Bangkok ranks as second-most visited city

snoop1130

Bangkok ranks as second-most visited city

By The Nation

62d1e7ee0bad906d91d383a537c49eca.jpeg

Bangkok this year has become the second-most visited city in the world after Hong Kong, according to Euromonitor International’s report released yesterday.

In its “Top 100 City Destinations Ranking 2017” Edition at the World Travel Market London, the report highlighted how future travel trends depend on opportunities and challenges facing cities.

Bangkok (21.2 million visitors) beat London (19.2 million), which is ranked third followed by Singapore (16.6 million), Macau (15.4 million), Dubai (14.9 million), Paris (14.4 million), New York (12.7 million), Shenzhen (12.6 million) and Kuala Lumpur (12.3 million).

According to the report, Asian cities dominated the global destination rankings due to the rise of Chinese outbound tourism. Bangkok beat London again after overtaking it in 2015.

Wouter Geerts, senior travel analyst at Euromonitor International, said: “Asia-Pacific is the standout region driving change in travel. We expect the region to continue growing in the coming decade with Singapore overtaking London as the third most visited city in the world by 2025, giving the podium fully to Asia.”

Meanwhile, the performance of European cities has been hampered by the euro-zone and migrant crises, Brexit and terrorist attacks. Despite uncertainty, European destinations, in particular Greece, Italy and Spain, have profited from unrest in the Middle East and North Africa.

Performance in the Middle East region has fluctuated greatly in recent years, with Euromonitor data forecasting a recovery for the region in 2017 and beyond. The main challenges remain wars and border disputes.

According to Euromonitor International’s Travel Forecast Model, if the US drops out of Nafta and imposes a 35-per-cent tariff on Mexican imports, followed by Mexican retaliation, the impact on inter-regional travel would be considerable. New York, the most visited city in America and the only US city in the top-10 most-visited cities, has revised its 2017 forecast, expecting a potential fall of 300,000 visitors as a worst-case scenario.

The report highlighted why some cities were performing better than others and how emerging trends were going to reshape the travel industry and disrupt the ranking through 2025, Geerts said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331140

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-8

All we need now is all the Haters to come out and tell us that the Euromonitor International is also in on this world conspiracy to pretend people like to come to Thailand....even though some of them came and made it their permanent home...

Actually it's not the 2nd most visited city in the world. Those number are completely wrong. New York gets over 60 million tourists and Las Vegas gets over 40 million visitors per year,. And I think Paris even more than New York......whoever writes this ? It is fake news. And no sanuk711, I'm not a hater. 

Edited by Time Traveller

1 minute ago, Time Traveller said:

And no sanuk711, I'm not a hater. 

I am sure your not TT...but you may be getting mixed up with Visitors and transit.... Heathrow is one of (if not the) busiest airports in the world & its numbers are huge but a lot of it is transit, flying into London to get to places in Europe that do not have the capacity to handle the 380s or other very large type Aircraft. Also most Euro county's have a lot of overseas flights going into smaller regional airports Glasgow/Manchester etc....Thailand does not have much of this, so everything has to come through BKK...also people leaving  from different local countries to other destinations from Vietnam/Laos/Burma etc have to first go to either Singapore or BKK to get the international flight, in BKK this usually involves, coming into one airport transferring (passing Immigration)  to go to the other airport. Where as Singapore etc stay at same airport.  Remember the report isn't about tourist to the country --they have already stated in an earlier report that Thailand is not top for that....but just for people coming into the City of Bangkok.

5 minutes ago, TomAikins said:

You're right. No idea where this crap came from.

Its already stated where it comes from---the Euromonitor International’s --the European based organisation that monitors all world wide movement of air passengers.

Which bar did Tommy Aikins get his information from........:omfg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Thailand is 9th in the 'World Tourism Rankings'.... 

The reason Bangkok is up there quite likely has much to do with the fact that the majority of Thailands tourist arrivals travel through Bangkok. Bangkok is also a major South East Asian Hub along with Hong Kong and Singapore who also score incredibly highly on Tourist Arrivals. 

Whichever statistic we choose to look at they all show that Thailand is 'up there' always close to the 'top' in the list of tourist destinations. It would be good to see Thailand looking after its tourist better.

An example at hand is India - the Majority of people visit India as a tourist once, the reasons are clear. However, with Thailand visitors are often repeat visitors and taking steps to ensure all visitors want a repeat visitor should be of key importance.

