NLA consults Japanese experts on improvements to Thai education system

webfact

NLA consults Japanese experts on improvements to Thai education system

BANGKOK, 11th October 2017 (NNT) - A committee of the National Legislative Assembly has met with Japanese experts to seek consultation about how to improve the education system. 

The chairman of the NLA’s committee on education and sports, Mr. Tuang Untachai, on Tuesday led some of his committee members to a meeting with Dr. lsao Taniguchi, President of KOSEN National Institute of Technology, to discuss Japan’s KOSEN education system and the training of engineers and innovation researchers. 

The meeting’s main topic, "What is KOSEN? and What KOSEN can do for Thailand?,” is intended to enable Thailand to introduce more quality personnel to the industrial sector through the improvement of vocational education that will be in line with the Thailand 4.0 policy that aims to raise the country’s per capita income to the same level of that in developed nations. 

According to Mr. Kosol Petchsuwan — an NLA member, Japan’s KOSEN system can contribute to this cause as it focuses on recruiting students, who have achieved the junior high school level, possess strong skills in mathematics and wish to work in the industrial sector, for a five-year course to prepare them to be practical engineers and innovation researchers, who have been instrumental in pushing Japan to become the world’s leading industrial nation.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-10-11

Just like being a developed nation in 20 years it’s never gonna happen. 

What exactly do they want? A smarter population who will drive the economy and at the same time still never question the system? It doesn’t work like that. With knowledge comes power. 

As as long as you have silly defamation and lese majeste laws, you’ll always be a developing nation with a truly awful education system. 

Committe of

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

The chairman of the NLA’s committee on education and sports, Mr. Tuang Untachai,

Flabbergasted as to why they have education mixed with sports. Probably not high on the agenda of importance but has large budget allocation. I hope the Education Minister Teerakiat is somehow involved and also technocrats from OBEC and Office of the Education Council. Seem everyone involved in the education reform is on a different tangent. 

Dr. Taniguchi's response: I believe your vocational institutions are quite on track: Your teachers allow the students to develop and built weapons at their schools, that shows innovation and initiative. These weapons are then used to kill rival students using a natural selection process, that shows future leadership qualities and an astute understanding of how your system and society work. I don't think I can show you anything to improve on your process to Thailand 4.0.

14 minutes ago, newnative said:

If they want to improve education they could start by lengthening the school day.  Ridiculous to see school kids out of school and walking around in the malls with nothing to do by 1pm in the afternoon. 

Are we still talking about Thailand? Thailand has a loooong school day. Those that you see at the mall are just slackers skipping classes! 

3 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

Are we still talking about Thailand? Thailand has a loooong school day. Those that you see at the mall are just slackers skipping classes! 

I seem to recall the PM reducing the school day by an hour a few years ago. If those are slackers there sure are an awful lot of them.

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

What exactly do they want? A smarter population who will drive the economy and at the same time still never question the system? It doesn’t work like that. With knowledge comes power. 

As as long as you have silly defamation and lese majeste laws, you’ll always be a developing nation with a truly awful education system. 

There are lots of developed countries with lese majeste laws so while I share your frustration with Thailands seeming fixation on it, it's not as on-point to development as the fact that Thailand's system - and by that I mean nearly all of Thailand's decision makers in the civic realm - is full of incompetents. And I DO mean complete muppets. Real dunces. They've gotten their job by any combination of family status, family connections, bootlicking, ruthlessness and/or just having stuck around long enough. In no field have I noticed a critical mass of manangerial- or executive-level types who reached it after having worked at the ground level for long enough to know what competency at multiple levels means.

For most of these nabobs, they could give a flying F what happens to those under them or the people paying taxes that support their ministry or the customers that support their company. 

I sincerely hope Mr. Tuang Untachai met with Mr. KOSEN with good intentions and continues to press this issue. Dollars to donuts, though, this was a photo opp and nothing more.

