Best Central BKK Condos

mike888

Been browsing this forum and people are very knowledgable so would appreciate some info or recos on the below.

I'm moving to bangkok from a western country and looking for a good high end condo for a young bachelor. I own a business overseas so dont need to worry about commuting.

Im looking at asoke, phrom phong, Thong lo bts locations, trying to stay away from nana lol.

Budget is 35-45K for a 1bd and building needs to be girl friendly too. Not going to harass me for bringing girls over. High end furnishings and finishes preferred. Willing to sign a 1 year lease as I have a long visa.

Any building you guys can recommend for a western expat single male would be great, thanks a lot!

I suggest you look at condos built  between 7 and 15 years ago.  These tend to offer more space.  For example, a 1 BR may offer up to 50 Sq. M. in these buildings where the newer buildings will offer 25 Sq. M for a one bedroom.  The new buildings are overpriced and VERY small in comparison.  Newly constructed building units are now advertising sales of two bedroom, two bath units at 50 Sq.M.  These are t-i-n-y rooms.  The construction on older buildings is also superior to the newly constructed buildings.  I own a one bedroom unit in a building that went up 12 years ago.  It's a low rise building on Sukhumvit Soi 38.  The construction is excellent.  So suggest you look at older buildings before jumping into new ones with infrastructure that is already failing.

tracyb has good advice.  some of the recently completed condos have incredibly small rooms (such as the edge on sukhumvit soi 23 and lumphini 24 on sukhumvit soi 24).  you should take a look at hipflat.co.th/en.  once you pick 'rent' and 'condo', the next screen will have some filters on the left hand side.  click '1' for bdrm and choose 50-75 for size.  then you can choose which BTS you want to be near (asoke, phrom phong, thonglor).  once you have identified a few bldgs that look good, you can use this forum to get more info on the building(s).  if you are going to sign a one year lease, it might be worth asking the building directly (about the female visitors). 

Edited by buick

check hipflat.co.th  renthub.in.th , , thaiapartment.com , you can filter for prize, locaton etc. .. many available in our price class 
in the same situation as you , however just planning to pay 20k max.  :)

Edited by Austrian26

i glanced at the list that pops up for condos near asoke BTS (per my previous post).  maybe you'll like The Wind on soi 23.

i live btwn asoke and phrom phong.  no interest in thonglor.  The Wind is a bit expensive for me as i travel alot and just need a basic room to recharge before my next journey.

also, i would not enjoy living directly on asoke.  go for the smaller sois instead.  sukhumvit soi 24 is also not a great place to live.  they have some nice condos/apartments but the traffic on that soi is horrible.

Edited by buick

If you want high end furnishings, its pretty much rare. You would need to look at a budget of around 70k if you want designer furnishings.  

For your budget, space wise would be around 40-60 sqm. If space is really not a concern of yours, you can find many condos that fit within your budget.  You should contact an agent and have them show you as many condos as possible once you get here.

Common areas such as gym and pool will probably be a big factor if you have an active lifestyle, many new condos would have better facilities.

Do you need to be within walking distance? At Thonglor there are not much within walking distance.

Phrompong bts have a lot of new condos on Soi 39 and Soi 24, both great locations.

Asoke bts area not so much new condos, but a lot of old and spacious ones.

Chitlom bts area is worth a look. Some nice ones behind central chitlom department store but very limited 1 bedrooms available.

I liked the places between  Soi 16 and 24, spacious, reasonably priced but my problem is I would only spend six months a year and none would sign a six month lease. The month to month lease places were shabby to say the least..........anyone knows a nice place that is open to six month leases, I'd like to know about it, I walked for a month up & down, met with a couple dozen owners, even a few 'real estate offices'  none would entertain a six month lease in my area of choice, plenty of nice one year lease places.........thats how I wound up in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Austrian26 said:

well, do you regret it ? 

No, it is just I was kinda of forced to take second choice, it is cheaper down here than BKK,,,,,,,,but I like the big city life - I work in some of the worst shitholes in Africa for six months, so the big city is a welcome sight.  This is my first six month rotation coming up, we'll see by next year if I really like Pattaya as much then.  The Jury is still out.

