60+30 Day Work Visa For Philippine English Teachers

Today I accompanied a friend to the Philippine Consulate; whilst we were there we struck up a conversation with a Philippine Lady who is working as an English Teacher here in Bangkok. :D She told us 3 of her children and thier Philippine husbands were also teaching in schools here as well .She said 5 of her friends from the Philippines also worked as English teachers on a salary of 13,000Bhat per month and all of them used the technique of going to Laos to obtain a tourist visa (to work here 60 days plus 30 extension) This Philippine women has been living and working here for the last 5 years, all the time working on 30 day VOA's and she and all her family and friends intend to continue doing so indefinitely . Now I know why we are all having such a difficult time staying here as genuine long stay tourists,(I am 48 and on a Military Pension) and why the new rules have not stopped Flips and their Thai Employers abusing the tourist visa system. :D

I am glad that the Australian consulate in Manila rejects 99% of the applications for tourist visas going to Australia as 99% of Flips applying are economic tourists just like the ones here working as English Teachers and making life hard for the rest of us. :o

Soon they will spoil it for the genuine Philippine Tourists and all Philippine passport holders will be given a hard time in Thai consulates because of these cheats and their lazy employers.

The new laws have not stopped the Honest from continuing there activities nor has it stopped the dishonest as it was supposed to have done.

Edited by nucopia

These are poor souls that have no other choice.

The system is to be blamed , not the people.

It is already nearly impossible to get a Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy in Manila.

The Philipinos are , IMHO , the big losers since the new rule have been implemented.

These are poor souls that have no other choice.

The system is to be blamed , not the people.

It is already nearly impossible to get a Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy in Manila.

The Philipinos are , IMHO , the big losers since the new rule have been implemented.

Every system is open for abuse. Society relies on our honesty and integrity to not break the law its called Character. Since when has poverty been an excuse to justify doing some thing wrong when caught breaking the rules the rest of us abide by?

IMHO it’s a fact; Flipinos have a knack for exploitation. But then maybe its because they are such poor souls that they have no other choices.

Thai schools have a responsibility too.... not to hire teachers with out providing them with proper work permits and visa's.

its not the system its those who abuse it that make the rest suffer..

Aus is desparately short of good pre school teachers and nurses.

They should be opening the gates to Phillipinos.

All they do let in is thousands of chinese with no english at all and other refugees with no skills

Today I accompanied a friend to the Philippine Consulate; whilst we were there we struck up a conversation with a Philippine Lady who is working as an English Teacher here in Bangkok. :D She told us 3 of her children and thier Philippine husbands were also teaching in schools here as well .She said 5 of her friends from the Philippines also worked as English teachers on a salary of 13,000Bhat per month and all of them used the technique of going to Laos to obtain a tourist visa (to work here 60 days plus 30 extension) This Philippine women has been living and working here for the last 5 years, all the time working on 30 day VOA's and she and all her family and friends intend to continue doing so indefinitely . Now I know why we are all having such a difficult time staying here as genuine long stay tourists,(I am 48 and on a Military Pension) and why the new rules have not stopped Flips and their Thai Employers abusing the tourist visa system. :D

I am glad that the Australian consulate in Manila rejects 99% of the applications for tourist visas going to Australia as 99% of Flips applying are economic tourists just like the ones here working as English Teachers and making life hard for the rest of us. :o

Soon they will spoil it for the genuine Philippine Tourists and all Philippine passport holders will be given a hard time in Thai consulates because of these cheats and their lazy employers.

The new laws have not stopped the Honest from continuing there activities nor has it stopped the dishonest as it was supposed to have done.

Since when has poverty been an excuse to justify doing some thing wrong when caught breaking the rules the rest of us abide by?

You need to visit SoCal, and see 12 million illegal Mexicans and the invasion they have led.....You can then get an idea of how bad it can be.

They use the same excuse that they are just trying to have a better life for thier kid...yada,,,,yada...yada.

I decided prior to marrying my Thai wife and preparing to move to Thailand, that when I got broke, sick, did not like fast bikes, good whiskey, and pretty ladies any more, I would just go to a bank with my least favorite shotgun and wait for the police to arrest me. Then tell them I was only trying to do exactly what I had learned from our Mexican neighbors....worked for them..... :o

I will be joining all of you in Thailand soon. :D

Do you have the average number of Filipino teachers here in Thailand working Illegally?Because its seems your to me that you only see filipinos here working illegally.Maybe try to visit some schools and ou will know how many Farang are working illegally too, maybe shocked to find out that it is double the number of what you call illegal Filipino workers. It just happened that thse guys need a job for their family and these schools are allowing them not be be legal. I think if given a chance and proper docs, they want to be legal, I mean who want to work illegal right?

