bar ripped me off, sick of walking away

pumpjack

13 minutes ago, Maybole said:

In UK, Netherlands and Norway I have always been charged as each round was served, except in central London where a bar waiter wanted me to pay in advance.

In Germany the common method is to put a beer mat down and mark it acording to your order using different symbols for different drinks.

However it is considered prudent to turn the mat over first and check that it has not already been marked on the underside.

Yes way back in '68 I went to the Netherlands and after only ever drinking in English pubs I was amused to find my drinks  ( was it Orangeyboom ) were toted up on a beer mat with the cashier by the door. Worked well with one taking money and 2 serving beer.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy booze at a 7/11 or supermarket. Drink it in the comfort of my air-conditioned condo, while trawling TV for the latest tales of woe.

I used to go to bars. Gave it up because they were full of sad people drinking in the discomfort of a hot climate with a steady stream of doof-doof music. Depressing. I was getting these flashbacks to Billy Joel's "Piano Man".

3 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Buy booze at a 7/11 or supermarket. Drink it in the comfort of my air-conditioned condo, while trawling TV for the latest tales of woe.

I used to go to bars. Gave it up because they were full of sad people drinking in the discomfort of a hot climate with a steady stream of doof-doof music. Depressing. I was getting these flashbacks to Billy Joel's "Piano Man".

you need to get out more for sure.

19 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Gosh, another farang who cannot count.  She's only got two fingers up, how do you get three from that. Oh sorry, I could be wrong she might be indicating two nips or 2,000 baht, oh what the hell. I think she's a six drink special, and that's for me.  Just the thought of waking up. :shock1::wai:

Two fingers held up, plus the glass for the third in her hand.

I concur with her mathematics and hereby ratify the bill.

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The golden rule in Thai Bars....never let the bill add up...always pay each time you order.

In fact in restaurants however, I also always openly write down the amounts of the dishes or drinks ordered on my phone or on a paper and make sure the employees see what I am doing...it avoids the temptation to overcharge on the final bill...

The farang will never be in his right and is just a walking ATM for many such venues....

Keep that in mind, be safe with common sense and enjoy the chicks and the booze...

Stay out of the tourist places. Although paying as you go is wise, I never do. However, I also know how many drinks I have had and I know the prices. Once, I did not ask, and was charged B800 for a beer in a bar on Bangla in Patong, Phuket. It was about 5pm, still daylight, and I was seated in the open bar on the street.  I asked why so expensive, he said, "private show, nude dancers." "Where," I said. "Inside, 9 o'clock" was his reply.  After a bit of light banter in Thai, he reduced the price to B400. After a bit more joking around, I gave him B120, got on my bike and left. It's good to speak a little Thai, keep your cool, and be patient--and stay out of tourist traps; of course, that is difficult to do when drinking in a tourist trap city. 

22 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The golden rule in Thai Bars....never let the bill add up...always pay each time you order.

In fact in restaurants however, I also always openly write down the amounts of the dishes or drinks ordered on my phone or on a paper and make sure the employees see what I am doing...it avoids the temptation to overcharge on the final bill...

The farang will never be in his right and is just a walking ATM for many such venues....

Keep that in mind, be safe with common sense and enjoy the chicks and the booze...

Stay out of the tourist places. Although paying as you go is wise, I never do. However, I also know how many drinks I have had and I know the prices. Once, I did not ask, and was charged B800 for a beer in a bar on Bangla in Patong, Phuket. It was about 5pm, still daylight, and I was seated in the open bar on the street.  I asked why so expensive, he said, "private show, nude dancers." "Where," I said. "Inside, 9 o'clock" was his reply.  After a bit of light banter in Thai, he reduced the price to B400. After a bit more joking around, I gave him B120, got on my bike and left. It's good to speak a little Thai, keep your cool, and be patient--and stay out of tourist traps; of course, that is difficult to do when drinking in a tourist trap city. 

16 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I get out quite a lot, just not to bars. I am quite comfortable with my own company, or that of my GF.

Here's one of the places I've been to recently.

erotic_2.jpg

Dude, you need to get some sun if you are that pasty white, and put on some clothes while you are at it, please.

Pay as u go better can leave when u like if u want a chic then pay for as well direct

the tip u can give her  then no hassle 

and what is 500 baht 15 dollars  if u miss 1 good meal for a day then u back to normal

if you dont have the money dont go boosing or anything els  it just causes agrivation. 

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Where are we talking about here? IE Which city?

