Am I a genius or what? - Luggage.

AllanB

Looking at this I had an epiphany http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/coyote-saddlebag/

Why not make it out of 7" water tube? It solves the problem of building a frame. The end caps are available, and if the 90degs are available too the intersection parts are solved too. It can be made waterproof, lockable and cheap.

When the job is done, clean up and get it "wrapped".

Just off to DoHome, so if anyone has anything (positive) to add PDS.

PS. I made an extension skimmer for my bag filter years ago out of this stuff, works a treat, so no huge shitty sand filter for my pool. Take it out, rinse the dirt and replace.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean water pipe? The blue plastic that comes in all sizes?

That's what i use for a letter box, maybe it will bounce around or rattle a lot. Would you hard mount it?

How about a truck tyre inner tube? I'm sure that could be modified easily to be the same as the coyote bag. 

44 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Do you mean water pipe? The blue plastic that comes in all sizes?

That's what i use for a letter box, maybe it will bounce around or rattle a lot. Would you hard mount it?

How about a truck tyre inner tube? I'm sure that could be modified easily to be the same as the coyote bag. 

Yes, the blue water pipe, just got back from DoHome, they do have 90degs but they are really heavy and bulky, so I have two awkward curves to cut on the cross piece. Lots of spare material to practice on though. Could do with a belt sander.

Also the blanking ends have got bigger since last time and heavier, but I can cut the height down to 1 cm before I glue them, the tops I will cut down too and make some sort of latch. The tube itself is not that heavy, so about 1 to 1.5m in total and 4 cut down end caps, oh and a bit of bracketary.

There will be 3 compartments, 2 side pods blanked at the base and each with a cap and one crosspiece with large letterbox hole cut and a cover.

I have a small rack on the bike with two holes for the orange tank thing the sell, so will mount it on that some how. This way I can avoid building side racks which are vulnerable, if I drop the bike the bunjies will just come off....or they might break???

Also looking at 6^...........

Hmm I'd pick "what" :)

Not exactly the best material to make a luggage rack out of. Thin pipes are not sturdy enough and the bigger ones are too bulky. Prone to develop cracks too if you drill holes in them. And after a long day in the sun I wouldn't trust them to hold up much. They were not designed for this kind of use. Seen way too many pieces falling off of vehicles in Thailand already.

I used these things to build a frame for a little dog house but that's as much as I would trust them in terms of providing structural integrity...

Really don't have to go to such extremes to get something on the cheap.

32 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Hmm I'd pick "what" :)

Not exactly the best material to make a luggage rack out of. Thin pipes are not sturdy enough and the bigger ones are too bulky. Prone to develop cracks too if you drill holes in them. And after a long day in the sun I wouldn't trust them to hold up much. They were not designed for this kind of use. Seen way too many pieces falling off of vehicles in Thailand already.

I used these things to build a frame for a little dog house but that's as much as I would trust them in terms of providing structural integrity...

Really don't have to go to such extremes to get something on the cheap.

When you get up to this diameter the wall thickness is substantial, these pipes are designed to carry a lot more weight in water (unsupported too) than the luggage I will be carrying and this water is under substantial pressure too, which increases the load. Calc, 1 metre of 7" will carry 25kg of water, we plan on about 8kg.

You are correct about the UV problem with regards to it becoming brittle after time, I am counting on the wrap providing such protection, which is what it is designed to do.

This is about DIY, not "cheap", a little necessary originality, since most systems for this bike are designed for solo riders and employ seat space. I am personally impressed by very little I have seen, on the market, regardless of the (high) prices.

.....and once my job, it's now a hobby of mine.... Give it a go anyway.

PS Don't plan on drilling any holes and if I have to, will glue on reinforcements where applicable.

Edited by AllanB

55 minutes ago, BBJ said:

But they aren't designed to take constant vibration and bumpy roads.  Will crack and some numpty in the rear may end up on their ass avoiding the debris of broken pipes sprayed on the road.

PVC doesn't fracture like that, it is a thermoplastic which doesn't "shatter". The structure is the important factor and I will cushion the mounting system, along with damping effects of the contents. PVC does have degree of vibration resistance, since all pumps vibrate, indeed most water system have a level of pulsation away from the pump.