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reason Bangkok is up there quite likely has much to do with the fact that the majority of Thailands tourist arrivals travel through Bangkok.

That's correct Richard, and the fact that people fly into Don Muang from outside smaller countries, as written and then they have to pass immigration to get to the Swampy airport. This does put the figures up...doesn't mean there is a plot, or its a conspiracy. This isn't TAT doing the figures. I think Singapore is still a bigger hub for travel.

But do acknowledge the gains Thailand has made---when I first came here departure was sometimes delayed while the golfers who shared the airport played through--not a joke--fact.

just found this:

Paris has once again scooped the top spot as the most popular tourist destination in the world.

Some 32.3 million people visited France's City Of Light in 2013, with the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and Notre-Dame Cathedral all huge draws

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2578198/Paris-named-tourist-destination-world.html

I always was aware that  Paris alone drew more tourists than the the whole of Thailand would, in one year.

okay this were the 2013 numbers. . .but . . .

another source says for 2016, that despite the terror attacks, Paris was back to 16,3 million tourists in the first half year (!!!)  

so WHO came up with this survey??

Edited by crazygreg44

11 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I am sure your not TT...but you may be getting mixed up with Visitors and transit.... Heathrow is one of (if not the) busiest airports in the world & its numbers are huge but a lot of it is transit, flying into London to get to places in Europe that do not have the capacity to handle the 380s or other very large type Aircraft. Also most Euro county's have a lot of overseas flights going into smaller regional airports Glasgow/Manchester etc....Thailand does not have much of this, so everything has to come through BKK...also people leaving  from different local countries to other destinations from Vietnam/Laos/Burma etc have to first go to either Singapore or BKK to get the international flight, in BKK this usually involves, coming into one airport transferring (passing Immigration)  to go to the other airport. Where as Singapore etc stay at same airport.  Remember the report isn't about tourist to the country --they have already stated in an earlier report that Thailand is not top for that....but just for people coming into the City of Bangkok.

Yep my thoughts exactly

9 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Some 32.3 million people visited France's City Of Light in 2013,

Thanks for the 4 year old link CrazyGreg--- I can take it from UK address of that link that you dont live in Thailand. People will find it difficult to access.

OK so Its four years out of date--but that's an improvement here, as most people that slag off Thailand usually just repeat a fantasy--"what they want to believe", or what the guy on the next bar stall has told them.--(so it must be right)

Yes 4 years ago Paris was the top spot--funny no one thought that was a con job.

So you finish your post with

9 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

another source says for 2016

What other source CrazyGreg..??????  Love to see the one that isn't 4 years old

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Who writes this crap just use the internet and you will see the truth

You use it for us Wakeupplease...... Show us all what a great world conspiracy we are living under here.

Any credible link will do....Then we will all just have to shut... or ..Vice Versa

9 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

What other source CrazyGreg..??????  Love to see the one that isn't 4 years old

I live in Thailand!  I do not know your problem of being unable to open these links. I post this from my living place in Thailand!

What is the internet for you? If you only take your time and search & compare, you need not to post any ridiculous questions to me. 

So I  have dug up for you a few more links that are less out of date, which show 2016 and 2017 figures

http://en.rfi.fr/france/20170221-paris-and-its-region-have-lost-15m-tourists-2016

“Paris remains the top tourist destination in the world” :

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/paris-tourist-numbers-drop-franch-terror-attacks-further-charlie-hebdo-bataclan-shooting-isis-a7592836.html

a 30 August 2017 figure:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/paris/articles/visitor-figures-hit-ten-year-high-in-paris-as-tourists-defy-terrorism-and-trump/

Figures released this week by the Regional Tourism Authority (CRT) for the first half of 2017 suggest Paris and the surrounding  Île-de-France region are on course to hit a ten-year tourism high

Hoteliers in the Paris region registered 16 million guests for the first half of this year – the highest number for the same period in the past decade – while visitors to the city and Île-de-France region rose by 14.6 per cent.

for France it was 83 million tourists:

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/economic-diplomacy-foreign-trade/facts-about-france/one-figure-one-fact/article/france-the-world-s-leading-tourist

Paris rank in overnights figures compared to European Cities:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/314340/leading-european-city-tourism-destinations-by-number-of-bednights/

As you can see, even LONDON tops that!

