It's 'farang' Not 'falang'!

simon43

Seems many of TV members have live-in Issan GFs - judging by the large number of posts mentioning 'falang'.

Whilst this might be how Issan girls say the word in Issan/Lao, it's not a correct transliteration of the Thai word ฝรั่ง. It's pronounced 'farang' because that's a ror reua in the middle (basically a letter R). (If it were 'falang' then it would be spelt ฝลั่ง

This is not a post about Thai language. It's just a rant about people using the wrong English spelling because they can't read Thai !:o

Rant over....

Simon

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems many of TV members have live-in Issan GFs - judging by the large number of posts mentioning 'falang'.

Whilst this might be how Issan girls say the word in Issan/Lao, it's not a correct transliteration of the Thai word ฝรั่ง. It's pronounced 'farang' because that's a ror reua in the middle (basically a letter R). (If it were 'falang' then it would be spelt ฝลั่ง

This is not a post about Thai language. It's just a rant about people using the wrong English spelling because they can't read Thai !:o

Rant over....

Simon

LOL.......funny you bring this up. My fiance, from Lumduan, and I had a discussion about this last night. I asked her what the correct was the correct way to say it and she said "farang". I asked why do so many say "falang" and her reply was that not to many Thai's can pronounce the "r" properly so it sounds like "falang".

BTW, her native tongue is Cambodian, that's all they speak in the village.

Edited by SqdnGuns

The word ฝรั่ง Farang is really just the tip of the ice-berg.

A large majority of Thais drop the "r" for an "L" it's easier and literally just rolls of the tongue.

I can think of many words containing ร ror reau that are changed to an L sound

for example ร้อน meaning hot could be changed to ล้อน

Having said that I do have a pet hate and that is the กิน gin (eat) being changed to a kin. Makes me angry? no

Laugh? yes

I know that I make mistakes too and I am sure that many a person has had a good laugh at my pronounciation mistakes at one time or another. :o

Edited by In the Rai!

yeah man i am tired of when people keep mentioning this guy called Loy Krathong.

Roy must be well pissed off about it too

:o:D:D

farang, falang, i dont mind. what gets me is people who speak and write "flang"

Edited by t.s

This is not a post about Thai language. It's just a rant about people using the wrong English spelling because they can't read Thai !:D

Rant over....

Simon

Guess what.I heard a northern thai person say "falang" yesterday. :D

Now tell me Simon.Do you get pissed off when somebody says Yep or yeah instead of yes?

Do different words in your native language sound different,depending on what person(Accent) says them.

There are not too many pommies that I have heard say "farung" properly.They tend to say farang as I have just spelt it.That is how it should be spelt from my accent.Falang sounds like one of those blokes on Star Trek to me. :o

Edited by chuchok

Ok what about

Kao (cow) has several different meanings depending on how you say it! The meanings are rice, knee, news, enter and mountain.

or

Klai, kai, gai = far, near, chicken

ข้าว rice

ชาว white

เข่า knee

ข่าว news

These are spelt with the same letters or have the same letter sound. It is just the vowel sound or rising and falling tones that differ.

Simon is referring to the mispronounciation of a letter. The proper sound should be an R sound in Farang not an L sound like Falang.

For me most Thais pronounce it witha lazy L so if its good enough for them its good enough for me.. :o

That is what his gripe is about.

It's not just girls that say falang in Issarn. I'm a falang bloke and I say it.

I live in Issarn and speak the local dialect when here and 'passaa glang' when in Central Thailand.

It is actually a correct transliteration according to an Issarn dictionary I have. As some guys live in Issarn, they should be allowed to write 'falang'.

What about all those Bangkokonians who can't speak proper Thai. Kap instead of Krap etc.

Another thing that confuses me is the way many farlang say Bangkok, when in fact it's Groong Thayp. If you were in Paris, would you say 'paree' or paris?

I find it strange also that some farlang who think they can speak Thai say a sentence but use English words - computer for example instead of com boo der. It's like a Thai going to England and telling people he comes from Groong Thayp. I could go on and on but what's the point?

Rant over....

Simon

You know life is good when the most pressing problem of the day is a minor variation of pronounciation :D

Poor Simon...

He is all mixed up...

a lot of Issan people pronounce the R as an R....this leads to derision from the other Thais as they say the Issan people are rolling their R's similar to a Scottish person.

The central, northern and southern Thais pronounce the R as an L....I once pronounced it with the R sound and my teacher told me to learn Thai not Khmer.

The rule with Gaw Gai is that it is pronounced as a K at the start of the word and a G at the end of the word.

So Simon once you have finished learning to read Thai and it is commendable that you are learning....start learning how to pronounce it.

Simon 43,

Since you said in your post you were upset about people spelling "falang" instead or "farang", I would have to agree with you. The word is clearly spelled with the Thai "r"; though some/most Thais will pronounce it with an "l". I remember speaking to my Thai teacher about this when learning the language and she said that the "r" is for the evening news and farangs who learned to speak Thai in a school, "l" is for "falangs" who learned from their girlfriends.

On a related note, I remember asking a previous girlfriend to pronounce the "r" sound to help me learn Thai better, it winded up confusing the hel_l out of her as she tried to remember which words were "r" and which were "l". I finally asked her to stop as it was doing more harm than good.

The rule with Gaw Gai is that it is pronounced as a K at the start of the word and a G at the end of the word.

[\quote]

er . . that's incorrect :o

I've been reading Thai for around 4 years now, so I have to disagree with your statement :D

Simon

Poor Simon...

He is all mixed up...

a lot of Issan people pronounce the R as an R....this leads to derision from the other Thais as they say the Issan people are rolling their R's similar to a Scottish person.

The central, northern and southern Thais pronounce the R as an L....I once pronounced it with the R sound and my teacher told me to learn Thai not Khmer.

Dead wrong here too, gburns. Southerners do pronounce the r with a rolling r sound, which is, btw, the correct pronunciation of the letter :o

she said that the "r" is for the evening news and farangs who learned to speak Thai in a school, "l" is for "falangs" who learned from their girlfriends.

[\quote]

Absolutely right!! This is one reason why I think it's important to learn to read Thai, and to understand the grammetical/tone rules etc. Then you can clearly understand how this particular word is spelt in Thai, and what the correct 'Bangkok Thai' pronounciation is - and also why it is pronounced in a different manner in Issan/Lao.

Simon

Rubbish.

Maybe your getting confused with kor kai?

ooops...I got mixed up....should have been a G at the start and a K at the end...however quite often it is pronounced as a K at the beginning....such as the word the OP used as an example....

Edited by gburns57au