Bunch of old visas transferred to new passport

Hi there,

A few years ago I went to my Embassy in Bangkok and got a new passport from there, during that time I was on my last extension for an ED Visa.

Of course I had to wait a few weeks for the passport and when I received it the first page was filled with most of the visas I had prior to that which I really didnt like much.

My passport is almost full again and I will have to get another again soon. Again I am on my last extension before I require a new Visa.
My question now is, do they always transfer all the old visas as a note to the new passport? I would like to get a blank passport for reasons many understand, only the last extension should be in it and not everything which doesnt look good if I want to apply for another Visa. I will get a marriage visa anyway after this year, but I do not want them to transfer all the visa stamps into my new passport, as if they wanted to make a note of "hey, that guy had quite a few visas in the past already" .

Does anyone know something about this? Is it always like this?

Thank you in advance :)

I doubt very much whether they transferred all the old visa stickers. In my experience, all they transfer is the entry stamp from the original entry into Thailand on your last visa, plus the record of extensions of that entry  (which they originally issued) plus a reentry permit (if they issued that) plus an annotation pointing back at your old passport.

(Note: stamps in your passport these days are never visas. Visas are full page stickers, and have been for many years.)

• Like 1

They only do a annotation about the visa you used for your most recent entry to the country which in your case it would be the one that gave you 90 day entry you have been extending. They will do the entry stamp from that visa and the most recent one if you have left the country since then. They will also transfer your current extension of stay stamp.

Thank you for the very quick answers which are very helpful.
There was a time when you didnt have to leave the country while on an ED Visa every year and I was always able to get a new Visa within the country directly from the school/immigration.

A few years ago that changed and since then you need to leave every year and get the Visa at one of the Embassies outside of Thailand.

Could that be the reason why they actually transferred so many stamps in mini format into the new passport?

So from what I understand this shouldnt be the case this time and I should only see an annotation from last year in the new passport which is totally fine.

15 minutes ago, Binding2003 said:

There was a time when you didnt have to leave the country while on an ED Visa every year and I was always able to get a new Visa within the country directly from the school/immigration.

Unless you left the country and re-entered without a visa there would of been no reason to get a new visa every year. You would just keep getting new extension of stay.

If you applied for a visa at immigration you could end up with some additional entry stamps transferred. They would transfer the entry stamp you got on entry and then another one when they issued the visa and and did a new entry stamp.

Thank you Ubonjoe, that makes things clear then. I arrived 2009, left the country I think 2013/14 after I received the new passport, and during this time only extended my stay every year.

So I had 1 page full of previous stamps as the original entry was made 2009 , ugh haha.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They only do a annotation about the visa you used for your most recent entry to the country which in your case it would be the one that gave you 90 day entry you have been extending. They will do the entry stamp from that visa and the most recent one if you have left the country since then. They will also transfer your current extension of stay stamp.

He is claiming the Embassy  transferred stamps from his old passport.

As far as I am aware, that's the job of Immigration.

So I am failing to understand how he can receive a passport from an Embassy with an Immigration stamp in it?

Edited by lkv

To put it another way, the history transferred into your new passport should begin at your last "new entry" into Thailand.  If you left and returned using a re-entry permit, this entry would not count as a "new entry," so would be included in the transferred-history which begins with your first "new entry."

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless you left the country and re-entered without a visa there would of been no reason to get a new visa every year. You would just keep getting new extension of stay.

I have to disagree with that Joe, ED visas for Thai language schools get 3 months extensions at a time (in fortunate cases). After 12 months, they will refuse to extend them further, and one would have to apply for a new nonEd outside of Thailand.

29 minutes ago, lkv said:

I have to disagree with that Joe, ED visas for Thai language schools get 3 months extensions at a time (in fortunate cases). After 12 months, they will refuse to extend them further, and one would have to apply for a new nonEd outside of Thailand.

He was writing in past tense when he wrote about the extensions.

Prior to August 2014 when the new police order went into effect they were issued as one year visas at most immigration offices and there was no requirement to get a new visa after 12 months.