Gym workout and protein intake

Polanskiman

You wont achieve your goal with moderate exercise, anyway  you can start there. You need extra calories initially to build some muscle and fuel for energy, and then you will slowly start stripping the fat off by reducing your calories and increasing your weights, cardio and intensity etc. We are all different so there is no one size fits all, a lot of it will be tinkering with your calories and macros. Remember to rest for a week, say every 8 weeks and dont worry about the occasional drinking and eating binges, your consistency will overcome that. After 8 months you will be on 2700 calories day and working hard. You still have room to go down if you haven't achieved your goal. Im retiring to Thailand just about then so I might catch you in the gym :-) Good luck

I used the 'moderate exercise' in the TDEE calculator because that was the option that said 3-5 days exercise per week. Should I use the 'heavy exercise' as the reference for calories?

Regarding my question on the 500 calories is that the way I'm supposed to start calculating my calories intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

I used the 'moderate exercise' in the TDEE calculator because that was the option that said 3-5 days exercise per week. Should I use the 'heavy exercise' as the reference for calories?

Regarding my question on the 500 calories is that the way I'm supposed to start calculating my calories intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would just start with your plan, your Stronglifts program, 3500 calories a day and simple cardio, as I said before, set your treadmill to max elevation at 4.8km hr and walk for 30 mins, dont hold on. Month two 3400 calories a day and so on. Have a week out of the gym and re evaluate your progress after two months. The most important thing at this point is that you have established a routine, you may not notice a huge difference but in fact you have already overcome the biggest hurdle. From there it can be tweaked to advance your progress.

I notice in one of your earlier posts you have a PT? What is he/she telling you? They will be able to sort out your macros.

Edited by Jim P

Thats a great video transam, I have never seen that before but Arnie says it all. Have a goal and focus, mine is my holidays on the beach, that vision gets to me the gym when I dont want to. The oldest excuse in the book `I dont have the time` often said whilst sitting in the sofa munching a pack of Doritos  and watching the X Factor :sleepy:

52 minutes ago, Jim P said:

I would just start with your plan, your Stronglifts program, 3500 calories a day and simple cardio, as I said before, set your treadmill to max elevation at 4.8km hr and walk for 30 mins, dont hold on. Month two 3400 calories a day and so on. Have a week out of the gym and re evaluate your progress after two months. The most important thing at this point is that you have established a routine, you may not notice a huge difference but in fact you have already overcome the biggest hurdle. From there it can be tweaked to advance your progress.

I notice in one of your earlier posts you have a PT? What is he/she telling you? They will be able to sort out your macros.

Thanks for clarifying that. But honestly I can't see how to eat 3500 calories. So far today I have eaten the equivalent of ~1700k (thanks MyFitnessPall). Adding dinner and maybe another snack I'll get to ~ 2400 maybe 2600. I guess I'll have to drink a bottle of oil every night :laugh: - Kidding!

Unless you pay the top Elite/Gold/Titanium or whatever they call it PT package for 30 sessions + valued at at nice 1000++ USD, the guy doesn't care much about your food. He only tells you to do this exercise or this other and tell you to eat more. That's basically it. He has a book where he wrote my training for 2 weeks and when I asked if I could have it the answer was no... Great! Anyways I only had 7 PT sessions with him (which were included in the gym package I bought) and the last one when I told him I wanted to do the Stronglifts 5x5 he seemed skeptical. I didn't give a you know what and asked him to watch my form. He did and then told me to do the same old exercices we had done before... 

So from tomorrow on I'm on my own and will continue my Stronglifts workouts. :smile:

Edited by Polanskiman

28 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Thats a great video transam, I have never seen that before but Arnie says it all. Have a goal and focus, mine is my holidays on the beach, that vision gets to me the gym when I dont want to. The oldest excuse in the book `I dont have the time` often said whilst sitting in the sofa munching a pack of Doritos  and watching the X Factor :sleepy:

Yes that’s nice, if you haven’t seen Pumping Iron from 1977, then check it out, Arnies Mr Universe and Olympia days, it includes the other greats from that era including the original Hulk actor Lou Ferrino (spelling..?) who was also a competitor 

5 minutes ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

Yes that’s nice, if you haven’t seen Pumping Iron from 1977, then check it out, Arnies Mr Universe and Olympia days, it includes the other greats from that era including the original Hulk actor Lou Ferrino (spelling..?) who was also a competitor 

Lets not forget 5'5" Franco Columbu....

franco.jpg.4f59d79f00a92dbf0d6c7d843ebced86.jpg

46 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Thanks for clarifying that. But honestly I can't see how to eat 3500 calories. So far today I have eaten the equivalent of ~1700k (thanks MyFitnessPall). Adding dinner and maybe another snack I'll get to ~ 2400 maybe 2600. I guess I'll have to drink a bottle of oil every night :laugh: - Kidding!

