Sorry! This item does not ship to Thailand

connda

On 11/6/2017 at 6:48 PM, VocalNeal said:

There are many things one cannot get in Thailand. It is part of living in Asia or a foreign country. Live with it! Enjoy the palm tress and sunshine. 

Smacks of entitlement to think that all things are available everywhere.

"Smacks of entitlement...."  :glare:  ???
Honestly, you're so far off base with that tactless, patronizing statement as not to even be in the ballpark. <head shake>  Interesting statement though in a rather odd self-aggrandizing manner.

Edited by connda

3 hours ago, Dan5 said:

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon. But I have a mail forwarding service in the USA. Since I have Prime, Amazon ships it free to the mail forwarder and the mail forwarder ships it to me in Thailand. Lose a couple days on the extra shipment, but that's not such a big deal.

This solution has been mentioned a couple of times as well as the use of reshippers that I was previously unaware of.  Sounds like good, viable solutions.  Shipping time not really an issue as much as product availability, costs (overall shipping/ and avoiding bloated custom agent fees, etc), and the run-of-the-mill customs headaches in general.  This is something that I'll probably look into.  Any additional suggestions for forwarding services?

Thanks!  I greatly appreciate the constructive advice and suggestions.

Edited by connda

Firstly, I would  not buy from the USA because the shipping is always far too expensive.  Secondly, I would not buy from the USA or Amazon for reasons that are off topic here always   ; )  .  But, I do use Ebay.  Unfortunately you cannot filter out "USA" in your search on Ebay for some reason and you also have to put up with long forgotten, useless, confusing, antiquated units of measurement such as "pounds", "feet",  and "gallons"??? that 90% of the world doesnt understands anymore.  You also have to put up with a lot of misspelled English as well for some reason??

But if you go on Ebay and find a supplier who is outside the USA, and they advertise that they will 'not ship to Thailand" , I email them direct and I usually dont have a problem getting stuff sent to Thailand.  Maybe its because I have a farang name...I really dont know.  Thats my experience.

Edited by ThaiFelix

5 hours ago, hobobo said:

"I once ordered a particular type of cheese grater from the US via Amazon, it was a little pricey but it's very good and I use it all the time even after all these years."

And I thought it was a hardback edition of "Online Shopping" in Braille

They've changed a little in the last few decades, think of something like this :

5a01ac2322307_masterclass-deluxe-stainless-steel-rotary-cheese-grater-2-4242-p.thumb.jpg.6d195bcb8e62c613aa09034ecda1229f.jpg

You can probably get them in Thailand now but I couldn't find one anywhere years ago when I ordered it.

1 hour ago, connda said:

"Smacks of entitlement...."  :glare:  ???
Honestly, you're so far off base with that tactless, patronizing statement as not to even be in the ballpark. <head shake>  Interesting statement though in a rather odd self-aggrandizing manner.

Not patronising, not self-aggrandising. Just my attitude to living in a foreign country far, far away from my country of upbringing and experience.

But not everything is available everywhere.

I could complain that, say, Robertson screws are not available in Thailand or Scalextric racing sets or, or. but those are not the reason most people come here. 

Yes I know smart ass guys will come back with "You don't know the reasons people come here". 

Please continue importing stuff from home, rather than adapting or adopting. I'll get my hat...

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They've changed a little in the last few decades, think of something like this :

5a01ac2322307_masterclass-deluxe-stainless-steel-rotary-cheese-grater-2-4242-p.thumb.jpg.6d195bcb8e62c613aa09034ecda1229f.jpg

You can probably get them in Thailand now but I couldn't find one anywhere years ago when I ordered it.

Not a book than, don't need a cheese-grater. I could do some damage to myself.

4 hours ago, MJL1962 said:

Having had the same issues. 

I disagree with the comments about small suppliers not doing the shipping to Thailand.

I've found that if you send an enquiry to the supplier attach a photo that contains your direct e mail address they will contact you and ship directly cutting out Amazon.

You need to attach the photo as if you put your address in the message Amazon filters will block the message and they never get it.

The independent sellers who sell on Amazon have no control over whether Amazon ships their products internationally other than to not opt in to international shipping. But if a seller does opt in, Amazon will usually not ship the product internationally, but in a small percentage of orders they will. And Amazon will not give an explanation.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I used to do that when I had to fly back and forth on business.  But, recently retired, next time I hop the pond will probably be my last since after 60+ business trips, it's not fun any more.  And I can buy a lot of crap on Amazon for the cost of a R/T ticket and the 60+ hours I'd be in transit and days that I'd be down with jet lag.

Besides, I have no clue where my hobbies and projects and upgrades and replacements will take me in 3 or 4 months.  Putting a replacement laptop battery on my list 'o crap to haul back from the States in 6 months doesn't seem very wise when I need the laptop now.

And I'd really rather think about all the hobbies I didn't have time to pursue while I was working than polishing a barstool from dawn to dusk with an occasional break for a paid "relationship experience".

A couple inexpensive hobbies could be learning Thai and cooking Thai food with your own personal touches. I'm not retired yet but do both when here now 1/2 the year. I think the gym is a good hobby too and none of my suggestions require any purchases abroad and can take up lots of time. Biking and walking are almost free as well. Getting off the laptop is also a great thing to do. I've been off mine for 18 months but do use my I phone and I use my I pad a little.  I think Facebook is really not that great and don't use it. I can still keep up with enough people without it and I feel my life is enriched without it. I'm in my early 50's now but for some reason I still don't see myself needing stuff or crap from abroad very much. I think I should rent out my suitcase to some guys on here!  I do get your point however. 

Edited by alex8912

• 2 weeks later...