Pension + Bank Account/no Deposit Length Required

I am pleased to report that information provided by lopburi3 and Sunbelt Asia were "spot on" when they advised that there is no time length required for your bank account deposts to be in account before extending non-imm O based on retirement when you combine pension with bank account.

I extended yesterday in Chiang Mai and the length of the funds being on deposit less that 60 days didn't even come up.

Many thanks you two for your continuing sound advice. I did go in with lopburi3s copy of the pertinent language in the BKK Police Policy Document to this effect, but it wasn't needed.

While I am at it, the extention for one year based on retirement was back dated to my arrival date in Thailand as a tourist, thus my extentions expires Nov 1, 2007 exactly one year from my re-entry. The interim period has been used to obtain a change of visa status from tourist to non-imm O and now the extention thereof.

I wasn't aware of the ability to change status from a "visa on arrival" to a non-imm O while in Thailand and it may have not been available had I arrived earlier than Nov. 1, 2006?

I am pleased to report that information provided by lopburi3 and Sunbelt Asia were "spot on" when they advised that there is no time length required for your bank account deposts to be in account before extending non-imm O based on retirement when you combine pension with bank account.

I extended yesterday in Chiang Mai and the length of the funds being on deposit less that 60 days didn't even come up.

Many thanks you two for your continuing sound advice. I did go in with lopburi3s copy of the pertinent language in the BKK Police Policy Document to this effect, but it wasn't needed.

While I am at it, the extention for one year based on retirement was back dated to my arrival date in Thailand as a tourist, thus my extentions expires Nov 1, 2007 exactly one year from my re-entry. The interim period has been used to obtain a change of visa status from tourist to non-imm O and now the extention thereof.

I wasn't aware of the ability to change status from a "visa on arrival" to a non-imm O while in Thailand and it may have not been available had I arrived earlier than Nov. 1, 2006?

Thanks for the feedback.

Congrats on the extension of stay.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

While the Police Policy Document from BKK Headquartersof Thai Immigration provided to me by lopburi3 makes no mention of first time vs. second time applications for extentions, I have always been of the impression that it gets easier each successive time you extend.

Flying in the face of that impression is my most two recent experiences with Chiang Mai Immigration, the application for change of visa status from tourist to non-imm O and then the extention of the non-imm O, the OP of this thread.

In both instances, the staff involved seemed to pay no attention whatsoever to any of my passport pages which carried extention stamps from previous years. In fact, when I provided a photocopy of each page of my passport, one of the few "old hands" at the window who has not been rotated out of Chiang Mai Immigration, I only saw two faces from the "old days", he returned to me all the photocopes of pages dealing with prior activity and only kept the entry document, the entry stamp page and the stamps after that, ie the last three months.

Thus, based on my experience, I would advise that as long as you have your money in the bank when you get your bank letter and that letter is concurrent with your application, you have met the requirements of the policy document mentioned above.

Unles lopbuiri3 or Sunbelt Asia have contrary views, which I would gladly ascede to, the financial qualitifcation of a 800K bank account vs. pension+bank account for long stay extentions based on retirement are not the same.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I went to Kap Choeng new office yesterday, to enquire if my work permit altered my status, and was told no. Mine is a marriage visa/extension, and anyone holding one can apply for a permit to work.However, I was informed that as well as the money having to be in there two months preceding the application, I had to show proof of where the 400,000 came from.

Proof has always been a requirement for support money - to prevent illegal work. If you have a work permit and money is from that it can be local but if not overseas source must be shown. Normally passbook code will show that for wire transfers and immigration will use that proof.