Bringing 27inch iMac on airplane with me???

321Rich

I am contemplating buying the shipping container listed below to bring my 27 inch Retina iMac to Thailand (onboard the plane)…the price tags is a whopping $655.00 USD!!! Once the custom case is in Chiang Mai, then it will have fulfilled its usefulness to me and I would try to sell the case to recover some of the initial cost. 
    Just wondering if anyone else has successfully traveled with a 27 inch iMac to Thailand and how you solved this shipping problem. Thanks in advance for any useful insights.

Tenba Transport Computer Equipment Air Case for 27in Apple iMac with Wheels

(634-725) by Tenba

Not the same thing, but I had zero issues bringing a 40" smart TV from BKK to China in its original box.  In fact, I taped 2 original boxes together and filled the other one with my clothes and checked it at in at around 18 kg to stay under the 20 kg, one bag free baggage limit.  (After my WP expired, I found myself with too many TVs in Thailand and not enough in China)  Flying from the USA, you'll probably have a much more liberal baggage allowance.

I also see a lot of foreigners arriving in BKK (and flying out) with big screen TVs in their original (often unopened) boxes.  Seems the price discrepancy around the world makes them appealing gift items.  And I suspect some are offsetting part of their plane ticket by smuggling for resale...

Personally, I wouldn't spend the big bucks on the case if I could find an adequate cardboard box and some bubble wrap or even blankets.  In spite of the horror stories I always read about luggage handlers, I (knock on wood) have never had any damage in around 60 round trips across the pond, nor on hundreds of shorter hops.  Still, I'd back up the important data- but that's good advice even if the thing sits on your desk.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the cost difference between what you('d) pay there-versus selling it and buying one in Thailand that much as to make what you contemplating worthwhile?  

I've bought, through the Apple/th online store, a MBP, Airport Express and iPad, shipped to my condo and the price differences from homeland were "manageable".   
BTW... this does not apply to the iPhone.

I transported a 28 inch computer monitor in its original packaging as checked oversize luggage. No problems whatsoever. No need for a special container IMO.

But if you got an IMac, seems you like to spend dosh anyway, so go for it :-)

OP UPDATE: The original shipping box suffered an untimely death by the hands of my clean up lady. As a results I found this new custom padded container that I will bring as baggage on the airplane. Notice the price — never thought I would pay more than 100 dollars for an empty box!

box.jpg

Archived