Rental contract with a Tourist Visa

May I rent a condo with a tourist visa or visa on arrival and pay in advance ? The Swiss  Embassy lists a rental contract as a requirement for the application for a non-immigrant O visa.

Thanks for any suggestions.

7 hours ago, smutcakes said:

If you pay up front i doubt most landlords would give two hoots what you visa status is. I have rented a few condos and i dont recall the landlord asking for my visa information.

He's not worried about the landlord, he's talking about what he was told by his Embassy what he needs when aplying for a visa

Many Tourist here in Thailand on Tourist Visa renting Condo's, However by Law the Landlord must report the Tenant within 24 Hrs of the Person renting the Condo/Studio/House,

The Tourist must submit Copy of their Passport, TM6 Arrival document, & it that person has Tourist Visa stamp in their Passports for up to 3 Months must submit copy  Copy also,

1 minute ago, bontang said:

Many Tourist here in Thailand on Tourist Visa renting Condo's, However by Law the Landlord must report the Tenant within 24 Hrs of the Person renting the Condo/Studio/House,

The Tourist must submit Copy of their Passport, TM6 Arrival document, & it that person has Tourist Visa stamp in their Passports for up to 3 Months must submit copy also,

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, bontang said:

The Tourist must submit Copy of their Passport, TM6 Arrival document, & it that person has Tourist Visa stamp in their Passports for up to 3 Months must submit copy  Copy also,

Jomtien, and perhaps some other Immigration offices (I'm not sure which ones) will require you to have a TM30, which must be done within 24 hours of arrival.   Most will logically say that should be an owner responsibility, but Jomtien will hold you responsible even as just a tenant (i.e., a "possessor") if the owner doesn't do it (and many owners will deny even any knowledge of the matter, let alone assume responsibility for it).

If you arrive using a Tourist Visa and aren't planning to apply for an extension but instead just leave at the end of your 60days, then you probably won't have any dealings with Immigration and this might not be anything to be too concerned about (tho', technically, you would be on the wrong side of the law if you don't do the TM30 reporting). 

It's remotely possible I guess, but not likely in most places, that the consulate from which you're requesting a single-entry Tourist Visa might want to see your rental contract or hotel reservation.  I've never heard of it.  There's a place on the application form (as well as the TM6 arrival card later on) where you simply list your first place of stay in Thailand, and that's generally - as in almost always - all there is to it.  (The requirements are more demanding if you apply for the Multi-Entry Tourist Visa.)

Thanks a lot everybody. Seems to be easy then.

One colleague (living in Pattaya) stated that to rent an apartment there with the following spec is more then 40'000.-- a month, most likely 60'000.--

This is a bit hard to believe, I have seen many ads on the net (Broker starting with a B. dont know if I may mention here who) for less than that:

Here are the requirements:

Big kitchen, not a 3qm niche

Minimum 2 sleeping rooms

Balkony

Pool

as quiet as possible :smile:

Distance from Pattaya no more than 20 Minutes drive

High Speed Internet

Cable TV or Possibility of Satellite

Parking

Security (OK, might be questionable)

How much must I plan for that ? I have seen some on the net for under 40K, some well under 40K. Is this "fake news" and what is the reality if it is ?

7 minutes ago, moogradod said:

One colleague (living in Pattaya) stated that to rent an apartment there with the following spec is more then 40'000.-- a month, most likely 60'000.--

This is a bit hard to believe, I have seen many ads on the net (Broker starting with a B. dont know if I may mention here who) for less than that:

Here are the requirements:

Big kitchen, not a 3qm niche

Minimum 2 sleeping rooms

Balkony

Pool

as quiet as possible :smile:

Distance from Pattaya no more than 20 Minutes drive

High Speed Internet

Cable TV or Possibility of Satellite

Parking

Security (OK, might be questionable)

You arent very specific about sizes (how big is a "big" kitchen for example? what size do you want those two bedrooms to be? how fast is "high speed"?) but I would have thought that you could find all that for under 20,000B on a yearly basis in Jomtien. You need to give a specific size in sqm for the entire unit if you want an accurate answer.

I suspect that your friend is quoting for something near or on Beach Road in the centre of Pattaya.

Here are the expectations in more detail:

Large Kitchen: 12 - 15 sqm

Bedroom 1: 20 sqm

Bedroom 2: 12+ sqm will do

Internet 10Mbps - I take everything faster of course, here in Zurich I have 150Mbps

Overall: about 110 sqm inkl. the 2 Baths (I assume it will have 2 at this size)

Everything larger is also welcome. And I forgot to say: It must be furnished.

I have just seen today an ad for a 161 sqm beachfront condo (OK, Jomtien Beachfront in the middle of where the action is = probably noisy) for 33KBaht p.m. It was on a website of a broker in Pattaya. But if the flat is a bit (I mean 20+ minutes drive, maybe even more) outside Pattaya we dont care. We will stay a lot at home anyway.

The challange in January will be to find an apartment within 2 weeks and conlude a contract for about 6 months (3 thereof paid upfront plus deposit) Actually we would like to rent for an unlimited time - but I want to try it first and then negotiate really long term if we like it. We need an adress for the bank accounts to be opened and shipping our household goods as well.

Edited by moogradod

A 6-month contract starting January will be harder to find than a year starting in, say, September, and prices will tend to be somewhat higher.

Depending on how close to the beach you want to be, and how nice a building you want, I would say anywhere from about 20,000+B to 80,000B but at the top end you would get something very nice down near the marina in Na-Jomtien.

This might be of interest as an idea of the lower end: https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/listings/chonburi-condo-tdfmrnvw

You can use that site to check out other buildings also, but be advised that it has no shortage of the most stupid mistakes and misinformation. Still, it's a guide.

10Mbs internet should be possible in just about any building anywhere here. 30Mbs or more would be feasible in many buildings. I have 50Mbs. However you may need to sign up for a decent internet package yourself as rental condos often only have a cheap option like shared building wifi.

Furnished is standard here. Unfurnished is quite rare.

You dont really need a definitive address to open bank accounts here.

Great info. Thanks.

I will make your guide part of the collection I have (the other two are Siam Real Estate and Pattaya Property - and thats about it then). Need to rent first short(er) term in January and might be long term right away if its the jackpot. Must be January, I have no other choice. Adress needed for the container as well. The aim is to have somtehing very longterm in the end, but this is for the initial phase.

Need advice: friend/landlord in Chiang Mai; condo in Pattaya. 1) can contract be in letter form or does it have to be some official document notarized by the pope? 2) where does he have to report my rental, CM or Jomtien? And when? My arrival or date of signing contract? 3) can contract be emailed or mailed to me? Meaning a printout or have to be an original? Thanks.