Animal Sounds - As Heard By Thais......

brahmburgers

Here's a great site with kids from all over the world giving their version of what different animals sound like: bzzzpeek

There is no Thai there as yet, so anyone with Thai speaking children might want to submit theirs?

:o That is one brilliant website! Thanks :D

:D

I didn't know a water buffalo calf says; 'ayeh ayeh!' but that's exactly what I said the other day when a college boy nearly ran me over with his motorbike while coming out of nowhere on the wrong side of the street. About 20 onlookers chuckled at the alarmed noise I made when shouting at him.

speaking of water buffalo ('Kwai' in Thai), I was told this story by a Thai teacher: A farang teacher was on a break at primary school and was annoyed by all the noise in the hall, so he shouted Quiet! which came out sounding like Kwai-et! which got a raucus round of laughter from the kids - because 'kwai' is also slang for dick or <deleted>.

speaking of water buffalo ('Kwai' in Thai), I was told this story by a Thai teacher: A farang teacher was on a break at primary school and was annoyed by all the noise in the hall, so he shouted Quiet! which came out sounding like Kwai-et! which got a raucus round of laughter from the kids - because 'kwai' is also slang for dick or <deleted>.

The word is not the same as ควาย khwaai "buffalo." It is ควย khuai. The pronunciation is similar, though. And I was surprised to find it with the same meaning in the earliest Thai-English dictionary, from the 1840s. This word's been around for a while!