American Sex offender’s jail sentence increased

geovalin

A 52-year-old American serving a 10-year sentence for child prostitution convictions was yesterday sentenced to a further three months in jail for drug use. Judge Im Vanak of Phnom Penh Municipal Court identified the convict as James Allan Morrow, who has served seven years of his term for purchasing sex from a child, committing indecent acts on an 11-year-old girl and illegal drug possession.

“Although he denied that he smoked drugs inside Prey Sar Prison’s Correctional Centre 1, he did not provide any evidence to show the court that he is innocent,” said Mr Vanak. “The court decided to convict him to three months and fine him $100.”

Mr Morrow was arrested by prison guards on June 28, 2016, after being caught smoking drugs inside his cell washroom while his cellmates were sleeping. “Our prison guards arrested him red-handed after he smoked drugs inside the bathroom,” said Ouk Serey Ratanak, Chief of CC1’s Prisoner Building B.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5088392/sex-offenders-jail-sentence-increased/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 31/10

“Although he denied that he smoked drugs inside Prey Sar Prison’s Correctional Centre 1, he did not provide any evidence to show the court that he is innocent,”

This is troubling. I can't prove I didn't shoot JFK. It is up to prosecution to prove guilty. That is how justice ought to work anyway....

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

“Although he denied that he smoked drugs inside Prey Sar Prison’s Correctional Centre 1, he did not provide any evidence to show the court that he is innocent,”

This is troubling. I can't prove I didn't shoot JFK. It is up to prosecution to prove guilty. That is how justice ought to work anyway....

Two uniformed guards caught him using drugs in a bathroom. Lighten up on the negativity. 

You would be guilty of shooting JFK if two uniformed guards or police witnessed you killing him and you had no evidence of innocence. 

Edited by Wake Up

4 hours ago, Emster23 said:

You're trying to blow the judge's statement up into something it isn't.  Prison guards apparently caught him.  That's evidence.  It's eye-witness evidence.  There was probably some physical evidence seized by the guards as well.  The judge is merely saying there was no rebuttal to it, nor any exculpatory evidence offered in defense - merely an unsubstantiated denial.  So in what sense did the prosecution NOT prove its case here?  I served on a jury a couple of years ago where the defendant was convicted entirely on circumstantial evidence.  ENTIRELY.  'Not a single eye-witness to his offense.  He, too, offered nothing but a simple denial.  The deliberation only took about 2 hours.  And all the guy in THIS case got was an extra 90d.  It might not have been a jury trial with all the bells & whistles we're used to in the west, and I wouldn't even dream of arguing its infallibility, but in this particular case there's just nothing "unjust" about the outcome based on the report.

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Two uniformed guards caught him using drugs in a bathroom. Lighten up on the negativity. 

You would be guilty of shooting JFK if two uniformed guards or police witnessed you killing him and you had no evidence of innocence. 

That's what they say.

How much to get two dirt poor guards to say that, $20 each?

No drug test? Hmmmmmmmmmm. 

6 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Do you see 'HOW LUCKY' we are to live in a country (like the USA) where you are 'innocent' until 'Proven Guilty.........

4 hours ago, DLang said:

That's what they say.

How much to get two dirt poor guards to say that, $20 each?

No drug test? Hmmmmmmmmmm. 

You really think Cambodia cares 40 dollars worth to set up and lie about an American pedo in their jail on a drug charge?  Who would part with the 40 bucks in Cambodia that you assume? You think they needed to pay the expense of a drug test in Cambodia for a prisoner caught for this alleged crime? 

Are you thinking or drinking or just bitching for fun?  Your first and second posts show you dont understand what you are taking about. Don’t get mad I assume you just enjoy botching even when your bitching is unsupported by the facts and reality of the situation.  Peace 

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Do you see 'HOW LUCKY' we are to live in a country (like the USA) where you are 'innocent' until 'Proven Guilty.........

I understand my luck but given the facts of this case in USA he guilty also. I don’t understand your post. He was proven guilty.  Did you read the article? Two guards caught him in the bathroom of his cell and he had no facts for his defense. 

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

I understand my luck but given the facts of this case in USA he guilty also. I don’t understand your post. He was proven guilty.  Did you read the article? Two guards caught him in the bathroom of his cell and he had no facts for his defense. 

If you read the article again you will see where he could not prove his 'innocents'......... That is what I was referring... Think a little, man........ Don't just spout out (with 'both' of your 'attack' posts) like a bottle of freshly opened champagne...