You realise tarpaulin is made from PVC, albiet polyester reinforced?

Well , this project could end up looking like a dogs dinner , but you "never know , if not try". It wont be expensive to try. I use a "dry bag" or a "tank bag" on the rear portion of the seat , and 1 either side , that wouldnt interfere with a pillion. Post some photos of your filter too . It may give others some ideas. Boxes and frames are very heavy.

The pipes are made to withstand pressure from inside, and the pressure of water is distributed very evenly. Luggage can hit the pipe in a way that puts all force on a single tiny spot. Yes a bit of vibration will probably not cause a lot of problems but these big hits from potholes or similar are very different kinds of loads.

Also how do you plan to secure the pieces together? Some kind of adhesive?

Maybe it could work, but you'd have to be very careful and thoughtful to solve all kinds of issues like the UV destroying it over time. Since this is putting other peoples lives at risk, I personally would pass.

The below PVC has survived 50,000 kms of gentle treatment with no cracks or glue failure. Years ago I made water bottle holders for my bikes in Thailand out of large PVC and they held up for far more mileage than the little KLR20170610_122456.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Fishenough: do you mean the little storage compartment on the lower front side that looks like a tool tube? Interesting idea and good to hear it held up well. But it doesn't really carry load like a luggage rack would. Also doesn't the water in there get pretty hot, sitting right next to the engine.

Did some drawings/calculations last night and even if I used 6" pipe it is going to be really bulky, mainly because of the exhaust which pushes everything out 5" each side. I could build it asymmetrically, but then there is the "dog's dinner" factor, which may be the case anyway.

This is going to be on the bike most of the time, as I would like to use it for shopping, for the new width of the bike I may as well have a side car. Side cars are just perfect for the traffic.........aren't they?

My original plan was to build a frame and hang a couple of soft bags on each side. I have seen someone build a tool tube out of this pipe about 4"diameter, if I made the frame symmetrical I could fit a tool tube to mirror the silencer/muffler. 

Maybe I should have copied my mate.... and bought a Forza!!!:sad: 

We don't carry a lot of stuff and I do have a tank bag, which loses some of it's volume because of the shape of the tank. I am also thinking about a front rack to fit just above the headlight, Sheph has a neat one, she keeps her sleeping back on it.

Edited by AllanB

44 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Did some drawings/calculations last night and even if I used 6" pipe it is going to be really bulky, mainly because of the exhaust which pushes everything out 5" each side. I could build it asymmetrically, but then there is the "dog's dinner" factor, which may be the case anyway.

This is going to be on the bike most of the time, as I would like to use it for shopping, for the new width of the bike I may as well have a side car. Side cars are just perfect for the traffic.........aren't they?

My original plan was to build a frame and hang a couple of soft bags on each side. I have seen someone build a tool tube out of this pipe about 4"diameter, if I made the frame symmetrical I could fit a tool tube to mirror the silencer/muffler. 

Maybe I should have copied my mate.... and bought a Forza!!!:sad: 

We don't carry a lot of stuff and I do have a tank bag, which loses some of it's volume because of the shape of the tank. I am also thinking about a front rack to fit just above the headlight, Sheph has a neat one, she keeps her sleeping back on it.

Get a large diameter truck tube. Cut it to length and seal both ends, add an entrance flap and jobs done, no need for a frame as long as it's not touching the exhaust. Basically copy the coyote bag. Or 3500 for the saddlebags from Chiang Rai saddlebags (if i remember correctly). No frame needed . 

It is quite amazing what one can make out of that blue pvc water pipe.  My POS Platinum had a very poorly designed battery box that slowly got chewed away by the knobbly tyres.  A 4" diameter bit of pipe did the trick.  a cap on each end and I made a hatch in the middle to access the battery.

I doesnt rub on the tyres and works a treat.   Im not overly convinced re using wrap to try and give the pipe some form of UV protection.  are you going to wrap the 'knuckle ' joints as well? Personally Id just give the whole thing a good spray from a rattle can.  That way if you get any nicks or scratches a quick spray will cover it all up again.

