Sister of NY attack suspect says he may have been brainwashed; appeals to Trump

rooster59

Sister of NY attack suspect says he may have been brainwashed; appeals to Trump

640x640 (6).jpg

Sayfullo Saipov, the suspect in the New York City truck attack, is seen in this courtroom sketch appearing in Manhattan federal courtroom in a wheelchair in New York, NY, U.S., November 1, 2017. REUTERS/Jane Rosenberg

ALMATY (Reuters) - The sister of the Uzbek immigrant accused of killing eight people in New York said her brother might have been brainwashed and appealed to U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday to ensure he gets a fair trial.

Sayfullo Saipov, 29, was charged in a federal court on Wednesday with driving a rented pickup truck down a riverside bike trail, crushing pedestrians and cyclists, in support of Islamic State.

A dozen more people were injured in the city's bloodiest single attack since Sept. 11, 2001. Trump called for Saipov to receive the death penalty.

Speaking from Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan, Saipov's sister, Umida Saipova, said she hoped Trump would help ensure her brother was given "more time" and "a fair trial".

She told Reuters by telephone that she and her family had been shocked to see Saipov grow a long beard after he got married in 2013.

Umida Saipova told Radio Free Europe (RFE) that her family believed that her brother may have been brainwashed.

"We don't know who has brainwashed him," Saipova said. "Perhaps he's become part of some organised group. I don't know, honestly, how long it will take for his head to get rid of that poison, but I'm sure he will come to his senses, God willing.”

She said she had spoken to her brother the day before the attack.

"He was in a good mood. It was a usual, good conversation," she told RFE.

Saipov's mother, Mukaddas, told Reuters she last saw her son in August when she visited the United States. The attack was a "total shock" to the family, she said.

"I was shocked by the news and I have been in hospital (since then) until this afternoon," she said.

Mukaddas said Sayfullo told her in August he missed Tashkent. She wanted to bring him home, but could not do that because his youngest child was only 20 days old, she said.

Sayfullo never complained about his life in the United States and was able to support his family and help his parents at the same time, she said.

"He was kind with all of his friends," Mukaddas said.

"No, he was not religious and never visited mosques because he was always busy with studying and then working."

Trump has tweeted of Saipov: "should move fast. DEATH PENALTY!"

Umida Saipova told RFE she and her family hoped her brother would not be sentenced to death in some rushed show trial. Amid unconfirmed reports that the Uzbek authorities are questioning her family, she added that she did not know where her father and uncle were.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-04

Sayfullo won the lotto when he was given the right to live in the States.  Something denied to far better deserving people...like retirees who would be nett contributors to the economy.

Brainwashed? Was the held hostage, tortured to comply? Hardly, so he is solely responsible for his own disgusting actions.

Wake up sister and condemn what he did.

Death by lethal injection is far too good for him. 

I just want to know why a Muslim immigrant  who drives a truck down a bicycle path and kills 8 people is a terrorist but a 60 year old white guy that mows down 58 people with several automatic weapons he carefully prepared is mentally deranged.

TH

17 minutes ago, thaihome said:

I just want to know why a Muslim immigrant  who drives a truck down a bicycle path and kills 8 people is a terrorist but a 60 year old white guy that mows down 58 people with several automatic weapons he carefully prepared is mentally deranged.

TH

Purely motivation. 

The white guy had no known, or stated political aims.  The Uzbecki guy had written statements of Isis support in his truck and had wished to put Isis flags on the truck before doing the deed.

Terrorism is an act of violence or atrocity in support of, or to achieve, a stated political goal.

Keeping  your motives a secret is not the act of a terrorist because a terrorist wants his atrocity to supply his political beliefs with the oxygen of publicity and/or cow people into giving in to them.

Edited by partington

So on October 30th  sis says he was fine and dandy.   Then he kills eight people and wanted to get to the Brooklyn Bridge and if he did would have killed many more and now out of the blue sky he was brainwashed for sure !!!  I think SHE has been brainwashed or just a liar ( with a big <deleted> word in front of liar).  Where is her sympathy for the families of all the dead?? What a loser and tosser. 

59 minutes ago, dapperdan said:

tell it to the mothers and families of those slain by this vermin. Slow death by poison would be fitting. No more lottery for nasty American hating scum

Since you have proposed ignoring two bill of rights amendments you don't sound like much of believer in the constitution .?

TH

Edited by thaihome

Every day we get our brains washed with many forms of communication. Books, Newspapers TV and radio. People speaking at gatherings, churches and temples. It is what we do and react to the information, that is the factor.  Brainwashing,  being used as a defense to a crime is a lame excuse..

Geezer

My family know nothing and I don't know where my father and uncle have suddenly disappeared to. 

There's a lie right there. 

Pity those 8 people that he mowed down didn't get a fair trial. 

She'll get no sympathy from trump. It's about time this man got a bit more respect.