:D

<deleted>! How can you post something like this?

These Filipinos are being exploited by their Thai employers! I know because I knew some of them and they don't really want to stay illegal but there is no choice. Can you imagine 13,000 Baht for an English teacher? And I bet that they are also eligible for what they do and actually most of them are licensed teachers not like some of us farangs who are just hired because we are native english speakers. Their employers are suppose to get them proper visas and work permit and to pay them salary according to Thai labour laws (at least 30,000 Baht for Filipinos if I'm not mistaken). But the employers are not willing to pay that amount and putting these poor souls at risk of imprisonment by working without visa. The new rules has already sent some of these poor souls to their homeland... happy about that?

What the helll are you and your friend doing in Philippine consulate anyway? :D

Edited by thai_narak

<deleted>! How can you post something like this?

These Filipinos are being exploited by their Thai employers! I know because I knew some of them and they don't really want to stay illegal but there is no choice. Can you imagine 13,000 Baht for an English teacher? And I bet that they are also eligible for what they do and actually most of them are licensed teachers not like some of us farangs who are just hired because we are native english speakers. Their employers are suppose to get them proper visas and work permit and to pay them salary according to Thai labour laws (at least 30,000 Baht for Filipinos if I'm not mistaken). But the employers are not willing to pay that amount and putting these poor souls at risk of imprisonment by working without visa. The new rules has already sent some of these poor souls to their homeland... happy about that?

What the helll are you and your friend doing in Philippine consulate anyway? :D

Yeah! thingking of that also, a farang who hates filipinos but actually doing business in the embassy. :D

They should be paid accordingly just like to farangs after all they are qualified.I think better than most teachers there whos just speaks native English. I have many friends actually saying Filipino teachers are better teachers because they teach not for only for the money but because they love what they're doing. Poor souls they have to come back because of the new visa set up here.but given the chance to be legal i think they will.

Look at the post here how many filipinos are here asking for help in their visa because they want to stay in Thailand longer? Maybe just 20% 80 % mostly farangs right?

What is really scary is if the OP is an english teacher here in Thailand. The grammar in his post sucks. At least a Filipina will do better!

:o:D or he is probably one of the australian guys who wants to teach and can't get one because he has no degree or he needs an AA,, Yes I think these filipino guys knows how to get around it and gets away with it and he can't.. retired military guy??? :D come on man,,, give me a break,,, just try to look for a job and quit yap'n about these filipino guys....peace

What is really scary is if the OP is an english teacher here in Thailand. The grammar in his post sucks. At least a Filipina will do better!

:o:D or he is probably one of the australian guys who wants to teach and can't get one because he has no degree or he needs an AA,, Yes I think these filipino guys knows how to get around it and gets away with it and he can't.. retired military guy??? :D come on man,,, give me a break,,, just try to look for a job and quit yap'n about these filipino guys....peace

good One!.....

TO OP:

Man, you're d_amn blind if you can't see that there are just as much farang (maybe even more!) working illegally here.

So going by your logic, Filipinos could just say the same,

"No wonder we Filipinos are having such a hard time getting visas! It's because of the ILLEGAL FARANGS!"

TO THE (illegal) FILIPINOS: (There are legal ones as well)

I actually agree with OP that poverty is not an excuse to do things illegally. You're taking a very big risk! Do not work illegally even if you see other filipinos and farangs doing it.

Even worse, you give the "legal Filipinos" a bad name, and make it harder for them to be legal.

"Illegal Filipinos" who had and have full knowledge that they are or would be illegal deserve to be sued by the legal Filipinos for ruining the Filipino reputation as a whole!!! Maybe the legal Filipinos should at least start secretly reporting on the illegal ones to they know to be sent to JAIL, because the illegal Filipinos make it hard for ALL Filipinos, even the legal ones.

I know many legal Filipinos who are planning to do this (report the illegal ones). YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED. GET LEGAL NOW or GET OUT OF THAILAND.

You can blame it on "complex" government rules all you want, but those are the rules here and you have to follow it because it's their land.

As for the "Filipinos 'should' be given same opportunites as farang..." There are so many "shoulds" in this world. The customer is king. If the customers want white teachers, you can't do anything about it except show that you're just as good a teacher and eventually (maybe in 50 years) the customers will like you instead. You're like a new Cola product in the market saying "My cola is just as good as Coke or even better. The consumers "should" buy us instead." How long will it take for that brand to build itself? Overnight because it "should"? Duh!