Unless you pay the top Elite/Gold/Titanium or whatever they call it PT package for 30 sessions + valued at at nice 1000++ USD, the guy doesn't care much about your food. He only tells you to do this exercise or this other and tell you to eat more. That's basically it. He has a book where he wrote my training for 2 weeks and when I asked if I could have it the answer was no... Great! Anyways I only had 7 PT sessions with him (which were included in the gym package I bought) and the last one when I told him I wanted to do the Stronglifts 5x5 he seemed skeptical. I didn't give a you know what and asked him to watch my form. He did and then told me to do the same old exercices we had done before... 

So from tomorrow on I'm on my own and will continue my Stronglifts workouts. :smile:

I think you may be suffering from rabbit ears.

Most of the advice on here so far is terrible.  3500 calories??

Ridiculous and totally stupid....

Just use some common sense you are not an idiot.

So would I be, you were here asking for a spotter the other day and you haven't even begun yet! Let us know how you get on, main thing is you are making a start, just dont get injured.

If you have difficulty consuming the calories buy a blender, you can make loads of high calorie nutritious meals using that. Stop keep finding obstacles like this and early morning nutrition etc. or you will never succeed. Your calorie intake will be slowly going down. Trial and error will be the way, what suits one may not suit the other. I am speaking from my own experience because my stats are very similar to yours. I never consumed 3500 calories a day as I am 18 years older than you so have a slower metobalism and lower testosterone. But 3500 is about right for you to build some muscle before stripping the fat, so long as you work hard at it. Rome wasn't built in day.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Explain please bkk

So would I be, you were here asking for a spotter the other day and you haven't even begun yet! Let us know how you get on, main thing is you are making a start, just dont get injured.   If you have difficulty consuming the calories buy a blender, you can make loads of high calorie nutritious meals using that. Stop keep finding obstacles like this and early morning nutrition etc. or you will never succeed. Your calorie intake will be slowly going down. Trial and error will be the way, what suits one may not suit the other. I am speaking from my own experience because my stats are very similar to yours. I never consumed 3500 calories a day as I am 18 years older than you so have a slower metobalism and lower testosterone. But 3500 is about right for you to build some muscle before stripping the fat, so long as you work hard at it. Rome wasn't built in day. 

Yes I've started training 2 weeks ago but only started the Stronglifts program last Monday.

I'm not finding obstacles and I'm not sure why you see it that way. I'm simply sharing some figures and asking for advice. My next training is tomorrow and I not planning on skipping it. I guess hunger will come the more I train. :)

1 minute ago, Polanskiman said:

Yes I've started training 2 weeks ago but only started the Stronglifts program last Monday.

I'm not finding obstacles and I'm not sure why you see that way. I'm simply sharing some figures and asking for advice. My next training is tomorrow and I not planning on skipping it. I guess hunger will come the more I train. :)

Just keep it up Polandskiman, if you have to skip a session, go on eating or drinking binge dont worry about it your consistency will overcome that. I go on the beer, eat cakes etc you gotta live. As I say just start with your plan and look at it again after 2 months, I changed my diet and calorie intake numerous times to reach my goal. The naysayers never have the body to back up their negativity and neither do most people telling you how to do it.

Care to ellaborate?

Why is 3500 calories wrong?

Don't think I'm an idiot, no.

1 hour ago, transam said:

As the OP wants to lose weight and shape up I would have thought lowering calorie intake would be better as long as a high percentage of his calories are protein based.

58 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

100% has always worked for me.

Yes the increase in calories is just temporary as outlined by @Jim P. It's only meant, as I understood it, to increase energy for the intensive exercises to come. Calories are then progressively lowered by 100 calories day each month compared to previous month.

Don't worry guys I'm not a robot and do things according to what I feel is right for my body. Also, I wont force myself to eat like a pig and ingest loads of calories for the sake of it. I want this to be enjoyable, not a chore. MyFitnessPall is teaching me some good things about macros, calories and whatnot. I realised we tend to underestimate what we eat.

Peace. 

Edited by Polanskiman

5 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Yes the increase in calories is just temporary as outlined by @Jim P. It's only meant, as I understood it, to increase energy for the intensive exercises to come. Calories are then progressively lowered by 100 calories day each month compared to previous month.

Don't worry guys I'm not a robot and do things according to what I feel is right for my body. Also, I wont force myself to eat like a pig and ingest loads of calories for the sake of it. I want this to be enjoyable, not a chore. MyFitnessPall is teaching me some good things about macros, calories and whatnot. I realised we tend to underestimate what we eat.

Peace. 

Coool, when this ol' fart goes to the gym at times I walk out after 10 minutes, something tells me too, other times something tells me to load a weight that l didn't think l could do..:stoner:

My real problem is OLD tendons and ligaments, I keep tearing stuff when l "go for it", haven't been able to do any curling for about 3 months...:sad:

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Coool, when this ol' fart goes to the gym at times I walk out after 10 minutes, something tells me too, other times something tells me to load a weight that l didn't think l could do..:stoner:

My real problem is OLD tendons and ligaments, I keep tearing stuff when l "go for it", haven't been able to do any curling for about 3 months...:sad:

That is my biggest issue also.  Tendon and ligament pain especially in elbows.

