'Rude and xenophobic' Gloucester restaurant customers eat entire Thai meal then refuse to pay telling staff to "learn English laws"

webfact

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I consider staff ignoring a customer because they are racist is rather more severe than being a bit "juvenile".

That is just his opinion that they dont like him because they "are racist"

Maybe he treats the waitresses like pattaya bar girls ?

Maybe he doesnt shower everyday ?

Maybe the waitresses cannot speak English ? 

Maybe hes rude and puts his feet on the chairs ?

Could be any number of reasons why they dont like him

Put your feet up so the soles of your shoes are exposed to the staff, so they get the message.

I never ate at any Thai restaurant in London as the prices were extortionate. In China Town they wanted a pound per satay stick, which would be stupidity to pay, given I could buy at least 12 here for the same price.

On the street maybe, but an aircon restaurant in BKK could be that sort of price.

10 hours ago, cmsally said:

They did not pay 8 pounds 50p , presumably the cost of the chewy fish cakes.

Then go to the newspapers for that amount !

But they ate ALL the food so that means there was nothing wrong with the food.The same would apply in the UK 

You pay for what you eat 

41 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I do not recall many Thai jails in Gloucester. :sick:

There are, in Thailand, when they visit.

Your beliefs become your thoughts, 
Your thoughts become your words, 
Your words become your actions, 
Your actions become your habits, 
Your habits become your values, 
Your values become your destiny.

14 hours ago, cmsally said:

They did not pay 8 pounds 50p , presumably the cost of the chewy fish cakes.

Then go to the newspapers for that amount !

That's not what the news story said. She offered to pay 60 pounds of a bill of 68.50. When things escalated and the manager called the police then they legged it without paying anything.

The police will be more interested in the xenophobic remarks. I can't speak for Gloucestershire Police but neighboring West Mercia police have a special unit to deal with racist xenophobic verbal and physical assaults. Complaints are taken very seriously and always followed up. If the couple are identified then they will be visited by the police. Leaving the restaurant without paying is an offence. Abusing someone racially is also one.

10 hours ago, trogers said:

There are, in Thailand, when they visit.

Your beliefs become your thoughts, 
Your thoughts become your words, 
Your words become your actions, 
Your actions become your habits, 
Your habits become your values, 
Your values become your destiny.

Where did you get any notion that they ever visit Thailand? And what would Thai jails have to do with an event that took place in Gloucester?

3 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Where did you get any notion that they ever visit Thailand? And what would Thai jails have to do with an event that took place in Gloucester?

Their habits and values would lead them to their destinies. It's also called 'Karma'.

This is a difficult one.  He must have, perhaps inadvertently, done something wrong.  I used to run a Thai cuisine restaurant and I had Thai staff working for me.  If ever there was any doubt about a socio-cultural event the staff would always come and ask my advice first and then I would explain the customers side to them and then go and explain their side to the customer.  There is more to this story I believe..

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Their habits and values would lead them to their destinies. It's also called 'Karma'.

No such thing. Idi Amin, Stalin and Mao lived out their lives and had ( far as we know ) non violent deaths.

I certainly don't believe that any supernatural force will see those errant customers getting the comeuppance they deserve.

On 07/11/2017 at 1:50 AM, oxo1947 said:

They offered to pay  £60 of the £68.50 bill. ....which is a little different from the Daily Mirror headline--- 

They did not even pay that.

The restaurant handed over CCTV footage to the police, would get better results putting it on YouTube...

It is only a criminal offence if it can be proven they had no intention of paying in the first place. 

They did not even pay that.

The restaurant handed over CCTV footage to the police, would get better results putting it on YouTube...

It is only a criminal offence if it can be proven they had no intention of paying in the first place. 

So if you had the intent to pay when you walked in but then, during the course of your meal, decided to dine-n-dash that's all fine and dandy? Huh?

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

So if you had the intent to pay when you walked in but then, during the course of your meal, decided to dine-n-dash that's all fine and dandy? Huh?

No, it is a civil matter, they need to make a legal claim.

The UK legal system is split in to many divisions, but most are either criminal where the Crown prosecutes and defendants may end up in prison or fined or civil where someone makes a claim for unpaid bills or damages.

In the UK the police do not get involved in civil actions.

Very difficult if they refused to give their names and addresses, but there again refusing or giving a false name and address is a clear intent not to pay so a criminal action.  

Edited by Basil B

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

No, it is a civil matter, they need to make a legal claim.

The UK legal system is split in to many divisions, but most are either criminal where the Crown prosecutes and defendants may end up in prison or fined or civil where someone makes a claim for unpaid bills or damages.

Very difficult if they refused to give their names and addresses, but there again refusing or giving a false name and address is a clear intent not to pay so a criminal action.  

