Alcohol price hike

MickeyMaow

I’m out on the country at the moment. So how are any of you night owls getting on with the price hike on drink on a night out?

I usually drink with the locals so normally I pay 70/80 baht for a large Leo, how much is it for a large beer in Thai bars/Restaurants now?

On occasion if there’s a football match on I want to watch with English commentary I might head to  sonewhere like the Unirish Pup, there they charge around 120/140 baht for a large Leo. What are the tourist holes selling for now? 

I haven't noticed any changes.  Still 70 to 90 baht in Thia places for Leo, Tiger and even Asahi (Oxide Bar).  Some Thai places have promotions that can lower the price.  Too my knowledge there haven't been any changes, or any noticeable changes, in the western places.

At a local Ma and Pa store that I frequent in Mae Rim, the price of a lge Leo went up from 52 to 58 baht per bottle.  

No real complaints from me as they let me sit at one of their tables if I wish with a clean glass  and free ice.

I do like to support our local places and I think they are glad that we do too. Nice people out this way.

Coffee shop in the Plaza now charge 80 baht for a large Leo, which is still OK. 

The missus smokes went from 125 per packet to 145.

So overall not a big price hike in regards to initial reports.

2 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

145 b for a packet of ciggies now. When I got here they were 65 b so that's more than double in 12 years.

I quit so it does not affect me anymore, but it's one kick of a price rise over the years

I pay 55bht   now for fags..

Malboro are at the top end regarding price. The missus smokes Malboro menthol black. I gave up smoking years ago (1998 to be precise) and dont miss it in the least.

Still cheaper to smoke here than say in NZ.  I believe a pack of 20 is around 350 baht inNZ nowadays.  I'll stick to drinking beer...3 cans of beer a day still cheaper than a packet of smokes (Cheers red 6% at 40 baht a can). Although Im more of a Leo drinker.

55 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Where, in CM, do you buy Cheers Red for 40 bt?  I must pay 47 (or 49, can't recall)  baht at  7/11.  But not all 7/11 shops carry that label and i do wonder why.

At my local Ma and Pa shop in Mae Rim....I use to get Red Horse at a local Tesco Express but they have not had any in stock for near on 3 weeks now.  Not a bad drop for 50 baht a large bottle.  Although its made by the same crew that brew San Miguel, I find that it tastes better than the local or Thai version of San Mig.

The San Mig I had when I lived in the Phils was a lot better than both of their brews here.  An opposition brewery in the Phils had small bottles that looked very similar to San Mig and it was called Beer Na Beer.  Very similar taste and slightly cheaper.... only 24 peso or 15 baht for sml bottle.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, MickeyMaow said:

Awe, I thought the beer went up by 41 baht wholesale.

Maybe it’s yet to go up?

611BDF86-D44A-4F26-822F-7E09AB4B27C9.jpeg

Tried to buy a case of large Leo in Pattaya last week. None in Makro nor Tesco both in north Pattaya. Found a small amount of stock (compared to normal) in Big C Extra - 614 baht. Used to be 584 baht. However the production date was in July so cannot believe this was new stock..................

On 10/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, CMKiwi said:

No real complaints from me as they let me sit at one of their tables if I wish with a clean glass  and free ice.

Ice with beer? You are a vandal.

Do you drink sparkling shiraz too?

On 10/11/2017 at 5:55 PM, MickeyMaow said:

Awe, I thought the beer went up by 41 baht wholesale.

Maybe it’s yet to go up?

611BDF86-D44A-4F26-822F-7E09AB4B27C9.jpeg

Beer has gone up by less than 5 baht a bottle.  Here in Hua Hin that 5 baht has been added to the price of a beer in bars.  Anyone adding more are profiteering.

The poster you replicated was a scare published by a BKK magazine prior to the official announcement and they got it completely wrong!

On 10/11/2017 at 1:59 PM, chingmai331 said:

2 baht per bottle of domestic beer increase, on next month's shipments.  As yet i have seen no price increase at any 7/11 shop, on any brand or size.

I will when i must but mostly avoid paying 130 for a pulled pint of Tiger.

Three pack Leo went from Bt 164 to Bt 170, the expected 3% increase. My regular cafe hasn't increased my beers, still Bt 65 but tourists are paying more.

19 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Ice with beer? You are a vandal.

Do you drink sparkling shiraz too?

Ice with beer is still better than a warm beer, just as a chilled sparkling shiraz is better than a shiraz on a hot summer's day. :sleepy:

For the OP there is nowhere to be a night owl here so cannot help but the local shop went from 590 to 620 for a case of Leo long necks.

Archived