Phuket shooting range ordered to close

webfact

Phuket shooting range ordered to close

Shela Riva

1509598123_1-org.jpg

Director of SAT Phuket Mr Virat (2nd from left) and Kamala Police inspect the now-closed shooting range in Kamala last year. Photo: Sports Authority of Thailand Phuket office

PHUKET: It has been confirmed today that the owner of a shooting range in Karon that opened earlier this year has been ordered to close the range immediately by the Director of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) Phuket office.

Speaking to The Phuket News today (Nov 2), SAT Director Virat Patee said, “They have been ordered to close down immediately.

“There are several reasons. First, there were many concerns raised by locals about noise and safety. People do not feel comfortable with the range being where it is,” he said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-shooting-range-ordered-to-close-64543.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-02

37 minutes ago, rebo said:

Typical case of missing brown envelopes ...

Maybe more typical  case of stupidly opening a shooting range without sufficient protection in an urban environment. The one in Kamala was ridiculous. Happy conspiracy theory though.

“However, he did not specify that he would be opening a shooting range to Karon Municipality when he applied to open a business. It was said to be an office, or something similar.

You cant sit in your aircon office all day stamping paper while hoping everyone is following the laws. Sometimes you need to get out and check.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Where is this gun range ? Article say near Lotus Tesco. Only Tesco I know is on Patak road past the gas station. I use this shop often and I never heard about a shooting range.

I think that was in reference to the Kamala range.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I think that was in reference to the Kamala range.

I don't think so. This article was clearly about a Karon shooting range. The Kamala range was closed last year.

“We had the same problem with his Kamala shooting range last year, which was also closed down for similar reasons,” he said.

Edit - obviously this guy is not 'paying' the right local officials  or has no 'influential' friends. 

Edited by LivinginKata

4 hours ago, webfact said:

ordered to close the range immediately by the Director of the Sports Authority of Thailand

SAT has court/police authority?

Unless an operating license as a sports activity was granted by SAT, SAT's recourse would be to file a complaint with RTP to shut down the facility.

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Where is this gun range ? Article say near Lotus Tesco. Only Tesco I know is on Patak road past the gas station. I use this shop often and I never heard about a shooting range.

No idea. One opened in Kata a few years back but is now closed. 

Obviously not the best marketing man if "locals" have never heard of the place.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I don't think so. This article was clearly about a Karon shooting range. The Kamala range was closed last year.

“We had the same problem with his Kamala shooting range last year, which was also closed down for similar reasons,” he said.

Edit - obviously this guy is not 'paying' the right local officials  or has no 'influential' friends. 

I think so. From the OP:

“People around the area had complained of the noise. It was near Tesco Lotus, so there were many locals walking around daily,” he said."

Clearly all about Kamala shooting range.
Edited by stevenl

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I think so. From the OP:

“People around the area had complained of the noise. It was near Tesco Lotus, so there were many locals walking around daily,” he said."

Clearly all about Kamala shooting range.

Fine by me if you think that. Clearly a very bad piece of news reporting ...

PHUKET: It has been confirmed today that the owner of a shooting range in Karon that opened earlier this year has been ordered to close the range immediately by the Director of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) Phuket office.

Clearly Karon in not the same Tambon as Kamala.  Oh well ...

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I'll ask again .... where was the shooting range that was recently closed in Tambon Karon ??

I think it must be this place which to me is closer to Nai Han than Karon.

shooting.jpg

The signage and phone number are the same as the Kamala one:

shooting 1.JPG

I had a closer look at the Phuket News video report and it seems clear to me that the gun range sign is just before a BigC sign = Kamala. I think very sloppy reporting by stating Karon and Tesco Lotus.

Old Croc - where exactly was your Google Map image taken as it's the same sign as in Kamala.  Even says Kamala shooting range.

Edited by LivinginKata

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I had a closer look at the Phuket News video report and it seems clear to me that the gun range sign is just before a BigC sign = Kamala. I think very sloppy reporting by stating Karon and Tesco Lotus.

Old Croc - where exactly was your Google Map image taken as it's the same sign as in Kamala.  Even says Kamala shooting range.

That image is on the coastal road Sai Yuan/Rawai to Kata, just after leaving Sai Yuan/Rawai on the right hand side, opposite the first elephant trekking center.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That image is on the coastal road Sai Yuan/Rawai to Kata, just after leaving Sai Yuan/Rawai on the right hand side, opposite the first elephant trekking center.

Thanks - found it now. So where is the big super market and passing pedestrians. It's a very rural area. This story smell very badly. And this is not Karon Muang. It's in Rawai. 

LivinginKata: clearly you are not the only one who's confused. As you noticed, the sign in front of the Rawai shooting range says Kamala shooting range :)

Also I've never seen people going there nor did I hear gun shots when driving by (and I do that relatively often).

To help alleviate some confusion.

The second pic I posted was a screen shot from the Phuket News video story about the closing of the Karon Range.  They obviously didn't have a shot of the Shooting Range in question so they used pics from the long closed Kamala Range.

The first pic is of the Saiyuan Rawai Shooting Range. They've reused the Kamala sign with the name and opening times altered. Presumably this is the Range now being closed. 

I can't find where the southern boundary for Karon Tambon is. Perhaps it extends nearly to Nai Harn to include this place.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

To help alleviate some confusion.

The second pic I posted was a screen shot from the Phuket News video story about the closing of the Karon Range.  They obviously didn't have a shot of the Shooting Range in question so they used pics from the long closed Kamala Range.

The first pic is of the Saiyuan Rawai Shooting Range. They've reused the Kamala sign with the name and opening times altered. Presumably this is the Range now being closed. 

I can't find where the southern boundary for Karon Tambon is. Perhaps it extends nearly to Nai Harn to include this place.

Some time ago they were resurfacing the roads. Rawai was first, Kata followed the next year. Rawai resurfaced up to almost the viewpoint.

Poorly written story.

The Kamala range has been operating as recent as last Friday. If it were closed last year, it was only a few days. I drive past that range several times a day and can assure you it has been in full operation.

The Kamala range is right next to BigC. It is on the bottom floor of a standard 2-3 story shop house. Not sure what they are using for a bullet trap/backstop.

Thursday it appeared to be closed and the operators looked like they were removing the signage on the doors. Last evening nothing else had been done, and inside looked ready for business, however the doors were closed.