Pattaya DLT by Bike. Is there an easy route?

eddi

When I last renewed my 5 year driving licence it was an easy trip to the DLT.

North on Sukumvit, turn right onto route 36, just before Regents school cut across the central reservation and into the soi leading to the DLT.

Now the central reservation is blocked by an Armco type barrier.

Is there an easy way to get there from South Pattaya without an intimate knowledge of darkside roads to find a crossing point for motorway 7?

3 hours ago, eddi said:

Now the central reservation is blocked by an Armco type barrier

Is that still the case as I saw cars crossing there last week when I was there?

If still there just keep going up the 36 until you can do a U turn - either just before the first bridge which you then have to do a U turn, go over, and U turn at the end of the bridge or further up the 36 as normal.

16 hours ago, topt said:

Is that still the case as I saw cars crossing there last week when I was there?

If still there just keep going up the 36 until you can do a U turn - either just before the first bridge which you then have to do a U turn, go over, and U turn at the end of the bridge or further up the 36 as normal.

When I surveyed it 4 weeks ago there was no way to cross over the central reservation (by bike only as before) between a crossroads and the motorway junction.

That leaves the possibility of crossing at the Xroads and continuing eastbound against the traffic which I don't like or, as you suggest, continue along the 36 over the motorway junction and finding a U turn.

I'll have a look on Google Earth to see if that's a possibility.

There is a proper U-Turn just past the Regents School:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9693503,100.9746028,3a,75y,192.71h,82.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s92HzCnJTj2GHDnVAFDdshw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I was out there this (Thursday) morning and have to make another trip tomorrow. I normally take the "back roads" but I'll be on the big bike so maybe I'll scoot down #36 instead.

OK. No one told me that everything was going to be closed this morning so, silly me, I show up early and think "Hmmmm, maybe they open at 9, not 8 like the sign says. Odd that everything else is closed as well like the coffee shops and food stalls."

Of course, 9 rolls around and not a soul in sight but the clouds are getting darker so I leave.

However I left via the Regent's school parking lot and can confirm that yes, there is a U-Turn on Highway 36 that you can use to get to the Licensing Office. When you are coming out of Pattaya when you are almost at the School you'll see the U-Turn sign and about 100 meters later there it is. Then you could turn into the gravel parking lot beside the School and go out the far right end and you'll be on the soi that leads to the Licensing office. Or just carry on down Highway 36 for a couple hundred meters and take that turn off instead.

16 hours ago, Kerryd said:

There is a proper U-Turn just past the Regents School:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9693503,100.9746028,3a,75y,192.71h,82.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s92HzCnJTj2GHDnVAFDdshw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I was out there this (Thursday) morning and have to make another trip tomorrow. I normally take the "back roads" but I'll be on the big bike so maybe I'll scoot down #36 instead.

Thanks Kerryd, great info. When I tried to find a crossing I only went as far as the off ramp to the motorway then turned back, another couple of hundred meters further and I would have found it.

Archived