bar ripped me off, sick of walking away

pumpjack

On 10/13/2017 at 10:56 AM, idman said:

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight anotherday.  Here in Thailand you had better be damn sure the fight you pick is winnable and more important worth the risk/cost.

How is that different to any other country?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Most bars are whore houses run by mafia types and staffed with desperate people who will do anything at all to get money.  Don't expect them to be honest.

Same as anywhere else...you think Walmart have your best interests at heart? KFC..McDonalds?

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Another poster that has no idea of the reality. Bad places are the minority in farang areas. Only really bad places I heard about were some upstairs gogos on Patpong.

I never had anything happen that was exceptionally bad in a gogo, other than making bad choices, sometimes, and that was on me.

Yep,bot sucked in myself..took a thai lady who had never seen a pingpong show...2 beers 1600baht on a hand written scrap of paper.....pay for show etc etc and the girls had the hide to ask for a tip....f..of! Discretion etc

However I have been to a great show on the street level..o hassles whatsoever

It's like any other crime - there are locations and hours when the chances of being a victim rise relative to the norm.

Personally, I don't expect to be overcharged in a bar in Thailand anymore than I would anywhere else. But as the hours get later and the bars get seedier, and the critical faculties become observably impaired, only a blo@dy fool would imagine that he's NOT going to have someone try to rip him off from time to time.

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

what i notice in many better quality clubs is you pay each time upon receiving your drinks. this is a better system. perhaps the club does not want patrons to skip out without paying but this also protects customers.

"Better quality clubs...hahah ,they are just ensuring the  drinks are paid for so the ' better quality' don't do a runner without paying. As they are wont to do being Hiso and all that."

that is what i clearly said

On 11/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, observer90210 said:

The golden rule in Thai Bars....never let the bill add up...always pay each time you order.

In fact in restaurants however, I also always openly write down the amounts of the dishes or drinks ordered on my phone or on a paper and make sure the employees see what I am doing...it avoids the temptation to overcharge on the final bill...

The farang will never be in his right and is just a walking ATM for many such venues....

Keep that in mind, be safe with common sense and enjoy the chicks and the booze...

Such paranoia is not necessary. Just check your bar bill intermittently. 

On 10/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, MickGC said:

That is common in Thailand as well once you get away from the tourist hot spots. 

One time we had a company-party where the waiters looked behind our backs and in the planters to see if we had hidden some bottles there...

After few drinks I pay the bill... simple. letting it build up all night leads to two things:

1. you forgot how much you drank, prices or the girls you bought for  (trust me VERY easily done)
  2. they add something (less likely I'd say but can happen)

Ones things for sure it's not worth having your teeth corrected over 400 baht. Pay up and don't go back.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:31 AM, jacko45k said:

Where are we talking about here? IE Which city?

Local forums may tolerate you naming the bar. I think it is a good idea as it may prevent other people getting ripped off.

BUT.... Be clear on the circumstances, sometimes the customer is wrong.

haha, indeed, who is, often, the drunk one?

14 minutes ago, elnet1 said:

you buy a ladydrink for 60 baht, she wants another and if you don't ask, its now 90 baht.

Jeez, what bars are you drinking at?

Don't come to Patong or the ladydrinks could cost you up to 220 baht a time..........even if its pineapple juice with just a hint (or not) of spirits in it. It's a rip off so one has to be careful.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:46 AM, soistalker said:

Observer is correct.

Are you guys ashamed to pay each time you get a drInk? Are you worried about what the staff will think about you? Maybe you think, after having a few beers, that as you leave, all the girls are thinking, "Well, there goes a really nice guy."

You know Soistalker's rule: Not one satang extra.

On the very rare occasion I drink at an unfamiliar bar I pay per round. No fuss, no muss.

hi people , I'm an Aussie 

I have been coming to Thailand since around 2000 , and lived here for most of that time , 

many many tourists come here and get out of control more than they would in their own countries , luckily for us the general easy going Thailand culture and nature tolerates our behaviours ,

drinking in the local bars can be fun and generally 90% of the patrons have a great time , but we need to keep it real , to get wasted and not keep an eye on the amount your drinking can easily and very quickly escalate into a very large bill , as you are buying rounds of drinks for yourself  and  lady or ladies as well and the boss lady of the bar and her colleagues  she works with it adds up , it also is often not even mentioned that your shouting all these other add ons .

moral of this story drink in moderation have fun but keep your wits , certainly do not get caught up in animosity of any kind grin and bare it and move on lesson learnt, I have also seen many situations go terribly wrong for tourists in many forms from arguments and bar fights to renting and crashing scooters and jet skis , its an amazing place and the Thai people are friendly and fun , but not everything is what it seems when yo live here and see what goes on , most of the rental places don't even have insurances to cover you damaging vehicles especially the smaller scooter type renters , I once helped a young English guy who accidentally crashed a jetski have his passport removed by police until his parents in the uk could pay for the jetski. another guy from us had an accident from falling off a motorbike and required some extensive medical treatment and was also remanded until he could pay the 14 k us cost of his medical bills so , have fun by all means but be mindful you are a  foreigner  here be respectful always and don't have an accident unless you have worldwide insurance . stay safe Joe 

I may want to just add a small word regarding the OP's post and the farang complaining about a bottle and his bill.

For sure, as per a minority of "distinguished" posters we read here on TVF, use a similar tone, rant or are as rude with people in real life, as they are in their posts on the forums, the situation is bound to get real ugly....with or without the bill challenging issue...

Edited by observer90210