Tapped Out: 7-Eleven Officially Drops Draft Beer

webfact

Tapped Out: 7-Eleven Officially Drops Draft Beer

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

beer.foam_.noaattrib-696x522.jpg  

Photo: Hans Braxmeier

BANGKOK — Those looking forward to walking out of 7-Eleven with a tall cup of beer topped by a frothy foam had their hopes dashed Tuesday with the franchise owner’s announcement it was pulling it from the market.

The service, said to be the first of its kind in the world, lasted less than a week before it attracted the attention of law enforcement and protesters who complained that readily available draft beer would encourage drinking.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2017/10/10/tapped-7-eleven-officially-drops-draft-beer/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-10

Company calls time on selling beer in stores

By The Nation

cd0f8709b349fac6668b7d6b96811682.jpg

CP All has agreed to stop selling draft beer via dispensing machines at its 7-Eleven convenience stores following opposition by anti-alcohol protesters.

The pilot project had been launched at 18 7-Eleven branches earlier this month.

The company said on Tuesday it had cancelled the trial due to concerns being raised by many sectors of society.

The announcement came only hours before a Public Health Ministry sub-committee meeting was due to start discussing legal action against convenience stores that sold draft beer via dispensing machines.

Dr Nipon Chinanonwait, director of the Disease Control Department's Office of the Alcohol Beverage, had said a sub-panel led by Dr Vitoon Eungprabhanth would consider whether the beer sales represented an infringement of the Alcohol Control Act 2008.

The committee intended to discuss the matter so as to issue clear directives to all those stores selling the beer.

The cancellation came after representatives of the Stop Drink Network and the Youth Network Against New Drinkers had last Friday met the executives of CP All, which owns the convenience stores, to submit an objection letter against the new service.

Anti-alcohol advocates, including those from those two networks, also submitted a request on Monday for Central Family Mart Co executives to review their own beer sales via dispensing machines at the Family Mart convenience stores.

They claimed such sales would boost youngsters’ access to alcohol and cause more alcohol-related deaths and casualties.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328938

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-10

CP All agrees to end selling draft beer at its 7-Eleven convenience stores

By Thai PBS

0910006.jpg

CP All, owner and operator of all 7-Eleven convenience stores in the country, has agreed to end it’s trial selling of draft beer at its convenience stores.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the management of the company said that it agreed to end the selling of draft beer at all the 18 convenience stores that were put on trial selling by its marketing team since the beginning of this month.

It said the ending of the trial selling followed recommendations from private and publice sectors which have voiced concern over the selling of beer at convenience stores.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cp-agrees-end-selling-draft-beer-7-eleven-convenience-stores/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-10

3 hours ago, z42 said:

These idiotic protestors are so misguided it's not even funny. They're not even enlightened enough to see the futility of what they're trying to achieve ?

Sounds like a good move on the part of the protestors in reaction to an idiotic idea by the notoriously money grubbing CP Group.  Selling draft beer in convenience stores would definitely encourage immediate consumption far more so than selling it in cans.  I for one would not like to have to walk past groups of drunken motor cycle louts drinking outside stores and would certainly want my wife or any other female relatives to have to do so.  I equally would not want to encounter these people on the road as they drive off from the stores on their motor bikes plastered.  Then you have to deal with all the BS that it was your fault that a motor cyclist splatted himself against your car because he was driving the smaller vehicle with many police and other hands outstretched for cash from the farang.  No thanks.  

5 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Sounds like a good move on the part of the protestors in reaction to an idiotic idea by the notoriously money grubbing CP Group.  Selling draft beer in convenience stores would definitely encourage immediate consumption far more so than selling it in cans.  I for one would not like to have to walk past groups of drunken motor cycle louts drinking outside stores and would certainly want my wife or any other female relatives to have to do so.  I equally would not want to encounter these people on the road as they drive off from the stores on their motor bikes plastered.  Then you have to deal with all the BS that it was your fault that a motor cyclist splatted himself against your car because he was driving the smaller vehicle with many police and other hands outstretched for cash from the farang.  No thanks.  

How long does it take you to open a can?

17 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Not really, in fact opening that can is quicker than getting the draft beer. opening a bottle does not take long either. not sure what the big problem is here. live and let live.

I waas actually looking forward to a cold draft beer from 7-11.  The thing that encourages drinking in Thailand is certainly not selling draft beer.  What encourages drinking is bars/pubs that do not check identification and sell to anyone and the lack of any police enforcement.  Instead, we have  silly laws which confine purchases to certain hours and a complete lack of police enforcement of traffic laws.  responsible people  do not drink and drive and those that are not responsible are educated through schools, temples and parents regarding proper social behavior.

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

It's unfortunate that so many seem to be unable to appreciate the change that draught beer, ready to drink, from a convenience store would make to drinking culture. I can't really be bothered to attempt to explain as I think it would fall on deaf ears anyway.

