Thailand in the spotlight on CNN

snoop1130

Thailand in the spotlight on CNN

By The Nation

b3f6db121f4dbc89e813e27ff86c2528.jpeg

Richard Quest, host of CNN Business Traveller, explores the evolving Thai tourism industry in the latest edition of the programme, which debuts this afternoon (November 9) at 4.30pm.

Quest begins the program by speaking with Thai Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul about her country’s recent shift in its tourism strategy, emphasising “quality” rather than “quantity”. 

“We believe that the true success of tourism of our country is the people. At the end of the day, Thailand will always be your second home. The Land of Smiles is the spirit, it is the people,” says Kobkarn in the programme.

Thirty million is Thailand's magic number. That's how many tourists visited Thailand in 2016 and that number just keeps growing. Representing US$50 billion in revenue, just over 12 per cent of the country’s GDP, Thailand’s tourism industry ranks third behind the United States and Spain in terms of income. 

Quest then heads to school to learn what makes Thai hospitality so unique when he visits the Dusit Thani College. The Dusit Thani was actually Bangkok's first five-star hotel and opened in 1970, so Quest sits down with group CEO Suphajee Suthumpun to learn about the famed hotel's plans for renovation while the brand also expands abroad.

“We are proud of our Thai heritage that uniquely delivering gracious hospitality to the world and that’s always my goal,” explained Suphajee. “I not only want to expand our hotel footprint to other countries around the world, but I'd also like to be the ambassador of gracious Thai hospitality.”

CNN also meets one of the new kids on the block, the Park Hyatt, as the brand comes to Thailand for the first time. A key to Thailand's new tourism strategy will be attracting more meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibition travellers. Quest sits down with TCEB President, Chiruit Isarangkun to hear how Thailand plans to woo these highly prized visitors. 

It's then time to head north to Chiang Mai. CNN Business Traveller explores how low-cost carrier Nok Air is dealing with all the competition in the sky then experiences how the city in the mountains is charming tourists away from big cities and beaches when he visits the Elephant Nature Park for an unforgettable day. When it's time to settle in for the night, he heads to 137 Pillars to learn how this boutique approach to luxury is key to Thailand's future. 

Boutique travel is also translating to the skies, so CNN Business Traveller flies back on Bangkok Airways to see how this has been good for business.

And finally, learn why sustainable tourism is vital to the country when CNN visits the quaint Kudeejeen community with the travel company, Local Alike. Growing up in a village, the company's founder Pai Boonkam explains why he's dedicated to making sure Thailand's tourism success is shared with everyone.

The programme will also air tomorrow at 11.30am, on November 11 at 12.30pm as well as on December 10, 11 and 12 at 8.30pm, 12.30pm and 11am respectively.

The video link can be found at http://cnn.it/2h9b6l6

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/movie/30331209

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-9

CNN should have rather reported on the dual pricing, the burdens or harassment towards expats on visa and immigration issues....expats getting ripped of of their homes registered in the name of a venal person, tourists getting ripped of with the Thai taxi and tuk tuk crooks refusing to put on the meter, the jet ski cheats who scam tourists, the Pattaya high rise condo  skydivers......etc. etc.

....in other words CNN should have consulted many of the fine quality posts on "TVF"  for inspiration of topics of higher pertinence!...the usual "National geographic style travel channel" shows, have already largely been covered....

....why?....because the quality expats and tourists with cash to spend are going to flee or avoid the kingdom at one point if the hassles do not stop against the expat communities, on the issues well known, that I am hardly qualified or experienced enough to cite them all...

Edited by observer90210

8 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

....in other words CNN should have consulted many of the fine quality posts on "TVF"  for inspiration of topics of higher pertinence!...the usual "National geographic style travel channel" shows, have already largely been covered....

If they did that, no one would ever come to Thailand again , it sounds a terrible place

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If they did that, no one would ever come to Thailand again , it sounds a terrible place

I see your point, but Thailand is a lovely place and it is a pity to see it decline due to a few issues that can be tackled with awareness, that needs to pass through the media unfortunately,  for things to change to the better...perhaps ?

Thailand, its people mostly, are wonderful.  They are patient and respond well to kindness and honesty, and they work hard.  Once you get through the scams and know who to avoid, there are some wonderful opportunities.  But locating there is a mistake if you are a foreigner. 

Thailand, its people mostly, are wonderful.  They are patient and respond well to kindness and honesty, and they work hard.  Once you get through the scams and know who to avoid, there are some wonderful opportunities.  But locating there is a mistake if you are a foreigner. 

Patient - you taking the piss?

Ever driven a car here?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

44 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Why would anyone drive in Thailand - you taking the piss again?

Much rather be in control than any national here.

How do you travel, walk everywhere?

Yes, and I take mass transit.  Been doing so for thirty years.  Had a motor bike in the 90's but got rid of it for obvious reasons.  When need be, I take a taxi but not often.  When I need to move something heavy, I just pay for a truck.  Driving anywhere in Thailand seems terribly unhealthy and a waste of time. 

Drove in Singapore for years too.  Hated it.  Not a big fan of driving and hate relying on a car.  

Cars are a disgusting consumer item prone to failure.  My business dealt with buses, ferry boats and trains for a long time.   It is hard to take cars seriously when you deal with vehicles that when maintained properly don't break down.

Been driving in thailand ( cars and motorbikes) for over 32 years

each year do a massive road trip from Phuket to northern thailand,  into Laos, back and across Thailand and into Cambodia, before heading back home

wouldn't have it any other way,  with ur own transport u can truly experience thai hospitality in out of the way places and many places i have been, are on NO public transport routes.

Its still a beautiful country to live in, raise a family and retire in.

Yes, and I take mass transit.  Been doing so for thirty years.  Had a motor bike in the 90's but got rid of it for obvious reasons.  When need be, I take a taxi but not often.  When I need to move something heavy, I just pay for a truck.  Driving anywhere in Thailand seems terribly unhealthy and a waste of time. 

Drove in Singapore for years too.  Hated it.  Not a big fan of driving and hate relying on a car.  

Cars are a disgusting consumer item prone to failure.  My business dealt with buses, ferry boats and trains for a long time.   It is hard to take cars seriously when you deal with vehicles that when maintained properly don't break down.

Modern cars do not break down much these days when maintained correctly.

Public transport in this country, no thanks. Check the news out fir wrecks everyday, mostly buses...

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

CNN should have rather reported on the dual pricing, the burdens or harassment towards expats on visa and immigration issues....expats getting ripped of of their homes registered in the name of a venal person, tourists getting ripped of with the Thai taxi and tuk tuk crooks refusing to put on the meter, the jet ski cheats who scam tourists, the Pattaya high rise condo  skydivers......etc. etc.

....why?....because the quality expats and tourists with cash to spend are going to flee or avoid the kingdom at one point if the hassles do not stop against the expat communities, on the issues well known, that I am hardly qualified or experienced enough to cite them all...

Strange.

Lived here 14 years and counting, never experienced any of the above. Must be deaf and blind...

• 4 weeks later...