Flight booking before UK visitor visa granted?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if my wife is able to get a visitor visa before she shows a flight booking? or does she have to show a return flight booking before they will issue a visitor visa?

Reason being I cannot plan in advance for a date that she will fly as I work outside of the UK and will be meeting her in UK. My work does not have definite dates, I am likely to find out about my flight to UK about a week (if that) before I fly, so was hoping to then book her a ticket to match my dates when they become available. Of course this means that she would need a visitor visa already to go.

Advise appreciated.

The UKVI specifically advice against the purchase of a non refundable ticket before a visa has been issued. She wouldn't need to show a ticket when her application is submitted.

A Border Force Officer at the UK Border might ask for sight of her return flights, when she lands.

The application will ask for details of her indicative travel plans and the visa would be issued to commence on that date.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/10/2017 at 6:43 PM, theoldgit said:

The UKVI specifically advice against the purchase of a non refundable ticket before a visa has been issued. She wouldn't need to show a ticket when her application is submitted.

A Border Force Officer at the UK Border might ask for sight of her return flights, when she lands.

The application will ask for details of her indicative travel plans and the visa would be issued to commence on that date.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just to follow up on this, am I right in thinking that there is no requirement for a return flight.

A friend is taking his Thai partner to the UK on a one-way ticket, with the intention of buying the return leg once her exact return date is known.

They are traveling together so he can explain this at UK Immigration.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Just to follow up on this, am I right in thinking that there is no requirement for a return flight.

A friend is taking his Thai partner to the UK on a one-way ticket, with the intention of buying the return leg once her exact return date is known.

They are traveling together so he can explain this at UK Immigration.

No there's no actual requirement to show a return ticket, either when leaving Bangkok or on arrival in the UK.

That said on arrival at the UK Border the Border Force Officer will need to be satisfied that the holder of the visa is still a genuine visitor who will leave the UK at the conclusion of their visit, the traveller might be asked to show a return ticket or if they don't have one they may be asked for evidence that they have the means to purchase one.

So the simple answer to your question is that there's no requirement to have a return ticket. 

• Like 1

Ideally buy a ticket that allows the return dates to be changed with minimal fuss and cost. UK bought tickets tend to lock you into fixed dates and may be costly to change. Thailand bought tickets used to be more flexible but it may be that things have changed in recent years.

Although, as theoldgit says, a return or onward ticket is not a requirement for entry to the UK as a visitor, some airlines are unaware of this so will refuse to carry someone who does not possess one.

This is because they do not want to risk being fined and having to bear the cost of returning a passenger to their departure point for carrying a passenger who they know does not meet the entry requirements for their destination.

Check with your airline if they will carry your wife with a visit visa and a single ticket only. If not then, as bobrussell says, buy a return with a changeable return date.