Front end loader - weight capacity?

JungleBiker

Does anyone here have a front end loader and on what size tractor? 

Do you know how many kilograms it can lift? 

I am asking because I may buy some gypsum in large bags weighing 1,000kg so I need to lift them off the delivery truck and load into a spreader. 

I know I will need an attachment on the front of the loader to get the extra height but I want to check first how much weight a front end loader (of the kind available in Thailand) can lift.

A fork lift would do the job if there was a concrete pad to work on but there isn't. And I'd have to find a fork lift. 

(I'm currently in Laos not Thailand)

Thanks.

JB. 

How about a shovel loader? Quite a few round our way, the cassava collection places have them for loading the wagons, all-terrain tyres, easy lift a tonne. I don't know if a front-end bucket tractor attachment would lift 1,000kg.

FJ would know better though.

I have an FEL on my tractor. It will lift up to the weight required to lift the rear wheels off the ground. Not a good idea to try. Perhaps better to take the tractor to a weighbridge and measure weight on front and rear wheels and do some moment calc's based on the FEL offset. 

Your best bet JB would be to hire a sugar grab and try a couple of dummy bags weighing the same.

My 6610 Ford FWA with 150kg of ballast over the front will still only lift about 900kg safely on the 3 point linkage.

Not sure where in Laos you are but maybe an old logging truck might be in your area with a boom winch set up that may work.

Or to add an excavator but that would be expensive to have sitting around in between loads.

8 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Your best bet JB would be to hire a sugar grab and try a couple of dummy bags weighing the same.

My 6610 Ford FWA with 150kg of ballast over the front will still only lift about 900kg safely on the 3 point linkage.

Not sure where in Laos you are but maybe an old logging truck might be in your area with a boom winch set up that may work.

Or to add an excavator but that would be expensive to have sitting around in between loads.

Can not see a sugar grab lifting  1 ton unless you take off the grab and use slings or chains  ,the grab its self  must weigh a good half a ton ,and it only woks off the tractor hydraulics ,the Ford hydraulic pump has a good output,  Lt/min ,still think it will not lift a ton .

I go with grollies, and use a shovel loader, but as FJ  said one on hire could work out expensive. 

Another idea KS just gave me was an A frame with chain block,would be cheap enough to knock up. 

My real question to JB would be what sort of spreader is he going to use?

I don't know much about the 3pl spreaders but from experience i know chain link drive spreaders were useless for lime and gypsum applications,belt drive were very effective after setting them up which meant having a density scale for correct weight,finding right belt speed(for ground speed),back door opening gap,spinner speed and setting the right vane angles on them. 

Also adjusting driving width with the windy days As well as how to mark your track were you've been,ploughed land,foam marker,gps or drag a tyre.

So what i'm saying is set it up properly at the start or it will be a horrible mess of too much or not enough.   

The 1st time i would be inclined to buy 50kg bags,position the distance apart in the field and have local labour spread if available.

Or better still have some big fertilizer boxes made to fit on the seeder and put it where needed.

On 09/11/2017 at 11:54 PM, farmerjo said:

My real question to JB would be what sort of spreader is he going to use?

I don't know much about the 3pl spreaders but from experience i know chain link drive spreaders were useless for lime and gypsum applications.

My real answer :smile: is a Stoltzfus CU 40 http://stoltzfusspreaders.com/ground-drive-spreaders/

So I am curious to know why you think it might be useless? :shock1:

13 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

My real answer :smile: is a Stoltzfus CU 40 http://stoltzfusspreaders.com/ground-drive-spreaders/

So I am curious to know why you think it might be useless? :shock1:

No problem with that one JB,its a belt drive where msterial sits across the width of the belt and fed out the rear door.

In the earlier days spreaders were designed not with a belt but 2 x chains that dragged the material out the back and were only good for pelletised products like potash,superphosphate and urea.

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

No problem with that one JB,its a belt drive where msterial sits across the width of the belt and fed out the rear door.

In the earlier days spreaders were designed not with a belt but 2 x chains that dragged the material out the back and were only good for pelletised products like potash,superphosphate and urea.

Phew! Glad to hear it. I'll be able to sleep easy tonight! 

Archived