Get over it! And stop carrying that chip on your shoulder. It takes years, maybe a century to build a brand, and you are no different... so accept it!

Note: I only singled out illegal Filipinos who had full knowledge that they would be illegal. That's because many (just like farang) are swindled by employers into believing that the work permit will be processed, but then the employer goes back on his word once the worker is here in Thailand, and it's too late for the worker to back out because he already spent a lot of money on the move, or the employer pretends that the work permit is "just delayed" and is "being processed" and "will be out soon" even if it's not.

Edited by junkofdavid2

TO OP:

Man, you're d_amn blind if you can't see that there are just as much farang (maybe even more!) working illegally here.

So going by your logic, Filipinos could just say the same,

"No wonder we Filipinos are having such a hard time getting visas! It's because of the ILLEGAL FARANGS!"

TO THE (illegal) FILIPINOS: (There are legal ones as well)

I actually agree with OP that poverty is not an excuse to do things illegally. You're taking a very big risk! Do not work illegally even if you see other filipinos and farangs doing it.

Even worse, you give the "legal Filipinos" a bad name, and make it harder for them to be legal.

"Illegal Filipinos" who had and have full knowledge that they are or would be illegal deserve to be sued by the legal Filipinos for ruining the Filipino reputation as a whole!!! Maybe the legal Filipinos should at least start secretly reporting on the illegal ones they know, because the illegal Filipinos make it hard for ALL Filipinos, even the legal ones.

Note: I only singled out illegal Filipinos who had full knowledge that they would be illegal. That's because many (just like farang) are swindled by employers into believing that the work permit will be processed, but then the employer goes back on his word once the worker is here in Thailand, and it's too late for the worker to back out because he already spent a lot of money on the move, or the employer pretends that the work permit is "just delayed" and is "being processed" and "will be out soon" even if it's not.

Very well said!

Seems like you are missing the point - Filipinos speak poor english with a wierd accent.

oh, is this the point? I thought the OP was talking about filipinos working illegally on a tourist visa just like most farangs do anyway.

why talk about filipinos where there are lots of farangs here doing the same thing (working illegally) anyway? i reckon that the OP is also doing a visa run in laos from his other post.

Seems like you are missing the point - Filipinos speak poor english with a wierd accent.

POOR ENGLISH??? :o well if I spoke poor english I would not end up teaching in Assumption University, I would not finish my Doctors Degree in Education and would not be giving out advice to farangs taking up Masters Degrree in this University,, ehem,,, do you have a degree??? Or you teach pre schoolers in a private thai school with a degree from kaosan road?? peace!!!

Well tell them to Filipinos who speak good English.Maybe u haven't heard a good one speak. We don't have an accent simply because we are Filipno, and it doesn't mean that if u have weird accent u are poor in english. Logic my friend!

I know some farang english teachers with weird accents. Can I therefore conclude that ALL do?

However, I agree that the Filipino teachers that usually go for 13,000 a month (as mentioned in OP) are usually the ones with weird accents.

The upper classed Filipinos tend to have very good "neutral" accents, but Filipinos from that social strata don't go for 13,000 a month.

The weird accented Filipinos are usually from the lower classed who try too hard to put on a fake american accent.

Ironically, many CEOs and top executives of Multi National Companies in Thailand like Unilever or Proctor and Gamble are Filipinos earning 1 Million Baht a month plus perks like free 4 bedroom apartments in Centrepoint or Emporium Suites plus big car with driver.

(Don't believe me? ask Sunbelt... these Filipino top executives go to Sunbelt to process the work permits of their Filipino nannies, and the incomes of these Filipino executives can be seen on their tax returns which is a requirement when guaranteeing their nannies.)

Anyway, talk to these top Filipino executives earning 1 million baht per month and I guarantee you, they will not have a "weird" accent.

Edited by junkofdavid2

I know some farang english teachers with weird accents. Can I therefore conclude that ALL do?

However, I agree that the Filipino teachers that usually go for 13,000 a month (as mentioned in OP) are usually the ones with weird accents.

The upper classed Filipinos tend to have very good "neutral" accents, but Filipinos from that social strata don't go for 13,000 a month.

The weird accented Filipinos are usually from the lower classed who try too hard to put on a fake american accent.

Ironically, many CEOs and top executives of Multi National Companies in Thailand like Unilever or Proctor and Gamble are Filipinos earning 1 Million Baht a month plus perks like free 4 bedroom apartments in Centrepoint or Emporium Suites plus big car with driver.

(Don't believe me? ask Sunbelt... these Filipino top executives go to Sunbelt to process the work permits of their Filipino nannies, and the incomes of these Filipino executives can be seen on their tax returns which is a requirement when guaranteeing their nannies.)