Local forums may tolerate you naming the bar. I think it is a good idea as it may prevent other people getting ripped off.

BUT.... Be clear on the circumstances, sometimes the customer is wrong.

No need to identify either. It's a familiar thing in bars all over LOS.

As has been said already, and hundreds of times before, just pay each time you buy a drink and don't let the bins build up.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

LOL. I find it hard to find a bar that plays music that I like. Any bar that plays the noise they like I pass by, which means most nights I don't spend any money on drinks.

The idea that they should try and attract customers by providing an environment they enjoy seems to be foreign to most Thai barbeers. Someday, they may realise that comfortable seating, pleasant tunes and girls more interested in the customers than their machines would bring in more customers than the paltry few they get nowadays.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As has been said already, and hundreds of times before, just pay each time you buy a drink and don't let the bins build up.

Or let them build the bins up and slip a few of yours in and a bar fine for good measure.:cheesy:

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Gosh, another farang who cannot count.  She's only got two fingers up, how do you get three from that. Oh sorry, I could be wrong she might be indicating two nips or 2,000 baht, oh what the hell. I think she's a six drink special, and that's for me.  Just the thought of waking up. :shock1::wai:

Nope, a contested bar bill and drunk Thai girl who can't count - hey now you got it.

Downstairs for dancing upstairs for thinking.

I once did see a farang doing something very smart. Every time he order a drink he used to sign the back of the bill to make sure they haven't add any unwanted bill to his bin. I guess we all have to do this now as their income is going down and they do everything possible to make some extra bhat.

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

rarely been ripped off. last time happened was for drinks had ordered during happy hour but didnt check bill when they arrived, waited since i trusted the place as a 5 year customer. the waitress took my side agreed they were ordered during happy hour but the cashier and manager did not care. manager just sat all night consuming oxygen likely was a useless relative of someone important.  i am ex customer now

what also irks me is when a server at a disco appears at light speed trying to make you buy another drink for a gal you may be talking with . server looks at you and her trying to make you feel guilty if you dont rapidly say yes. even if you say no thanks they can continue trying to convince you. this  is encountered in some tourist places but not in better quality all thai clubs. never been hassled at route 66 .

If one can't name and shame, then by default, one can't promote them, either. 

not promoting but fact is pay cover fee and cashier does not try to get a tip for doing her job at door. staff do not harass you into buying drinks for low life hookers or other patrons.

really cant compare a mainstream club to hookersville places

The drink now pay later (ie. the bin system in Thailand) is ideal for rip off merchants.

I have even been scammed this way in a Dortmund bar in Germany.

The problem about arguing the toss is that you the customer filled with drink is vulnerable both by not having the exactitude of the facts (which increases with consumption) and usually being a bit in a careless/could't care so much frame of mind because of the alcohol in the veins.

Others who cause trouble are seen as just troublemakers who are a bit drunk. Nobody can win when labelled in such away.

Pay as you go makes sense.. It's a normal thing in the Uk in bars, but not restaurants.

All drinker in LOS will be ripped off regularly, imo, if they pile up a chit bin. 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I find it hard to find a bar that plays music that I like. Any bar that plays the noise they like I pass by, which means most nights I don't spend any money on drinks.

The idea that they should try and attract customers by providing an environment they enjoy seems to be foreign to most Thai barbeers. Someday, they may realise that comfortable seating, pleasant tunes and girls more interested in the customers than their machines would bring in more customers than the paltry few they get nowadays.

You can't beat drinking at a table outside a Mom and Pop store, much better prices than a bar.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

11 hours ago, Gregster said:

Bar tabs (in my travels) were/still are used across Europe, UK, Nth Sth & Central America. I’m yet to travel to Africa and I never saw any bars in the Middle East. Therefore, apart from Australia & NZ, the VAST MAJORITY of bars world-wide would have a tab system.

Not UK, unless you mean restaurants

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not typical in ALL of Thailand. Chiang Rai everyone runs a tab and no-one gets ripped off. In Canada it is normal to run a tab as well. Never been ripped off for drinks in LOS.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fortunately less of an issue than it used to be due to POS billing. Personally I find the idea of paying after each drink or order impractical, but make a show of looking at the bills every now and again and hope that deters them. Still, if one has several drinks and off they go with a bunch of handwritten bills it is just too easy. Doesn't seem to happen to me in modern times. That said, if I read on the internet of others being ripped off by particular places here, I don't even go there.

Edited by jacko45k