Edited by crazygreg44

while Bangkok is a busy city, I would rather side with some of the posters who think that TAT numbers don't fit . .  . . . . have ever fit . . . . .are mastered only by crooked statistics 

While Bangkok is the main gate of entry for tourists who visit Thailand,  i don't doubt a number in the 25-30 million range.   However they don't arrive for Bangkok only, they travel on to the beach destinations. Contrary to this, Paris visitors come for Paris and these are in the 30+ million range. And we can see that France attracts 83 million foreign tourists, a number Thailand will never reach

Edited by crazygreg44

9 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

You use it for us Wakeupplease...... Show us all what a great world conspiracy we are living under here.

Any credible link will do....Then we will all just have to shut... or ..Vice Versa

why don't you use the internet and compare?

I don't look up conspiracy sites, as they can easily be sorted, among them TAT statistics :smile:

Edited by crazygreg44

2 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

why don't you use the internet and compare?

I have posted so many CrazyGreg...the report is from the internet......oh your the guy with the 4 year old internet link like showing BKK wasn't top 4 years ago.....:wub:.. I take it that other "Secret up to date Source"  you have has disappeared......just amazing CrazyG

2 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I have posted so many CrazyGreg...the report is from the internet......oh your the guy with the 4 year old internet link like showing BKK wasn't top 4 years ago.....:wub:.. I take it that other "Secret up to date Source"  you have has disappeared......just amazing CrazyG

Did you read post Number 17 ??

I have posted FIVE links

all very up-to-date ( 2016 and 2017 )

Edited by crazygreg44

22 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

but you may be getting mixed up with Visitors and transit.

Post #5

Yes I read that post CrazyG what is the point they keep saying that it isn't a tourist report--isn't tourist numbers---and you keep coming back with either tourist or 4 year old reports. You must have had some difficulties at school CrazyG....did you use to put in a maths test paper to the English master ?

The only other thing you just keep completely ignoring is THIS ISN'T T.A.T

How many times do they have to print that.

12 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Post #5

Yes I read that post CrazyG what is the point they keep saying that it isn't a tourist report--isn't tourist numbers---and you keep coming back with either tourist or 4 year old reports. You must have had some difficulties at school CrazyG....did you use to put in a maths test paper to the English master ?

The only other thing you just keep completely ignoring is THIS ISN'T T.A.T

How many times do they have to print that.

I already know this, the survey wasn't done by TAT

However, the surveyor RELIED on and USED  TAT official numbers, this is obvious

I kindky ask you to read the five links I dug up for you in response to your rant, in post No. 17

if this doesn't fill your needs I think I am unable to help you

Edited by crazygreg44

31 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

I kindky ask you to read the five links I dug up for you in response to your rant, in post No. 17

OK CGreg….my apologies for the smart remarks –rant--there was no need for it. Early mornings are not me

Euromonitor International’s, has been around I think since the mid 50s Greg way before anyone thought of TAT, head office Paris, it doesn’t  just monitor passenger movement but investments. For serious investors, who pay a lot of money. It does reports on all countries—the last small one on Thailand in Oct costing  $us990 to purchase, recommends movement of funds into digestive remedies-  Anti Acids etc industries because of the unsuitable eating habits and growth in visitors not used to this.

What I am trying to say Greg is it’s not a small organization that would just take someone’s figures and say….”Oh Ok if you say so, we will run with these” people (companies) pay a lot of money to get their (detailed) figures & reports, before they make major decisions.

But lets leave it there...you get the last word....have a G'day Mate..............

there 's no doubt about that vetted interests are behind all these surveys we get to read, and I always maintain them at my fingertip - daring not to touch the hot pieces, mainly those that claim insurmountable "facts".

"the best, the most, the fastest"  is always to be seen in the relativity of all affairs that surround it, and most media notions fail in capturing all facts in one article.  The survey we are discussing here raises a few questions,  mainly in the way the statisitcs have come to the reported conclusions, and the questioning is not very surprising in regard of other surveys which tend to emerge from the media jungle, telling contrary "facts"  because different interests behind them are the main layout factor. I tend to draw a median through the story after having checked relevant information instead of siding with the one opinion or the other much too short-heartedly.

eine schoenen guten Tag wuensche ich Ihnen . . . . !