1 hour ago, seminomadic said:

There are lots of developed countries with lese majeste laws so while I share your frustration with Thailands seeming fixation on it, it's not as on-point to development as the fact that Thailand's system - and by that I mean nearly all of Thailand's decision makers in the civic realm - is full of incompetents. And I DO mean complete muppets. Real dunces. They've gotten their job by any combination of family status, family connections, bootlicking, ruthlessness and/or just having stuck around long enough. In no field have I noticed a critical mass of manangerial- or executive-level types who reached it after having worked at the ground level for long enough to know what competency at multiple levels means.

For most of these nabobs, they could give a flying F what happens to those under them or the people paying taxes that support their ministry or the customers that support their company. 

I sincerely hope Mr. Tuang Untachai met with Mr. KOSEN with good intentions and continues to press this issue. Dollars to donuts, though, this was a photo opp and nothing more.

Apples and oranges. You can't compare other nation's Lese majetse laws to Thailand. Most are simply on the books and meaningless. Thailand's is very much active and draconian. 

It's almost impossible to buy ANY professional quality tools in Thailand, and if you found them they are extreme expensive..stop with importtax on it.

Also it's frustrating to use inches and cm in one country, stop with that.

And stop with the maipenlai culture, no other nation can accept that, only Thailand.

And try to raise the reputation of "made in Thailand" because it really is all low quality..i avoid it like a dog with rabies.

And make sure floodings don't happen anymore, who wants his factory under water or the staff not being able to come to work??

And let foreigners have technical companies as well, the staff gets free education that way...

11 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Committe of

Flabbergasted as to why they have education mixed with sports. Probably not high on the agenda of importance but has large budget allocation. I hope the Education Minister Teerakiat is somehow involved and also technocrats from OBEC and Office of the Education Council. Seem everyone involved in the education reform is on a different tangent. 

Japan is the same. MEXT; Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.

Now all Thailand needs to do is have students who are willing to go to school six days a week and spend hours every day actually learning and studying. Oh, and maybe finding teachers who can actually teach would be a step in the right direction. You can get all the advice from a country with a good educational system, but when the teachers and students are way below average, you will not get the results you are looking for. But I'm sure all of the MoE people will enjoy their junkets.

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Apples and oranges. You can't compare other nation's Lese majetse laws to Thailand. Most are simply on the books and meaningless. Thailand's is very much active and draconian. 

Sure I can. I just did. Maybe you could outline the connection between the actively-used LM laws and lack of development beyond platitudes like "with knowledge comes power"?

22 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Will the Japanese teach them to speak Blitish.

There's a huge new British school in BKK now, i just passed it today.

But the companies who want to open factories in Thailand should pay for education i think..if they won't do so they 'll have to pay for all the damage done by their uneducated staff.

Thailand won't educate or maintain any standards. They even have thai english teachers who can't speak english themselves...and worked as teacher for decades.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

There's a huge new British school in BKK now, i just passed it today.

But the companies who want to open factories in Thailand should pay for education i think..if they won't do so they 'll have to pay for all the damage done by their uneducated staff.

Thailand won't educate or maintain any standards. They even have thai english teachers who can't speak english themselves...and worked as teacher for decades.

Most Thai and asian English teachers teach ,  americanism, not English.

Just now, Thongkorn said:

Most Thai and asian English teachers teach ,  americanism, not English.

That's fine, as long as i can understand them it's good.

Also Indians speak funny english, but i can understand them better than the thai.

7 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

Sure I can. I just did. Maybe you could outline the connection between the actively-used LM laws and lack of development beyond platitudes like "with knowledge comes power"?

Because you cap free speech even more. You cap ideas and opinions. Any Thai can accuse another Thai of lese mejeste and police are duty bound to investigate. Then it can be up to a judge to interpret what was spoken or written. This law is abused to stifle others. So that’s literally how it hinders progress and development. 

But again, my main point was not to confuse the laws or defamation and LM with other ‘developed’ nations. It’s a false equavilancy and it misrepresents my initial point.