This article seems to indicate that "dine-n-dash" IS a CRIME in the UK.

Edited by mikebike
sp

On 11/7/2017 at 8:50 AM, oxo1947 said:

They offered to pay  £60 of the £68.50 bill. ....which is a little different from the Daily Mirror headline--- 

This is what was in the Mirror's article which is exactly as the headline stated..."The owner then called the police, but as soon as the operator picked up the couple fled without paying any money towards the bill".

9 minutes ago, mikebike said:

This article seems to indicate that "dine-n-dash" IS a CRIME in the UK.

It indicates that they were disputing the bill, but there again it was said she offered £60 then may have dashed. police will have to look at the CCTV but highly unlikely they can hear the conversations, a criminal prosecution would need to prove intent. if they say they had just found out they had left their credit cards at home and would call by in the next few days to settle the bill then even though it is clear to us they had no intention to pay, for a court prosecution  the words "beyond reasonable doubt" come into play.

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

It indicates that they were disputing the bill, but there again it was said she offered £60 then may have dashed. police will have to look at the CCTV but highly unlikely they can hear the conversations, a criminal prosecution would need to prove intent. if they say they had just found out they had left their credit cards at home and would call by in the next few days to settle the bill then even though it is clear to us they had no intention to pay, for a court prosecution  the words "beyond reasonable doubt" come into play.

I was referring to the article which I linked. It has nothing to do with the Gloucester Thai restaurant. It is an article about the crime of dine and dash in the UK.

Not only satisfied in being disgusting cheats...they were above all rude and xenophobic...I think the soi dogs in Thailand are more worthy then such customers...

Interesting and alarming nevertheless how some posts here are trying to side by the cheats...

How would you react if any business in general gave you back only say 90% of the change they owe you and pocket the remaining 10% for no reason  ? ?

Edited by observer90210

38 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Not only satisfied in being disgusting cheats...they were above all rude and xenophobic...I think the soi dogs in Thailand are more worthy then such customers...

Interesting and alarming nevertheless how some posts here are trying to side by the cheats...

How would you react if any business in general gave you back only say 90% of the change they owe you and pocket the remaining 10% for no reason  ? ?

They are those living the philosophy of 'Do as I say, and not as I do!'.

On 07/11/2017 at 2:39 AM, ravip said:

The much talked about 'quality' people in an equally  'quality' country!

you need to be careful making a judgement on an entire people and country on the behaviour of two individuals as you end up looking quite a bit less than the sharpest knife in the drawer. on the plus side you'll fit right in here... :welcomeani:

On 11/7/2017 at 2:47 AM, Old Croc said:

This is about common thieves stealing meals from a restaurant. Hope the police soon round them up and charge them.

The only comparison between the countries is the fact that a Thai meal in the UK costing an incredible 68 pounds could be had here for a fraction of the price.

I think it's more to do with the young generation feeling entitled to things.  

It seems to me that the couple were probably quite hungry and wolfed down the fishcakes quickly.

The fishcakes were probably small and, going by the total bill, probably expensive.

I imagine, at that stage, the couple both felt unsatisfied, almost cheated, and tried to "negotiate" leaving the restaurant without paying.

They might have felt that walking-out would send a clear signal of their dining-experience to the restaurant staff/owners.

Obviously they did order main courses, further; telling the staff they'd pay for their main courses.

I imagine they did this for two reasons.

(1) They didn't want to appear as cheapskates. Appearing as cheapskates would have diluted their clear signal of dissatisfaction about the small and expensive starters.

(2) They were still hungry. In ordering mains they were being allegiant to own their argument about the small and unsatisfying fishcakes!

At this stage, from the customers point of view, the staff might have floundered and offered the starters "on the house"...

However, the staff didn't make such an offer. The customers might have felt the lack of any outreach in finding a comprise was most irregular. It's at this stage the seeds of the "culture clash" were probably sown.

The customers had no choice but to "chow down" on their mains and probably felt as if they were being made to eat humble pie.

The seeds of the "culture clash" had grown, via the phantom "humble pie" into a venomous plant. Now the battle ground was set.

The customers, in polishing off their plates, only believed they were arming themselves with righteousness.

What! were they to falsely appear as customers who didn't really have healthy appetites to satisfy?

Grasping the sword of their unresolved indignation they took the position, after considering the well priced mains, that they wouldn't be paying 100% of the bill total. The owner didn't accept this.

Quoting http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rude-xenophobic-restaurant-customers-eat-11474643

The owner then called the police, but as soon as the operator picked up the couple fled without paying any money towards the bill.

“The woman had told other customers we were rude, but those customers came and gave me a hug afterwards,” Ms Manmaunjun said.