Briton jailed for touching man at Dubai bar - newspapers

webfact

Briton jailed for touching man at Dubai bar - newspapers

DUBAI (Reuters) - A Briton accused of touching another man at a bar in the United Arab Emirates was sentenced to three months in jail by a Dubai court on Sunday, local newspapers reported.

State-linked daily The National said 27-year-old Jamie Harron from Scotland was arrested for allegedly touching the behind of a German expatriate, who reported him to police.

Media reports say the alleged sexual assault, which Harron has strongly denied, happened at the rowdy Rock Bottom bar - a popular haunt for the many well-heeled foreigners in Dubai.

Dubai, a tourism and trade hub in the Gulf, allows drinking in hotels and bars as it seeks to encourage foreigners to visit but has strict laws against homosexuality and public indecency.

Detained in Dubai, an advocacy group, said on its official Facebook page that Harron would appeal the verdict but that he had lost his job because of the case and was struggling to afford his legal expenses.

"He is angry, disappointed, and dreads what may happen next. He feels betrayed and exploited by the system," said the group's head, Radha Stirling, who has been in contact with Harron's family.

(Reporting by Dubai Newsroom; Editing by Dale Hudson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-23

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly the only thing that could have made this story even more ludicrous would have been being sentenced to being stoned to death. Marvelous advert for Dubai, which has clearly warned everyone, is a lunatic place not to visit. Have to ask what was going on in the Germans head, to push the case this far?

37 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Possibly the only thing that could have made this story even more ludicrous would have been being sentenced to being stoned to death. Marvelous advert for Dubai, which has clearly warned everyone, is a lunatic place not to visit. Have to ask what was going on in the Germans head, to push the case this far?

The incident took placed at a bar in the Barsha Heights district on July 15.

The victim, who is of Jordanian descent, told Dubai Criminal Court that when he questioned Harron about touching his behind, the accused flashed his middle finger.

“I didn't say anything nor did I scream or insult him. I just called police, who arrested him,” said the 49-year-old manager, who had not met the accused before.

More here:

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/courts/scottish-tourist-jailed-for-drunkenly-touching-man-in-dubai-bar-1.669245

na23-OCT-Harron.jpg

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

28 minutes ago, yougivemebaby said:

Dubai is an over rated poop hole. Who would want their freedoms taken away by traveling to a country that is bigoted and sexist? Sexual assualt is one thing. But being gay is illegal ? Anyone who chooses to go there on a holiday is supporting this nonsense. 

Most people go for the money.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Can't help thinking that maybe the German didn't like someone touching his rear end.  Not everyone in the world resolves things with their fists.

10 minutes ago, car720 said:

Should be "go anywhere".

Not the case, almost everywhere outside the middle east is tolerant of minor acts that may cause distress to members of the public, and are not punishable by imprisonment.

Examples: 

Public display of affection.

Dress code.

Taking photographs of other people without their permission.

Being intoxicated (not disorderly).

Using profanity.

Dancing or playing loud music.

Edited by coulson

From what i have read ,it seems it was not just a touch to fend someone off while he was carrying a drink , i doubt we will ever know the real story , but i assume that the guy is gay ,and offence was taken that he put his hand on the other guys bum ,

Edited by bert bloggs

it was apparently an "so sorry" fiddle of the butt after bumping into someone (oh really ... ), and when being asked what the ...., giving the finger.
Depending on the situation, I might have been tempted to give a one-two in the stomach.

but there it still hope for this sod, although I do not understand how that will work:.
""Detained in Dubai, a British-based legal group, said his "lawyers say they will appeal" on Twitter on Sunday. ""

Whether one likes it or not, it’s their country and their laws. Western self-entitlement has no voice outside its borders. To touch a guys bum then give him the middle finger—surprised he didn’t get flogged too. He should consider himself lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, RichardinHuaHin said:

You mean like farangs here?  Riding motorcycles with no helmets, driving drunk, speeding, etc?

Everyone does that here, nothing to do with what I said in my post.

You are a lot more likely to land yourself deep in it in Middle East, for far less. So anyone with a brain shouldn't mess around.

Here, enough money and being polite can get you out of almost anything.

31 minutes ago, coulson said:

Everyone does that here, nothing to do with what I said in my post.

You are a lot more likely to land yourself deep in it in Middle East, for far less. So anyone with a brain shouldn't mess around.

Here, enough money and being polite can get you out of almost anything.

Well you said you don't <(&()@#@> around as you would at home.  Well i don't think most of these people would do these things in their home country either.  Just saying.

Edited by RichardinHuaHin

29 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

SOM ! Anybody who travels or live in "these countries" for any reason just deserve all what happened to them !

Is that regardless of whether they bring misfortune upon themselves or are caught up as innocent bystanders?

We will probably never know the whole true story but I wonder what would happen if a young guy put his hands on an older guys butt in a straight bar in Glasgow and when confronted gave him the middle finger? I'm not from there so maybe someone else knows. 

10 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

It seems that the greed push many to go there... until shit happens and they understand what they are.

It seems that those who make fatuous statements without the ability to back them up commence their statements with "It seems that..." .

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Can't help thinking that maybe the German didn't like someone touching his rear end.  Not everyone in the world resolves things with their fists.

the "German" is a disguised Jordanian moron (see post #9)