Flood outlook still dire in Phitsanulok

snoop1130

Flood outlook still dire in Phitsanulok

By Mongkolchaowarat Thangmangmee 
The Nation

67dfcc60b93d381d0942ee9660546d9a-sld.jpeg

The flood situation in Phitsanulok remained worrying as rainfall continued and rivers and canals kept rising, according to an irrigation official on Wednesday.

Yom-Nan irrigation and maintenance project head Chamnan Chuthiang said officials had already installed pumps to help drain floodwaters and brought in backhoes to remove waterway-blocking hyacinth and strengthen earthen flood-barriers.

While many riverside homes were already flooded, runoff from the north kept pouring into water-retention fields with a combined area of 240,000 rai (38,400 hectares) in Phrom Phiram, Muang and Bang Rakam districts. The area now contained about 550 million cubic metres.

At Bang Kaew sluice gate in Bang Rakam, it was reported that water levels had reached 42.66 metres from mean sea level, which is 1.66 metres beyond controllable levels. Water was flowing at 90 cubic metres per second.

In Ban Mae Rakan, Tambon Ban Krang, Muang Phitsanulok, the Mae Rahan Bridge and a temporary bridge were under 25 centimetres of water, making them impassable for small vehicles.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330109

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-25

We live outside Phrom Phiram along side the Nan River.  The river is high, but in the past it has been much worse. However, one of our rice fields is in a 'monkey cheek' area. This is not the first time for the crop to be ruined, one year the water was over two meters deep (for weeks).

Luckily, the Thai Navy has come to town.

prop (600 x 397).jpg

Having been to Sukothai and Phitso several times in the last few weeks. All seems to be much the same. Water as far as the eye can see. Main towns seem to be ok but the surrounding lands are the pits.

Then again they seem to be waterlogged 90% of the year so nothing new. 

Edited by fredob43

On 11/2/2017 at 10:56 AM, fredob43 said:

Having been to Sukothai and Phitso several times in the last few weeks. All seems to be much the same. Water as far as the eye can see. Main towns seem to be ok but the surrounding lands are the pits.

Then again they seem to be waterlogged 90% of the year so nothing new. 

Muang Kao which is what you may know as Old City Sukhothai is never flooded as we are higher up so we send the water we get South.:biggrin: 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Muang Kao which is what you may know as Old City Sukhothai is never flooded as we are higher up so we send the water we get South.:biggrin: 

I did say that the main town was ok water wise.

If you care to travel along the 101 from K.P.P before you hit Khiri Mat it starts water that is, MT deep, as I have said as far as the eye can see. Both sides the road.

Been like that for at least 5 months to my knowledge. In my estimation could/will be the same in several month time.

N/B Phran Kratai town is also flooded with most of the shops closed and the ATM down. That could be a no go aria for weeks if not months more.

Best of luck anyone that has chosen to live there.

Unless you have a boat that is.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I did say that the main town was ok water wise.

If you care to travel along the 101 from K.P.P before you hit Khiri Mat it starts water that is, MT deep, as I have said as far as the eye can see. Both sides the road.

Been like that for at least 5 months to my knowledge. In my estimation could/will be the same in several month time.

N/B Phran Kratai town is also flooded with most of the shops closed and the ATM down. That could be a no go aria for weeks if not months more.

Best of luck anyone that has chosen to live there.

Unless you have a boat that is.

l was on a road going out the back of Khiri Mat leading to a village that heads towards Sukhothai, no fields only lakes. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

l was on a road going out the back of Khiri Mat leading to a village that heads towards Sukhothai, no fields only lakes. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

As the post is about the Phitsanalok floods will update those as well.

Once your on the 117 to Phitso the fields are much the same as SuK. Water as far as the eye can see.

Your a better man than me K/S going any back roads in the Khiri Mat district you would have to be fearless.

Must be testing your new boat yes that'll be it.

46 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

As the post is about the Phitsanalok floods will update those as well.

Once your on the 117 to Phitso the fields are much the same as SuK. Water as far as the eye can see.

Your a better man than me K/S going any back roads in the Khiri Mat district you would have to be fearless.

Must be testing your new boat yes that'll be it.

Went in the car not the truck and the roads were OK none or very little water except for a one breach in the road in a small village where the road surface was made into rubble pieces but not a problem.

The road was much higher than the lakes either side.