Edited by BangkokReady

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I waas actually looking forward to a cold draft beer from 7-11.  The thing that encourages drinking in Thailand is certainly not selling draft beer.  What encourages drinking is bars/pubs that do not check identification and sell to anyone and the lack of any police enforcement.  Instead, we have  silly laws which confine purchases to certain hours and a complete lack of police enforcement of traffic laws.  responsible people  do not drink and drive and those that are not responsible are educated through schools, temples and parents regarding proper social behavior.

Same. I was looking forward to it too. I almost always prefer draft beer to bottled beer.

On 10/10/2017 at 5:18 PM, BangkokReady said:

It's unfortunate that so many seem to be unable to appreciate the change that draught beer, ready to drink, from a convenience store would make to drinking culture. I can't really be bothered to attempt to explain as I think it would fall on deaf ears anyway.

It's pretty obvious that the idea of selling draft beer in a convenience store is the same as the same as selling cups of tea, coffee and soft drinks from a dispenser, i.e. that they should be drunk immediately.  Unlike drinks in cans and bottles, they are perishable and will not last long, if not drunk on the spot or in or on your vehicle as you drive off.  Obviously someone can pop open a can or bottle and get shIt faced outside a 7/11, although they don't have to, but a draft version is designed for that.   There may some reasoning that a high minded artisan draft beer drinking culture would be created amongst foreign residents, if draft beer were available at convenience stores, but what we are talking about is the lowest common denominator that have no interest in in real ales or craft beers or other high faluting foreign drinking culture ideas.  They are only interested in the cheapest way to get plastered and cause some kind of trouble.  

Fortunately we no longer have to find out what type of drinking culture would have been produced.

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

It's pretty obvious that the idea of selling draft beer in a convenience store is the same as the same as selling cups of tea, coffee and soft drinks from a dispenser, i.e. that they should be drunk immediately.  Unlike drinks in cans and bottles, they are perishable and will not last long, if not drunk on the spot or in or on your vehicle as you drive off.  Obviously someone can pop open a can or bottle and get shIt faced outside a 7/11, although they don't have to, but a draft version is designed for that.   There may some reasoning that a high minded artisan draft beer drinking culture would be created amongst foreign residents, if draft beer were available at convenience stores, but what we are talking about is the lowest common denominator that have no interest in in real ales or craft beers or other high faluting foreign drinking culture ideas.  They are only interested in the cheapest way to get plastered and cause some kind of trouble.  

Fortunately we no longer have to find out what type of drinking culture would have been produced.

<deleted>! If somebody decides they want a beer NOW what difference does it make if it is a bottle, can or cup, except that they aren't paying for the packaging? Nobody HAS to get shitfaced outside a 711, and they always have the choice of containers. Surprisingly, some people enjoy a cold beer on a hot day, sometimes even two, without getting shitfaced. 

I thought it actually was a pretty good idea from CP but they did it the wrong way...

They should first ask their friend in government to close all bars, restaurant, food carts and so on...

Replace them all with 7/11 shops with ready to eat meal, ready to drink coffee and beers...

Can't let the competition hinders such a good strategy and monopoly :smile:

On 10/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, sjaak327 said:

Not really, in fact opening that can is quicker than getting the draft beer. opening a bottle does not take long either. not sure what the big problem is here. live and let live.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is that the beer is sold in an open container and would probably be consumed immediately and relatively surreptitiously while walking down the sidewalk or potentially while operating a motor vehicle.

Something about the allure of tackiness (of course, TiT applies). This is from someone who encountered a tipsy tourist on a Sukhumvit Soi 4 sidewalk who was sucking beer from a bottle through a straw before 11 AM this morning. To be expected on Soi 4, I suppose, but everywhere in Bangkok?

7-Eleven and Family Mart could have easily predicted the failure of this obviously bad idea. 

Edited by MaxYakov

I'm in favor of far tougher penalties for drunk drivers, an area where Thailand is notoriously lax, both in policing and in the courts. And I have great empathy for those who have been injured, or had family members killed or injured, by drunk drivers.

But I fail to see how selling draft beer at convenience stores is any different than selling bottled and canned beer at those same stores -- something they still and always have done. Nor has anyone here put forward any logical rationale for how draft sales would somehow increase drinking vs. what's done now.

Basically, Thailand is a nation full of many drunks and drug users, of both the Thai and international varieties. And if the government really wanted to get serious on either of those fronts, there's lots of things they could do far more effective than stopping draft beer sales at convenience stores.  But they don't and won't, because money is number one and drugs and alcohol produce plenty of it for various folks.

In my experience, drunk driving is actually pretty easy to stop. First you need to actually have police enforce laws against DD and the courts follow through: First offense simple drunk driving (no accident or injuries), big fine and take away the person's driving license for a year or so. Second offense simple drunk driving, big fine and a year's jail time. Anything beyond that, send the person away for a good long stretch.

Right now, DD is widely and commonly done because the public knows that the police don't really enforce the law most of the time, the penalties for getting caught often are minor, and even the courts don't take it very seriously (unless you're a farang defendant involved in a fatal DD crash).  Change those dynamics, and you'll cut DD in Thailand markedly.