8 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I suggest you look at condos built  between 7 and 15 years ago.  These tend to offer more space.  For example, a 1 BR may offer up to 50 Sq. M. in these buildings where the newer buildings will offer 25 Sq. M for a one bedroom.  The new buildings are overpriced and VERY small in comparison.  Newly constructed building units are now advertising sales of two bedroom, two bath units at 50 Sq.M.  These are t-i-n-y rooms.  The construction on older buildings is also superior to the newly constructed buildings.  I own a one bedroom unit in a building that went up 12 years ago.  It's a low rise building on Sukhumvit Soi 38.  The construction is excellent.  So suggest you look at older buildings before jumping into new ones with infrastructure that is already failing.

Thanks for the advice. Through my research I noticed the same thing. I'm looking for building built around 2010 as well because condos are bigger and cheaper (would need at least 60m/600sft)

7 hours ago, buick said:

tracyb has good advice.  some of the recently completed condos have incredibly small rooms (such as the edge on sukhumvit soi 23 and lumphini 24 on sukhumvit soi 24).  you should take a look at hipflat.co.th/en.  once you pick 'rent' and 'condo', the next screen will have some filters on the left hand side.  click '1' for bdrm and choose 50-75 for size.  then you can choose which BTS you want to be near (asoke, phrom phong, thonglor).  once you have identified a few bldgs that look good, you can use this forum to get more info on the building(s).  if you are going to sign a one year lease, it might be worth asking the building directly (about the female visitors). 

Thank you very much for your help.

I have been checking hipflat but impossible to tell which units are still avail. Most look like expired listings agents just never removed.

In terms of asking the management abotu female visitors lol. I'm talking about having 1-2 regular girls a week, I'm not a hardcore monger. Many of these girls are uni students not working girls, at this price point I would expect building management to act like a civilised country where no one really gives a shit what you do if you are discreet.

7 hours ago, buick said:

i glanced at the list that pops up for condos near asoke BTS (per my previous post).  maybe you'll like The Wind on soi 23.

i live btwn asoke and phrom phong.  no interest in thonglor.  The Wind is a bit expensive for me as i travel alot and just need a basic room to recharge before my next journey.

also, i would not enjoy living directly on asoke.  go for the smaller sois instead.  sukhumvit soi 24 is also not a great place to live.  they have some nice condos/apartments but the traffic on that soi is horrible.

Appreciate the tips I will check out that building and street.

7 hours ago, mike324 said:

If you want high end furnishings, its pretty much rare. You would need to look at a budget of around 70k if you want designer furnishings.  

For your budget, space wise would be around 40-60 sqm. If space is really not a concern of yours, you can find many condos that fit within your budget.  You should contact an agent and have them show you as many condos as possible once you get here.

Common areas such as gym and pool will probably be a big factor if you have an active lifestyle, many new condos would have better facilities.

Do you need to be within walking distance? At Thonglor there are not much within walking distance.

Phrompong bts have a lot of new condos on Soi 39 and Soi 24, both great locations.

Asoke bts area not so much new condos, but a lot of old and spacious ones.

Chitlom bts area is worth a look. Some nice ones behind central chitlom department store but very limited 1 bedrooms available.

Appreciate all your advice.

Yes I noticed most real high end/new buildings looking for 60-70K which is out of my budget. One reason to avoid chitlom/ploen chit.

I've been focusing more on between asoke and phron phong as I would like a 60-70m place around 45K max.

46 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Another: " I want to avoid Nana lol" but then again "I want to bring girl(s) back to my room w/o being harassed."

HAHA, ok.  Hey man, good luck in your search.......

LOL, believe it or not one can be into women and not want to be associated with or even go to nana.

Maybe I should have rephrased the question to condos with management who dont harass your guests when you are paying almost 50K lol.

24 minutes ago, mike888 said:

LOL, believe it or not one can be into women and not want to be associated with or even go to nana.

Maybe I should have rephrased the question to condos with management who dont harass your guests when you are paying almost 50K lol.

HA.  Well, I hear too many of the hypocritical attitudes. But, whatever way you want to try to explain.

You obviously do not know about the places here.  If you are renting with a longer term lease no place is going to bother you about bringing a girl to your room.  It is not a hotel scenario.  If you are a resident in a building it is your life I have never have or heard of anyone having a problem including me.

But, if you worry about it ask the management prior to renting.

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

HA.  Well, I hear too many of the hypocritical attitudes. But, whatever way you want to try to explain.