Ice and anti-inflammatories help, but it seems rest is the best.

Difficult to lay off but if one continues to try to work thru it, it seems to get worse.

Back in the gym recently after elbow tendon pain for 4 months. Started working one of those hand grippers for strength.

I can curl the bar with no pain, so slow progression.

Edited by bkk6060

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Difficult to lay off but if one continues to try to work thru it, it seems to get worse.

Back in the gym recently after elbow tendon pain for 4 months. Started working one of those hand grippers for strength.

At my age I understand that I must be careful as I have no idea what condition my ol' ticker is in, but I have no dizzy stuff or getting out of breath which l suppose is a good sign. My gym stuff tells me at my age I will never be an Adonis but l just love battling myself, makes me smile....:smile:

Had some nice reads on the Stronglifts 5x5 website about food. I though I would share it with the community. Some will debunk the info, others will say how great it is...I'll leave that up to you :smile:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Eating_Too_Little

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Nutrition

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Protein

https://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

https://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-diet-muscle-gains-strength-building-fat-loss/

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If there is any pain from working out, it is most likely due to bad form (unless you have already a history if injuries, or have any impairment) or not being warmed up.

Please make sure to at least watch some videos on how to train proper.

Around 90% of the guys I see in my gym are working out the wrong way. Be it either bad form or using momentum all the time to lift too heavy weights.

Edited by wakka

6 minutes ago, wakka said:

If there is any pain from working out, it is most likely due to bad form (unless you have already a history if injuries, or have any impairment) or not being warmed up.

Please make sure to at least watch some videos on how to train proper.

Around 90% of the guys I see in my gym are working out the wrong way. Be it either bad form or using momentum all the time to lift too heavy weights.

Mine is Psoriatic Arthritis..Sadly...sad-face.gif.87bac3ba38f34518488cd40f1883ff29.gif

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Mine is Psoriatic Arthritis..Sadly...sad-face.gif.87bac3ba38f34518488cd40f1883ff29.gif

Damn, sorry to hear that.

I guess don't load to heavy then or maybe have a look at Calisthenics since it doesnt put too much stress on the joints but can yield excellent results. 

3 minutes ago, wakka said:

I guess don't load to heavy then or maybe have a look at Calisthenics since it doesnt put too much stress on the joints but can yield excellent results. 

Thankfully now it seems to be in remission, main problem is shoulder joints...So I work around it, look at the apparatus available and "think".....

It has worked out great so far, pecs, traps and triceps were my goal without the use of a bench....I succeeded, just shows if you use your loaf things maybe possible..

I am an old happy bunny....

Sadly my legs are off limits, l can live with that....To think 15 years back l had a problem getting out of bed and dressing....:stoner:

2 hours ago, wakka said:

Calisthenics is mainly what I do now, getting older so body weight stuff mainly.,As you say excellent results, easier on the joints,  need very little, if any equipment, change routines all the time so no monotony or boredom. There are outdoor gyms in BKK I think?

As for the calories, yes he will need additional good calories to build some muscle and support his routine. I assume as he hasn’t trained for such a long time his muscle score would be somewhat low. I cannot see him, neither do I know all his stats or body type. I have said one size does not fit all. He used an online calculator and added the 500 from there, 300 would be fine too, and dropping 200 a day if when he re assessed  his progress he wasn’t happy. It’s trial and error, but it’s a fatal mistake to cut calories from the off. People who do that hit a plateau, they are already starving so they can’t cut food anymore. They decide the only thing to do is more exercise which just burns the muscle, they give up and pile the weight on.

This could take him a year, I don’t know but for sure he will have to alter his training and diet numerous times.  We are all different but the basics of good diet, good exercise and good rest remain the same, you just have to find what works for you. Starting low you are limiting your options. Hope this helps

4 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Had some nice reads on the Stronglifts 5x5 website about food. I though I would share it with the community. Some will debunk the info, others will say how great it is...I'll leave that up to you :smile:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Eating_Too_Little

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Nutrition

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Protein

https://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

https://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-diet-muscle-gains-strength-building-fat-loss/

Haven’t read it all Polanskiman but their nutrition advice is pretty much what I have been saying. People are too ingrained into thinking losing weight is the priority. For a transformation it’s not.

10 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Haven’t read it all Polanskiman but their nutrition advice is pretty much what I have been saying. People are too ingrained into thinking losing weight is the priority. For a transformation it’s not.

Very interesting website indeed.

Quote from the website:

[...] Most people need at least 3000kcal/day. If you’re obese, you’ll build muscle while losing fat. But most people need to choose between building muscle or losing fat. Choose muscle first since it’s harder than losing fat. You need to lift heavy to build muscle. So eat up for proper recovery. [...]

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

Very interesting website indeed.

Quote from the website:

Yep it goes against what most think and why most fail. Eventually your muscle will grow to meet your fat coming down and bingo. I got the result I wanted doing just that.

The pre bed cottage cheese and berries they detail is one meal I often have with a scoop of peanut butter, nice.