Please post some photos of your end product.

AllanB I think you're onto something but agree with you about bulk etc. But if you were to go back the the soft bag idea think about the soft tubes of very strong  material they use for extending the water pump flows for rice fields. You see them used mostly on the archimedes screw type pumps. of pumps. That material is very strong and would be well suited for those type soft bags like in your original post. I know its lined with something but not sure if 100% waterproof as it seems to sweat. Either way good luck to you. I have always enjoyed your input and comments .

Randell

2 hours ago, Randell said:

AllanB I think you're onto something but agree with you about bulk etc. But if you were to go back the the soft bag idea think about the soft tubes of very strong  material they use for extending the water pump flows for rice fields. You see them used mostly on the archimedes screw type pumps. of pumps. That material is very strong and would be well suited for those type soft bags like in your original post. I know its lined with something but not sure if 100% waterproof as it seems to sweat. Either way good luck to you. I have always enjoyed your input and comments .

Randell

Thanks for your kind comments, I try to keep things lighthearted, I thought by claiming genius status it might attract some adverse comments, so I guess you are all agreement then?

Anyway it has generated a few useful comments/ideas, I really want to crack this problem and will revert to a simple steel frame and a couple of small modified backpacks.

I know these BMW guys are happy with their bike being as wide as a small country, but I like traffic nipping.

On 26/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, VocalNeal said:

Sorry your highness. 

You are not using his proper title, it should be "your highness, your highness".

Thought I might get away with a soft bag on the rear rack....bloody difficult to get my leg over, worried I might pull something, think side bags are better.

Don't know how you guys get on with dem Givvy boxes, you must have gone to ballet school when you were younger.

17 hours ago, AllanB said:

Don't know how you guys get on with dem Givvy boxes, you must have gone to ballet school when you were younger.

I had a 28l Givi box top box on the back of my NSR150R in Indonesia. I asked for one with the bike and that is what the dealer put on for me and they custom fabricated the rack. I used it and a small tank bag for maps etc that one might need to access on the ride.

Rode 200 Km to town for the weekend and walked into the hotel carrying a small suitcase. Leak proof in tropical rain, large enough for my shoe size. Stuck out sufficiently, although not much,  to act as crash bars if the bike got dropped. 

Worked for me but yes when I was very small my mum said she did take me to ballet school, so she could meet other moms. I have no recollection.

Got the tank bag securely mounted, there is not much steel exposed on the tank to rely on the magnets, so a couple of simple clips to help. 

Can't seem to upload the picture??

Been thinking about getting the rear frame fabricated in stainless tubing, by one of these companies that make gates. Stainless is stronger and more rigid than BMS, they have the bending, TIG welding gear and no need to paint.

Sourced a couple of suitable bags (mini rucksacks) from a company who does some work for us and they can handle the minor mods, or let me use their sewing machine. Think I can do everything with Velcro.

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Only problem with stainless , may be difficulty getting it re-welded / repaired , if needed , in a small village.Steel may be better option. KISS !.

You can stick and mig weld stainless same as steel, with the same rods and wire out in the boondocks for an emergency repair. However, the weld and the surrounding area will soon go red rusty...

I don't plan on crashing, more worried about the wifey and my leg. Duck tape/cable ties it back together to get me home, or tow behind the ambulance.

If push comes to shove we won't have much stuff, ditch the frame and strap everything onto the rack

The construction will be pretty simple, so making another will be easy.

There are some pretty good tips on Youtube of how to keep weight/bulk down and still take everything. Eg. a cheap lighter with duck tape wrapped around, tiny plastic bottles of shampoo, creams, etc..........Cutting down on weight, especially riding 2 up makes life so much easier.

On 29/10/2017 at 3:34 AM, thaiguzzi said:

You can stick and mig weld stainless same as steel, with the same rods and wire out in the boondocks for an emergency repair. However, the weld and the surrounding area will soon go red rusty...

Hey , man. I only drive these things. I dont know what makes them work !.  Quote from a famous movie , which one ?. Thaiguzzi , this is why experts such as yourself fix the machines , when people like me break them. :sorry: