HOLIDAY TRAGEDY Manchester grandad Shaun Walley electrocuted ‘by cheap Thailand hotel’s HANDRAIL’ as family fight to raise £10,000 to bring body home

snoop1130

2 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

Sadly I see many distasteful and offensive posts still live. Compassion and empathy are words so unknown to many members of this forum, and sadly for most of human kind.

Of course, it's always sad when someone's beloved relative dies, it evokes our sympathy, but does it mean we should put our critical faculties in abeyance? It's worth repeating that there's a big hole in this story:

"Ramona received a phone call from a member of staff at the hotel on the day he passed away to tell her about her father's death."

"But, she says it wasn't until a week and a half later that she found out exactly what had happened after speaking with one of his friends in Thailand."

Hotel staff, friends - so where was the British Embassy in all this?

"In Thailand it is necessary to report any death to the police within 24 hours. This is the case even if the death is expected such as after an illness or accident. The police are then responsible for contacting the appropriate Embassy. Next of kin, if the person who has died is not in Thailand with family, will be notified by the Embassy. The cause of death will have to be determined by the Examining Magistrate so the body will be sent to their department for examination." 

Incidentally, as has been mentioned and assuming this is a genuine appeal, funds are being raised not only to cover return of the body but also belongings, the cost of the UK funeral, and associated solicitor's fees:

"The family need £10,000 to cover the costs of bringing Shaun back to the UK, to bring his belongings back, to cover funeral costs and solicitor fees."

The guy was 67, people in their 60s die every day in the UK, should they all have their funerals crowd-funded? And what's so important about his belongings? Presumably we're not talking a few sentimental items if it needs to be crowd-funded.

The return of the body is, I agree, an exceptional cost. I can just about accept that for some people a proper funeral, with the body present, might be a necessary part of the grieving process; personally I'd go with return of the ashes, and I'm not convinced returning bodies, when the ashes option is available, is a proper subject for crowd-funding.

Which brings me on to my final point, the slew of crowd-funding appeals these days is quickly devaluing the whole medium, and my fear is that some really deserving causes are going to get missed. Crowd-funding, in my view, should be reserved for real emergencies where all other financial options - savings, loans, second mortgages and the like, have been exhausted, not a first port of call; one is left with a suspicion that for some people their concern for their own financial status, or maybe their inheritance, is prompting these appeals and not dire need.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, kratiam said:

Why doesn't the hotel have public liability insurance?  They should be closed by the Thai authorities. 

This is Thailand, even the government say they are trying not to be 3rd world within the next 20 yrs

Many hospitals have no indemnity insurance, yet alone Guest Houses

If you have no insurance and can not pay in reality it is irresponsible to travel

If you choose to that is your right but when things go wrong DO NOT COMPLAIN, look in the mirror and you will see who is responsible

15 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Another go fund me from a family that does not work? Own homes or cars they can get money from? R.I.P sad thing to happen. Spending other peoples money is much better than spending your own I guess. This poor guy worked his whole life for his family, and no one wants to step up and do the right thing for him. 

maybe you can donate then?

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

There seems to be no point in earthing individual outlets as the devices are not made to be earthed.  In the condotel complex I live in 700 units nothing is earthed. 

Not entirely true. The hotel I'm in has all earthed power points and better quality appliances come with 3 point plugs

However, a problem that can occur is that some older appliances have a different type of earthed plug that does not fit the normal power points and require a special adaptor to be used.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

The 'electrician's' liable to the hotel. The hotel is obviously liable to their guests.

That may apply in your country, but I doubt it would apply in a court in LOS.

Tell me if there is in fact a law as to liability, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to look about that.

8 hours ago, al007 said:

For me I have a Thai donor card already in place, no funeral costs

I'd be interested to know more about a Thai donor card if you'd be prepared to post the details?

I've been looking into this in the past, not been easy as Thais seem to think a funeral is always the way to go.

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'd be interested to know more about a Thai donor card if you'd be prepared to post the details?

I've been looking into this in the past, not been easy as Thais seem to think a funeral is always the way to go.

See my post 87 on this thread

Basically go to ChulaLongkorn ten mins to get card if you have pink Thai ID as given to foreigners

Nice office just near main entrance

in Bangkok they will collect the body, out side you have to get it to them quickly, also Srinarakin KhonKaen  University accepts body for medical science

In Thailand this is a highly considered thing to do

I think the clue that this is a scam is in the ‘alleged’ victims name ‘Wally’.

wally A wally is infact someone who is very intelligent in some areas but very stupid (almost unbelievably) in others, eg such as clumsiness. E.g. You spilt your drink all over my bedside table you wally.   This definition covers the people creating the scam and those who fall for it.

"Wally" is a shortened familiar of "Walter", a name rarely used today but quite popular 67 years ago.

How about "Blinky"?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That may apply in your country, but I doubt it would apply in a court in LOS.

Tell me if there is in fact a law as to liability, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to look about that.

Negligence in my experience " Is the omission to do what any person is required to do in any circumstance".  simple!!

5 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

Another life lost through carelessness, it could have been anyone. Heading back for the winter break next week and it would seem I now have to pack a circuit test screwdriver !

No just make sure if you are testing to see if a wire is live make sure you hand is turned so that you reflexes will push it away from the source like the back of your hand.  Do not have your hand so that your reflexes will grab the wire.  1st lesson at 1st year electricians school.

if and i mean if all this is true the hotel should be closed the owner charged with murder the building sold and the money given to this family... if nothing happens,  like the usual thai style, there is no motivation to repair the faulty electric and soon other's will die.. also other hotels will be activly encouraged not to do any repairs. a wai and the idiots smile is enough

8 hours ago, Oxx said:

And (as usual) insurance companies will try to find any possible excuse not to pay.

Why do posters keep repeating this laughably untrue assertion?

If a claim is straightforward and all the policy conditions are met insurance companies will always pay up without dispute.  Insurers rely on new customers to buy their policies and to "try to find any possible excuse not to pay" is not only a bad business model from a reputation point of view, it doesn't happen.

If there is something odd about a claim it will be investigated, as well it should be.

7 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

I would not pay that anyway not much good if you live here.

Also if you check fined print you might see nearly every possible cause of any incident in another country is not covered.

Then next you have problem they will say they wont cover your hospital bill as your hospital is  "not on their list"

I cant remember detail but someone report on here a while ago, some travel insurance have a big promotion that they cover motorbike, but in the fine print it exclude any bike over 80cc.

To me it is throwing away money if you dont claim and if you do they will make you crawl through the hot coals of hell to get anything back

Total scumbags if you ask me  

Reading the policy conditions is the very simple answer, not reading them and then making a claim for something that is not covered is daft.

22 minutes ago, David Walden said:

No just make sure if you are testing to see if a wire is live make sure you hand is turned so that you reflexes will push it away from the source like the back of your hand.  Do not have your hand so that your reflexes will grab the wire.  1st lesson at 1st year electricians school.

Excellent advice at last.  I follow this method all the time in Thailand, and often in Oz. And I cannot believe that so many people do not know this simple method - if you touch live electric current, it will make your muscles tighten - use the back of the hand. Same when offering your hand to a dog to smell it - only the back so you can pull away if it snaps at you. But never offer the hand to a dog in Thailand - rabies (et al) is too big a risk. 

Until you read the fint print and are over 60.

I’ll call BS on that.

Only $AU801.00 for 12 months medical cover for a 67yo travelling Thailand with no “pre-existings”.

Takes about 2 minutes online to complete the application and to be instantly covered.

Like I say..... VERY EASY (1cover.com.au)

I now look forward to YOU backing up your claim about the additional “fine print” that applies to someone aged 67 as opposed to someone aged 59.

IMG_1560.PNG

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That presumes that the account given by the family in the UK newspaper report is truthful and accurate.

And as we found out the other day with the fake mugging victim and their funding appeal, such accounts are sometimes just lies and a scam.

Was that the British holidaymaker mugged and getting multiple leg fractures while waiting for his wife outside a bar?  That turned out to be a scam?

17 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Excellent advice at last.  I follow this method all the time in Thailand, and often in Oz. And I cannot believe that so many people do not know this simple method - if you touch live electric current, it will make your muscles tighten - use the back of the hand. Same when offering your hand to a dog to smell it - only the back so you can pull away if it snaps at you. But never offer the hand to a dog in Thailand - rabies (et al) is too big a risk. 

I cannot believe people who own a test screwdriver would touch any live wire. 

7 hours ago, Kiwithai32 said:

A few things about this unfortunate incident are raising alarm bells

1. She was notified of the death by a hotel staff. Usually this is done by the embassy due to the sensitivity of the situation

2. Uncommon for an elderly man to be traveling without insurance

3. All 6 of his children cannot pull any money together and they're asking the public for 10k

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4. Use a stock photo and throw a baby in.

20 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

I assume you are refering to Hotel liability insurance !

No I am not.

I am referring to the responsibility of the individual to adequately cover themselves....

This is not the West.

And....as far as I am aware, hotel liability insurance...whilst desireable., is not compulsory, and can lead to large claims against the establishment.....

3 minutes ago, imaderbyfan said:

No I am not.

I am referring to the responsibility of the individual to adequately cover themselves....

This is not the West.

And....as far as I am aware, hotel liability insurance...whilst desireable., is not compulsory, and can lead to large claims against the establishment.....

Ahh so it is the Tourist who is at fault for not having dead body return insurance

Not the hotel which caused the accident.   Is this Thai law or Thai cultural expectations ?   Fascinating either way.

10 minutes ago, imaderbyfan said:

No I am not.

This is not the West.

I doubt any Western based insurance company would take on any client for public risk insurance in Thailand.  You would go broke.