Jomtien beach back to pristine splendor.... until the next time

webfact

"Next time" being TOMORROW.  I hate tattoos but maybe the person in charge of the beaches should have a tattoo on his arm saying "Beaches need to be cleaned DAILY" as a constant reminder.  It doesn't seem to be sinking in that cleaning every now and then really doesn't hack it.

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Don't you just love the positive thinkers on this topic.....how dull life would be for people if they looked at life with nothing but doom and gloom.....thankfully none of those on here?

Probably 90% of people on Thaivisa are slightly bitter and twisted - why  I have no idea.  The Kingdom is my home, and I  enjoy every day- so many spend their lives comparing everything to back home. Back home is so dull , cold and boring. 

Its to all a bit of an adventure here.

Good to see the beach looking better. 

8 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Probably 90% of people on Thaivisa are slightly bitter and twisted - why  I have no idea.  The Kingdom is my home, and I  enjoy every day- so many spend their lives comparing everything to back home. Back home is so dull , cold and boring. 

How many Chinese submarines would it take to build a sewage treatment plant? Or a sanitary landfill or 5? How many sea battles has the LOS been involved?

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Eoohg

23 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

The beaches where I grew up have been clean of trash for hundreds of thousands of years. The American Indians indigenous to the area would never trash the environment. The people who stole the land from them wouldn't either. But we aren't soulless savages like the Thais.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Now a person can swim with their favorite brown trout ? The beach may have no trash at present, but lurking in the water where even sharks fear to tread lurks the dreaded brown trout 5555. 

Pop down at 6pm today and have a look, nothing stays clean for long around here as tourists love it with loads of trash around, said one of the patt people recently did they not.

I am going to start a new website for vacations on rubbish dumps, can I have your nominations for the best garbage dumps to visit

10 hours ago, wvavin said:

Planning & design need real brain but not in this country!

That's at Soi Now and it's "recent" construction.  The hotels on that Street regularly tell tourists to go swimming at the beach when they know raw sewage is pumped every night just a few hundred meters offshore.  Wonderful place.

I was driving by the (clean) north end of Jomtien beach around 4PM Monday by the corner, and there were about 10 police officers standing about. I thought someone must have robbed a bank. Upon closer look, there were some photographers, and what looked like senior officials for the photo op. There was at least 1 van, and a couple of cars, and lots of saluting as the whole entourage left back to Pattaya in a convoy up Theprasit road.

2 hours later I took a stroll, and could not believe the huge amount of trash strewn about on the beach around the playground area, and it was as far as you could see both ways, and even up in an area I used to sit in the sand and relax and enjoy. I never was brave enough to venture out on the sand Monday as it was so filthy, and instead sat on the sidewalk and watched the rats scurry about for their evening meals.

Those in charge must have felt necessary to counter the recent bad publicity and ordered a small section to be cleaned prior to the entourage getting there for pictures. Perhaps they might have walked over 200m further south, where the windrow of washed up garbage continues for the next 10 kms towards Bang Saray, but I did not see them anywhere else other than the cleaned section. 

We all know that 99% of it is coming from the sea and washes up on the beach, which is continuously fed all the garbage by the sewage outflows a few hundred meters offshore, and garbage strewn ditches and tributaries. 

The beach is a dump, the water is polluted, you can't relax in a beach chair and enjoy a cold beer or a smoke while using the garbage cans and ashtrays provided, so there is not much reason for me to go there anymore. I live about 100m from the beach, and now since I can't use it, I don't have a reason to be paying a premium to be in this place.

At the very least, for the short term, they need a whole army of Cambodian garbage pickers as well as some sand cleaning machines active during low tides.

13 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Hmmm.

Just how frigging smart do you have to be to ask Alibaba for a quote for a beach cleaning machine, buy it and import it?

These babies can clean 7 + acres an hour picking up all the craps that is dropped as litter or washed in.  They even pick up cigarette ends!

Maybe our Chinese friends could toss one in for each submarine purchased.

unnamed.jpg

great idea, then the minions would endlessly post about the foul smell of the tractor pulling the machine.  Why on earth can't we all just toss our trash, or rubbish, in its proper place?  Was drinking a few right behind the Jomtien Police box the other afternoon....an actual Thai cop thanked me for keeping my empties in a plastic bag.  Marvellous concept.  Can't say it spilled over to the other vacationers.

nah, very bland a shadow of what it was not too long ago.  trees were pleasant. The walkway was fine.  Now as for water quality, did you see the article recently up in Hua Hin how many fish died due to the runoff from the rains?  All that sewage and raw pollutants are just seeping into Jomtien daily.  too bad because it really is a wonderful looking stretch of sand and I used to really enjoy swimming there on vacation from the cold Northeast USA winters.  now, just can't get the courage up to go in the water

9 hours ago, soistalker said:

The beaches where I grew up have been clean of trash for hundreds of thousands of years. The American Indians indigenous to the area would never trash the environment. The people who stole the land from them wouldn't either. But we aren't soulless savages like the Thais.

I am curious, where is/was your beach?

21 hours ago, simon43 said:

Off-topic, but why tf are the lamp-posts located almost in the middle of that rather narrow pavement?

If you think they are almost in the middle, maybe you need glasses or at least and eye test. :sorry::wai: 

Edited by Si Thea01

34 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Thais are not smart enough to solve or control the problem. So, it will get worse...much worse. We have an unintelligent, uneducated, selfish population who destroy what used to be beautiful.

the tourists will stop coming. 

Yup. Me thinks so too.

Jomtien beach has a very sterile feel to it.  Kind of like a sterile lake, a place with no personality.  It to me has never been pristine, unless I guess if one has never experienced a true pristine/beautiful beach environment.

So many wonderful beaches around the world and in fact in Thailand much much better.

Even Pattaya beach seems much more inviting and interesting.

Did you see it looking better?

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app