You obviously do not know about the places here.  If you are renting with a longer term lease no place is going to bother you about bringing a girl to your room.  It is not a hotel scenario.  If you are a resident in a building it is your life I have never have or heard of anyone having a problem including me.

But, if you worry about it ask the management prior to renting.

You're right I dont know about places here thats why I asked lol.

If places are how like you say thats fine and what I would expect.

I just got spooked by one helpful poster who mentioned his buddy moved out of millenium due to harassment of bringing in girls. This was the main building I was originally looking at.

I think I'm really looking for a higher end building with a condo board/juristic committee that are not nazis/nosey/annoying. Seems you are not even allowed to have a beer by the pool in millenium lol.

Appreciate all your helpful input.

Edited by mike888

For that price you can rent a very nice house in a closed community with pools, tenniscourts, fitness , parks and lakes, security, parkinglot and so on....just saying. And also near the skytrain/mall.

He wants hookers. And close enough to Nana to get them but not to live there although the Asoke /Nana border is pretty blurred and literary a 15 minute walk between Nana Plaza and soi cowboy ... Same same but different [emoji16]

A gated community? Lol

57 minutes ago, Thian said:

For that price you can rent a very nice house in a closed community with pools, tenniscourts, fitness , parks and lakes, security, parkinglot and so on....just saying. And also near the skytrain/mall.

Appreciate your help, I'm too young to live in a gated community lol.

One of the reasons of moving to thailand, my country is way too safe, and boring LOL

5 hours ago, mike888 said:

Appreciate your help, I'm too young to live in a gated community lol.

One of the reasons of moving to thailand, my country is way too safe, and boring LOL

Well you should have a look in one,  much better than living in a 25-50 m2 room which is the size of a bedroom only.  Also many youngsters live in them because they make babies all the time.

But if you want rentalgirls and trafficjam you should live close to Nana. At least i would look for a condo with great garden en pool...maybe even a hotel is possible for that budget.

These days you are not going to get much for 35K-45K with high quality fittings and finishings. Rents in the nice new condos around Phrompong and Thonglor run at about 800-900 baht sqm, so you would not get much in the way of space for a bachelor pad on that budget.

As someone suggested, if that is your budget i would go for older apartments or condos which would give you a little more space for your money, albeit they will not be as modern or flashy.

11 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

These days you are not going to get much for 35K-45K with high quality fittings and finishings. Rents in the nice new condos around Phrompong and Thonglor run at about 800-900 baht sqm, so you would not get much in the way of space for a bachelor pad on that budget.

As someone suggested, if that is your budget i would go for older apartments or condos which would give you a little more space for your money, albeit they will not be as modern or flashy.

Thanks for the tips I've upgraded the budget to 45-55K but only if Im in love with the unit.

I've noticed many units sitting empty for months, based on agent posts, so Im thinking its a renters market and you can negotiate, no matter what the agent says.

Just now, mike888 said:

Thanks for the tips I've upgraded the budget to 45-55K but only if Im in love with the unit.

I've noticed many units sitting empty for months, based on agent posts, so Im thinking its a renters market and you can negotiate, no matter what the agent says.

A lot of the time agents just don't update their pages, even if the unit is not available anyone interested will still make contact with them and they can try and plug other units to them.  It is a renters market, but many landlords particularity local ones are very stubborn to reduce their rent below what they perceive its rental value even if it does mean the unit is remaining vacant.

In terms of location/size/pricing, maybe try the large noble development next to Thonglor BTS. Noble Remix perhaps.

The place I am in is still on a couple of websites as being for rent even though I signed a 3 year contract 4 month ago. As said already most agents are to lazy to update their pages. If you send off an email asking to look at 10 places they will tell you 8 are already gone.

I don't like the rogue cops around Thong Lot.  Also, everything is inflated around there, including a lot of chests, both female and male.  Never heard of anyone having a problem with girls in condos (except for having to change locks).  Our sign says "socially unacceptable behavior is not allowed," so should be fine.  You can bank on then knowing who your guests are..it is a favorite pastime of condo personnel.  Mostly harmless.  Person ally, I would get off Sukhumvit with any budget...there are some great areas along MRT, and Sathorn BTS, as well.  Do you really want to be in tourist' crowds every time you leave your apartment?