How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

Just now, balo said:

No idea, lets get back to topic or just close the thread. 

Ok well we have cut costs a lot since moving to a house from a condo.

Looks like we are spending about 450-600 baht less on food per day as a result of cooking at home.  

I'm hoping my true internet package which includes an Internet only sim can completely replace my AIS sim and only take or make calls through line or Skype.  This will save a further 300-500 baht per month.

Living in a house has also made us more like homebodies and we are using the car a lot less. Been here two weeks and just yesterday was first day we have filled car up. The bike too I noticed I've gone from 60 baht in petrol every 2-3 days to now lasting 8 days before refilling. 

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, naboo said:

Great advice.

Add fish sauce to the rice if you fancy a treat.

That mad chilli sauce from Tesco - two pints for about 20 baht. 

Joking aside, there's a serious case to be made for cooking a load of your own animal source protein at least. Street food always skimps on meat, and you might get charged 5 baht for an egg. If you're really tight, and can't be fagged cooking, you should probably cook a couple of pounds of pork or chicken every five days, and boil twenty eggs, so that when you add twenty baht worth of curry to a load of home-cooked rice you can stir in some decent protein as well. 

10 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I want my wife to die in poverty, remembering me as the  happiest (and wealthiest) time in her life and wishing I'd lived longer.

Leaving her with enough money to move in a young Thai guy the moment I'm gone, and wishing I'd died sooner ........ I think not.

You sometimes make it sound like she is living in poverty now and you're da*&^mn proud of it.

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

You sometimes make it sound like she is living in poverty now and you're da*&^mn proud of it.

lol this guy is a colourful character for sure.

Makes me laugh at all the language debate.

Do we ever find out what 'paw mun Thai' means?

Anyway, back on topic, since this about living on the poor,

i could say take him with a grain of salt but if gotta live on 4000/m cannot afford to waste the salt

11 hours ago, Craig krup said:

If you marry your mistress you create a vacancy. 

No, you start a sentence. My response to people who proudly claim they have been married for 40 years is to observe you don't get that long for murder.

While I applaud the OP for his being so Frugal I can only ask myself is that living or surviving? What type of fun is living in a city just to survive? I am not extravagant in what I spend but I can say this it's quite a bit more than 4k. How does one spend time alone in a room not being able to go out or do much other than a trip to the grocery store to buy cheap eats? What are the health benefits of living like this? I suppose if you lived by a park there are outdoor activities one could do but still 365 days a year it would be tough. 

26 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

No, you start a sentence. My response to people who proudly claim they have been married for 40 years is to observe you don't get that long for murder.

I've been married almost 40 years, but not to the same woman (and I had a year out for bad behaviour).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You weren't married to my wife.

We have so many posts of 'my wife is better than yours', maybe it would be fun to have a 'my western wife was worse than yours' thread.

Anyway, I'm betting your former wife didn't manage to tell enough lies to get you imprisoned.

And when they discovered her perjury, I was let out and paid compensation (from the police budget) while she got off free and clear.

Pussy pass wins.

28 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

We have so many posts of 'my wife is better than yours', maybe it would be fun to have a 'my western wife was worse than yours' thread.

Anyway, I'm betting your former wife didn't manage to tell enough lies to get you imprisoned.

And when they discovered her perjury, I was let out and paid compensation (from the police budget) while she got off free and clear.

Pussy pass wins.

Ouch man sorry ta hear it

27 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Pussy pass wins.

You win. no way I can top that experience. You'd get all the defenders of Western virtue on the thread.

1 hour ago, KhunMhee said:

How does one spend time alone in a room not being able to go out or do much other than a trip to the grocery store to buy cheap eats?

The internet , I'm sure you've heard of it .:smile:

Great things in front of us : VR ! ( virtual reality ) , no need to go out again. Watch the movie : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4054004/?ref_=nv_sr_1

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You win. no way I can top that experience. You'd get all the defenders of Western virtue on the thread.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Pussy pass wins.

Wow bazza73, why has your BS meter not gone to Defcon 4 on this one?

Give it time and he will post again[if not in the past already] and show his propensity to embellish or contradict this BS.

19 minutes ago, garryjohns said:

Wow bazza73, why has your BS meter not gone to Defcon 4 on this one?

Give it time and he will post again[if not in the past already] and show his propensity to embellish or contradict this BS.

This thread is better than 'Housewives of (fill in the blank)'. My overly active imagination is picturing a following of posters here sitting in their underwear, drinking a Leo beer and banging at the keyboard.

4000 baht a month, approx $120 USD - I have read that Thai's earn more than that a month - so how would it be possible? Maybe an eBook is in the works.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, steven2018 said:

This thread is better than 'Housewives of (fill in the blank)'. My overly active imagination is picturing a following of posters here sitting in their underwear, drinking a Leo beer and banging at the keyboard.

4000 baht a month, approx $120 USD - I have read that Thai's earn more than that a month - so how would it be possible? Maybe an eBook is in the works.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

Something like this what you imagined?

Sorry about image quality.  Sent from my backup computer as main unit in pieces.

Sent from my IBM Macintosh using gates technology

images(3).jpeg

Man, threads like this have been existing forever. I remember back in 2004 when I took my first trip to Thailand with my then gf, our budget was $5000 for less than 3 months not including a plane ticket (well over 150k baht as Canadian dollar was stronger).

Back on "another forum" where I was posting like a maniac, people were saying you can't live on 30k a month anymore as everything went up. These are the same people (teflers) who were earning 25k a month when they arrived in Thailand, but suddenly their 45k jobs made them feel superior. At the end of our 2 month trip we calculated our budget and were surprised we only spent around 70k baht. I must have been doing something wrong because I remember this being my best trip of my life as we travelled all over Thailand, met people some friendly and some not so and stayed in decent and comfortable (budget) accommodations.

I am getting old myself and there is no joy or point in counting pennies. On one Canadian forum someone has asked if you are jealous of your neighbors making more than you. I replied I'd only be jealous if my neighbors are having sex more than me as in Canada everything is provided to you by the government...even the housing. Why bother....seriously. You think you will be remembered by how much money you spent? Ridiculous human "trait".

21 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Thanks, my english is getting better every day: "colourful character" is the polite way of saying "troll", or worse?

I was actually talking about the poster Maejo

But my English not great also. 

Troll or worse is probably not what i mean

He is a funny guy who comes up with some funny stuff. I never get bored of reading 555