct,  only because like here, depending on the company and location in the States you can actually get around it?

I use to process a Class A,  Also had endorsement in airbrakes, hazmat, a instructor and testing certification. 

In the classes of A-B  it is a basically a 4 part test, written which deals more with inspection of load and distant, Inspection of the vehicle which if you are applying for AirBrakes must demonstrate the procedure to test them. If you past that portion you must show Skills and finally the road test.

As noted, every two years you must get a physical. In 40 years it was more than a check pulse and blood pressure. The major item they are looking for is High blood pressure once they find out and you are on medication it is a near death sentence especially if those aren't discipline enough to make life changing habits all got to be reported to the State. Like concussions, you are place in a holding pattern, until a serious of medical examines clears you back to work. I know a few 67 plus guys who take care of themselves on the road and doing just fine.

Here they do have a system but like everything they have more rules than enforcement. Personally they gravitate from motorbikes to vehicles bring along the same mental midget mentality with very little training. Daily I see trucks particularly bus driver with very little training. Then the gravel handlers are the worse here in Pattaya.

Edited by thailand49

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

I guess you have too drive quite fast to make a mess like this one. How ever, all is easily explained. Brake failure!

Out of control! Yeah, that´s a mild suggestion.

..pays to get to work early...get a safe park.

Brake failure has always been the perfect excuse for accidents were the driver would look bad and avoid any responsibility. It's never "I was driving too fast", "I had a bottle of Law Khaw before getting at the wheel", "I Took some Yaa Baa to stay awake"..... 

12 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That isn't exactly correct,  only because like here, depending on the company and location in the States you can actually get around it?

I use to process a Class A,  Also had endorsement in airbrakes, hazmat, a instructor and testing certification. 

In the classes of A-B  it is a basically a 4 part test, written which deals more with inspection of load and distant, Inspection of the vehicle which if you are applying for AirBrakes must demonstrate the procedure to test them. If you past that portion you must show Skills and finally the road test.

As noted, every two years you must get a physical. In 40 years it was more than a check pulse and blood pressure. The major item they are looking for is High blood pressure once they find out and you are on medication it is a near death sentence especially if those aren't discipline enough to make life changing habits all got to be reported to the State. Like concussions, you are place in a holding pattern, until a serious of medical examines clears you back to work. I know a few 67 plus guys who take care of themselves on the road and doing just fine.

Here they do have a system but like everything they have more rules than enforcement. Personally they gravitate from motorbikes to vehicles bring along the same mental midget mentality with very little training. Daily I see trucks particularly bus driver with very little training. Then the gravel handlers are the worse here in Pattaya.

Pretty much agree, I possessed a Calif class A license since 1978. I was just specifying the cardio portion of the exam as the argument against raising the raising retirement age to 70. Heres a laugh for ya, one year I had sex before going for the physical, when they checked my urine they said I had blood in urine, (555 semen shows as blood) I had to get my MD  to say I had no kidney problems. 

I know bus drivers in the US have more hoops to jump through, and especially in Calif school bus drivers must be certified by the CHP. From what I see here in my part of BKK gravel seems to be delivered by bobtail rather than 3 axle end dumps. Perhaps due to the narrow  soi's I think I saw a scale station near Saraburi once. I wonder if they use it? 

On 10/9/2017 at 9:03 PM, NCC1701A said:

I still say there is something in Thai DNA where they secretly love this type of carnage.

Thailand. The Bevis and Butthead of SEA.

That was my wife when I got her started driving at age 27. Made her take lessons for a month on a manual transmission. She still can't work one.

Ran over a few cones on her license test in Surin. No prob. 600 baht later she had her license.

She's a good driver now though. Only bangs into small things every once in a while.