Buying a new bicycle, information and recommendations

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I just replaced my MTB tires, it would have almost been worth buying a new MTB just for the tires.

Was thinking of getting a Coyote (4k) with disc brakes and just swapping the wheels, tires and brakes onto my old Trek bike.

My issue with the real cheap bikes is the stamped wheel hubs they usually have.  That's the first thing I look at- whether the hubs are stamped or machined from solid barstock. (Technically, they're machined from a solid forging and not barstock, but that's minutia)  It's not definitive, obviously.  But stamped hubs are a deal killer and very easy to spot.

26 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I just replaced my MTB tires, it would have almost been worth buying a new (cheap) MTB just for the tires.

Was thinking of getting a Coyote (4k) with disc brakes and just swapping the wheels, tires and brakes onto my old Trek bike.

Front chain rings, what do you do when they wear out? almost 1k each ring (if you can find them) and there are 3 of them.

It don't matter how much WD40 I spray on them, it won't bring the teeth back!

Depending on the bolt pattern and number of teeth you need, chain rings or complete crank sets are pretty easy to find at a lot of the bike shops around BKK for 700 baht and up (can go way up) for a complete crank set.  The shops near Lumpini have them, and so do a lot of the shops in Chinatown.  You may have to ask, though since some keep them in the parts cabinets.  I can't speak for up country or down Samui way, though.  They can also be found on Lazada and AliExpress. 

Caveat:  Make sure you also get the correct thickness to fit the chain- which will be for 7, 8, 9, or whatever rear gears...  I miss the old days when you just had 5 or 10 speeds.

BTW, for some fun browsing, follow this path at Lazada.com and sort by Prices, High to Low

Home/ Sports & Outdoors/ Outdoor Recreation/ Cycling/ Bikes Parts

Edited by impulse

You will probably get far more choice in Bangkok, and I don't think shipping will be all that expensive.

I bought my Trek Mountain bike about four years ago from Probike, opposite Lumpini Park. They sent the unopened, boxed bike by courier to Samui. I assembled it myself. Just needed a few tools. I think it was only about 600-700 shipping fee.

For your information. There is also another bike shop that stocks Cannondale bikes around Sukhumvit 26, 28. Can't quite recall which soi.

This might be of interest:

https://bicyclethailand.com/information/bike-stores/

Edited by phetphet