Anyway, talk to these top Filipino executives earning 1 million baht per month and I guarantee you, they will not have a "weird" accent.

I have a filipino colleague who earns as much or even more than farangs do. These highly skilled dudes just don't go for 100,000 Baht salary but for 3X more. We are working in a Telecom Industry. Anyway, just trying to point out that not all filipinos you see in Thailand are english teachers and some are even earning more than you do.

Edited by thai_narak

I was in Philippines for several weeks and many speak passable English (not so good, and not so bad). However, I once shared a plane ride with a Frenchman. As we conversed (in English), I had to keep asking him to repeat things, because his accent was as thick as a brick, and his handle on tenses and vocab was abysmal. After awhile, I asked him why he was coming to Thailand. "To teach English," he said, "I have already job with prestige university." Yikes, I pity his students. But not so much as I pity the students who study English with a native Thai who can take a simple sentence like, "the house is blue" and encumber it with manifold semantics as to make it as though you're articulating fluid mechanics in a vacuum.

Let's face it, a non-credentialled farang off Kao San road can assist Thai English students in conversation and comprehension A LOT BETTER than a non-native English teacher talking about 'future pluperfect' and all sorts of confusing mechanics of sentence structure. Recently, I had some young Thai students come to me with tears of frustration in their eyes - because of just such a draconian homework assignment that was, simply stated, abysmally complicated.

I have a filipino colleague who earns as much or even more than farangs do. These highly skilled dudes just don't go for 100,000 Baht salary but for 3X more. We are working in a Telecom Industry. Anyway, just trying to point out that not all filipinos you see in Thailand are english teachers and some are even earning more than you do.

yeah not all filipinos here work as a teacher.I am not a teacher I work for a company here and earning better than most farang teachers.I agree that some has problems with the accent but you can't blame them that is not their native tongue, given a chance to study the correct one who knows maybe even better than most farangs.

I was in Philippines for several weeks and many speak passable English (not so good, and not so bad). However, I once shared a plane ride with a Frenchman. As we conversed (in English), I had to keep asking him to repeat things, because his accent was as thick as a brick, and his handle on tenses and vocab was abysmal. After awhile, I asked him why he was coming to Thailand. "To teach English," he said, "I have already job with prestige university." Yikes, I pity his students. But not so much as I pity the students who study English with a native Thai who can take a simple sentence like, "the house is blue" and encumber it with manifold semantics as to make it as though you're articulating fluid mechanics in a vacuum.

Let's face it, a non-credentialled farang off Kao San road can assist Thai English students in conversation and comprehension A LOT BETTER than a non-native English teacher talking about 'future pluperfect' and all sorts of confusing mechanics of sentence structure. Recently, I had some young Thai students come to me with tears of frustration in their eyes - because of just such a draconian homework assignment that was, simply stated, abysmally complicated.

Yeah most of the filipinos in the Philippine speak and understands english even the vendors and the drivers and these are not holding any degree maybe just finishd elementary...but hey guys the OP is about illegal filipino workers isn't it?...

Cheers

just like a non-credentialled thai who can teach you the thai language; but sometimes it's not about who are native speakers or not but it's about eligibility to do the job. imagine a "retired military" farang teaching english subject? i think to be able to teach is not so easy and there are teaching techniques and skills to practice.

anyway, so how many farangs who are teaching english in Thailand with teaching degree? 1 percent? maybe less. And how many Indians, Burmese, Filipinos teaching in Thailand with teaching degrees? a lot...

Edited by thai_narak

yeah not all filipinos here work as a teacher.I am not a teacher I work for a company here and earning better than most farang teachers.I agree that some has problems with the accent but you can't blame them that is not their native tongue, given a chance to study the correct one who knows maybe even better than most farangs.

"not their native tongue"

Many may be surprised to know that for many Filipinos (in the upper classed families), English is the FIRST language.

The first language of upper classed Filipinos is usually English, Spanish, or Fookien Chinese... afterwhich they learn the local Philippine language as a subject in school starting at grade 1.

Edited by junkofdavid2

["not their native tongue"

Many may be surprised to know that for many Filipinos (in the upper classed families), English is the FIRST language.

The first language of upper classed Filipinos is usually English, Spanish, or Fookien Chinese... afterwhich they learn the local Philippine language as a subject in school starting at grade 1.

yeah for the upper class it is the case but what we are talking about is the normal Filipino. But i think most Philippines schools now encourage their students to speak in English and start it as early as nursery.

Edited by filipina_26