In the USA (and many 'first-world) we are considered by law to be 'Innocent till proven guilty'....As an american I can sometimes see this 'right' being abused by 'guilty' people just because the evidence has one small 'fault' or 'flaw'...... and they cannot be punished.... and they walk free......

But overall it is better to see them walk free than others convicted just because they are in North Korea or Myanmar or Thailand  (in some cases) (or so many 'rapists' in India and muslim countries).... Who walk free....

This guy being a convicted 'PEDO' and I can believe that, although in Cambodia 'WHO KNOWS'...... Let him 'rot' there....

My previous post was directed to 'the bit' where it referred to him not proving his innocence...... Not me trying to help his 'repulsive' butt................

I am 'Proud to be American', after having visited 89 different countries (probably yours) I wouldn't trade with any..... With Trump in there now I am not as proud, but It is just for 4 years, and we will recover, so I am still not ready to give up my 'Innocent till proven guilty' for anything I have seen elsewhere......

After my previous post I have had another thought on the OP........ Just think:  How hard is it to imagine that those 'guards' were the ones that sold him the 'smoke'....... I could believe that in Thailand and Cambodia is even worse..........  MY contribution.... FOOD FOR THOUGHT..........

44 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

If you read the article again you will see where he could not prove his 'innocents'......... That is what I was referring... Think a little, man........ Don't just spout out (with 'both' of your 'attack' posts) like a bottle of freshly opened champagne...

In the USA (and many 'first-world) we are considered by law to be 'Innocent till proven guilty'....As an american I can sometimes see this 'right' being abused by 'guilty' people just because the evidence has one small 'fault' or 'flaw'...... and they cannot be punished.... and they walk free......

But overall it is better to see them walk free than others convicted just because they are in North Korea or Myanmar or Thailand  (in some cases) (or so many 'rapists' in India and muslim countries).... Who walk free....

This guy being a convicted 'PEDO' and I can believe that, although in Cambodia 'WHO KNOWS'...... Let him 'rot' there....

My previous post was directed to 'the bit' where it referred to him not proving his innocence...... Not me trying to help his 'repulsive' butt................

I am 'Proud to be American', after having visited 89 different countries (probably yours) I wouldn't trade with any..... With Trump in there now I am not as proud, but It is just for 4 years, and we will recover, so I am still not ready to give up my 'Innocent till proven guilty' for anything I have seen elsewhere......

After my previous post I have had another thought on the OP........ Just think:  How hard is it to imagine that those 'guards' were the ones that sold him the 'smoke'....... I could believe that in Thailand and Cambodia is even worse..........  MY contribution.... FOOD FOR THOUGHT..........

A lot of English is not clearly stated here. True he could not prove his innocence. But that does not mean he has to prove his innocence and therefore no evidence of guilt is required. Like arguing with a horse you are. Context means something. 

38 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

A lot of English is not clearly stated here. True he could not prove his innocence. But that does not mean he has to prove his innocence and therefore no evidence of guilt is required. Like arguing with a horse you are. Context means something. 

You say, and I quote from your reply --- "But that does not mean he has to prove his innocence"

The OP said " he did not provide any evidence to show the court that he is innocent,”

You said  "and therefore no evidence of guilt is required."

Then you added an insulting bit (as if that is the same as 'being convincing'') that I was "Like arguing with a horse you are.......... From that alone I can surmise that you are quite 'accustomed' to talking with horses (and quite likely a few buffalo, as well)....... 

I still stand firm with, it is a comfort to know that 'I' won't have to prove my innocence, as the OP indicated that guy was found guilty because he couldn't prove his innocence..........

The guy has already served 7 years of a 10 year sentence in a pretty tough prison I would suppose. Back home he would be out on parole by now. But he sits there after 7 years and not even extradited back home yet. I am sure his life has been hell for these past 7 years as well. I am sure Cambodians don't like White Guys in there prison either. Or too much?

I read somewhere recently that 1 year in a prison like this is equal to 5 years back home. What he did was terribly wrong but he didn't kill anyone. He was caught filming a nude 11 year old girl. He may have done much more as he did get 10 years for this. So I agree that is terrible and bad. But give the guy a break already. He was also caught smoking some pot in prison? Big Deal! Is he the only one who was doing that there? Or the only one who got extra jail time for that? 

Sounds to me like he has been picked on enough already. I am sure if he had a lot of money his prison life there would have been a lot better. He also has 2 daughter himself which he hasn't seen in 7 years. So time to send him home to finish off his jail sentence I think. 

