Is education in Thailand good?

I was raised in India, Mumbai and I originally thought I should do university here in India, but my uncle is telling me that this is a "great" opportunity, and that I should do university in Thailand (I am 17, last year of high school and then my undergraduate starts). Are universities in Thailand better? Is it better to study there or here in India?

I would suggest starting your education in your home country unless there is some compelling reason to do so in Thailand.   For example, if you have a major field of study that is particularly good at a Thai University then consider it.

Be aware that many students do change the focus of their education, so what may be of interest to you now, may not be in the ensuing years.

I'd start your education in your own country, work your butt off and get the grades along with getting any research you write or co-author published, then attempt to transfer to a school with a good reputation where your degree will actually get you a respectable job - or - take an entrepreneurial approach and start your own business.  

14 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

You won't find your answer here amongst jaded expats.

How could they know the difference between Indian vs thai university but you will get many moronic posts like that above no explanation just "go elsewhere"

My goodness - speaking of jaded.  From the horse's mouth? You know, at least try to offer some actionable advice.  :biggrin:

15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

You won't find your answer here amongst jaded expats.

How could they know the difference between Indian vs thai university but you will get many moronic posts like that above no explanation just "go elsewhere"

And your opinion is based on what? Your conversations on universities and academia down the bar?

I certainly have connections with universities in Thailand, India, the UK and US. So I do feel inclined to comment based on those experiences.

To the OP. 

There are some good universities in India, which you probably know. But, as a generalization Indian universities don't do well on educational rankings and many organizations regard Indian bachelor degrees as inferior, fairly or not.

Thailand has some very good universities, as Scott says, depending on your desired area of study. Assumption University, Bangkok University, and AIT all have big foreign student contingents. Certainly, many Asian.

Thais often look to send their children overseas though. UK, US, Canada, Australia, Japan - I know Thais who have , studied / are studying in these countries. But for each country tuition fees, living expenses, accommodation costs etc vary considerably; and there is cost variation in each country too. I know three Thai students who are on sports scholarships at different US universities. Do you have any sports skills?

What I see many people doing is the bachelor degree in their own country and then looking to do a Master's overseas. Maybe they can get sponsorship or grants?

Oh yeah, and ignore the negative Thai bashers who sadly post in between falling off bar stools!

Take time to do your research. Good luck.

39 minutes ago, recycler said:

Your uncle must be receiving a nice commission for the students that he brings in....

Education in Thailand is among the worst in the world and a degree of a Thai university will only get you people rolling over the floor laughing.

"Education in Thailand is among the worst in the world and a degree of a Thai university will only get you people rolling over the floor laughing."

Please provide referenced facts from credible sources to support your assertion.

Or we'll have to put it down to one too many Chang.

I would suggest to the OP that he ask likely employers of his graduate degree if they would consider a graduate from a Thai University. That may give a clue as to where he should do his study. 

It's not rocket science. :coffee1:

1 hour ago, naboo said:

Mahidol and Chulalongkorn have very good reputations internationally, look at their international programs.

Malaysia or China would be a better bet in terms of choice.

Did your uncle talk about the Thai women???? If so he could be 'unreliable' about the 'Universities' and just won over with the Thai ladies......

I have known so many 'Thai' people to choose higher education 'OUTSIDE' Thailand........... Universities in Thailand will surely qualify you for a secure job at any 7-11 local store (small scale low pay job)........

Many Thai people with money choose to go to UK, USA, Australia (and especially New Zealand) as well as Japan and Switzerland for real impressive 'degrees'............

SV is awash in Indian graduates who have received US working visas to fill positions in the lucrative high tech field.

A few Thai "chefs" are cooking Pad Thai in Hollywood or $10 per hour. Go to University in India unless you want to live in Thailand permanently then maybe a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

"Education in Thailand is among the worst in the world and a degree of a Thai university will only get you people rolling over the floor laughing."

Please provide referenced facts from credible sources to support your assertion.

Or we'll have to put it down to one too many Chang.

Apart from tasting Chang, is working in Thailand for 15 years, most of the time as the only foreigner among Thai academics and knowing foreigners with Thai post graduate degrees being laughed at abroad, enough to have an opinion on Thai education? Almost forgot having kids in school here too.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:44 AM, recycler said:

and knowing foreigners with Thai post graduate degrees being laughed at abroad,

Do you have any actual cases of this? I ask because I don't know a single foreign post-grad, let alone have them email me from abroad to say how their degree was "laughed at".

Archived