And why should they care if he hasn't mended his ways? When he is released he will be banned from ever coming back there anyway. I agree he deserved to be punished for his crime but I am hoping we have come a long way from when they used to put people on the Rack and Torture them, and also make them a cripple for the rest of there life, to get a confession for a crime most times they did not commit. 

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Wow so much energy used by two commenters, all over a sex perp getting 3 more months

jail sentence.

Geezer

Why did you use your energy to post about a couple commenters?????   Not a similar waste of your energy????  Why the personal 'attack'?????   THEY are not the 'Topic'..........

16 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You really think Cambodia cares 40 dollars worth to set up and lie about an American pedo in their jail on a drug charge?  Who would part with the 40 bucks in Cambodia that you assume? You think they needed to pay the expense of a drug test in Cambodia for a prisoner caught for this alleged crime? 

Are you thinking or drinking or just bitching for fun?  Your first and second posts show you dont understand what you are taking about. Don’t get mad I assume you just enjoy botching even when your bitching is unsupported by the facts and reality of the situation.  Peace 

Hopefully you'll visit South-East Asia soon, maybe get to know the cultures and societies a little bit. :smile: 

12 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

You say, and I quote from your reply --- "But that does not mean he has to prove his innocence"

The OP said " he did not provide any evidence to show the court that he is innocent,”

You said  "and therefore no evidence of guilt is required."

Then you added an insulting bit (as if that is the same as 'being convincing'') that I was "Like arguing with a horse you are.......... From that alone I can surmise that you are quite 'accustomed' to talking with horses (and quite likely a few buffalo, as well)....... 

I still stand firm with, it is a comfort to know that 'I' won't have to prove my innocence, as the OP indicated that guy was found guilty because he couldn't prove his innocence..........

You never heard the fable arguing with a horse or jack ass?  Arguing with a horse is a complement. Forgive me. 

9 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You never heard the fable arguing with a horse or jack ass?  Arguing with a horse is a complement. Forgive me. 

Never heard it..........

Somebody with warped judgement 'may' think that it could  be considered a compliment

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, sawadeeken said:

The article didn't actually "refer to him not proving his innocence" in anything other than a poorly worded (possibly due to translation or English not really being the judge's first language) statement by the judge, who did elaborate enough to let us know that there WAS eye-witness evidence against him.  I suspect there was physical evidence (drug paraphernalia, etc.) as well which simply wasn't mentioned in the article, which you seem to want to mistake for a transcript of the trial.  If you want to attack the veracity of these guards, then what you're proposing is that we should accept the word of this imprisoned pedo over theirs.   Well, no sale.  (And it wouldn't be much different in the U.S.  Try arguing your word vs that of a sworn law enforcement officer in a U.S. court without any additional evidence!) 

18 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

The article didn't actually "refer to him not proving his innocence" in anything other than a poorly worded (possibly due to translation or English not really being the judge's first language) statement by the judge, who did elaborate enough to let us know that there WAS eye-witness evidence against him.  I suspect there was physical evidence (drug paraphernalia, etc.) as well which simply wasn't mentioned in the article, which you seem to want to mistake for a transcript of the trial.  If you want to attack the veracity of these guards, then what you're proposing is that we should accept the word of this imprisoned pedo over theirs.   Well, no sale.  (And it wouldn't be much different in the U.S.  Try arguing your word vs that of a sworn law enforcement officer in a U.S. court without any additional evidence!) 

I don't think him being a Pedo has anything to do with him accused of taking drugs in prison. But him being charged for that may have something to do with his past record, as those types of criminal are not very much liked in Prison either.

But again the way I see this is that nobody can see the Forest, because of all the Trees in front of it. If all Prisoners are thoroughly check when they enter, and then locked up and can't leave the prison. If all visitors are checked and can't possibly pass anything on to a Prisoner, through the wire fence. If all packages and parcels brought in by visitors are thoroughly checked. Then I propose a question.

With all these safe guards in place, how is it possible for these drugs to get into this prison in the first place, that can be used by Prisoners? When you understand that then maybe tacking on another 3 months to a long jail sentence is perhaps not the fare thing to do. Taking away a few privileges for a little while would have been better and more fare.

I just think that handing down a additional jail sentence to a Prisoner for this is barking up the wrong tree. They should be looking at how these drugs got there in the first place. Then when caught, hitting them with a jail sentence.