Changes to visa exempt entries ?

The article you cite is wrong in so many ways I do not know where to start, but I will try ...

Firstly, visa exempt entries and visas on arrival are two different things.Some nationalities can enter Thailand without a visa (thus, a visa exempt entries). A further group of less fortunate nationalities can go to a special desk at certain entry points (not all crossings where foreigners can enter Thailand) and buy a visa on arrival.

Apart from an increase in price, the rules for visas on arrival have been stable for a long time.

The rules for visa exempt entries have changed frequently over the years. The current rules are

• There are two categories of visa exempt entries: (i) those that are the result of a bilateral agreement between Thailand and the country concerned; and (ii) "regular" visa exempt entries granted by Thailand mainly to high income countries. The rest of this post covers only those "regular" visa exempt entries.
  • Those entitled to visa exempt entry receive a 30 day permission to stay on entry (whether by land, ship or air).
  • The 30-day permission to stay can be extended (one time per entry) for a further 30 days on payment of 1,900 baht at an immigration office inside Thailand.
  • You can receive a maximum of two visa exempt entries when arriving by land in any one calendar year.
  • There are no explicit limits on visa exempt entries when arriving by air. However, back-to-back visa exempt entries are frowned upon. You are not supposed to use visa exempt entries to try to live in Thailand. Overuse of visa exempt entries by air is liable to lead to suspicion of illegal working, and the immigration official may deny you entry.

A question relating to progression from visa exempt, my 1 year extension based on marriage will expire before my next entry, therefore I plan to arrive on visa exempt, can I following arrival on visa exempt proceed the following day my local immigration and apply again for the 1 year extension based on marriage?
If so can anyone provide the link to support this
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, jonnyscot said:

A question relating to progression from visa exempt, my 1 year extension based on marriage will expire before my next entry, therefore I plan to arrive on visa exempt, can I following arrival on visa exempt proceed the following day my local immigration and apply again for the 1 year extension based on marriage?
If so can anyone provide the link to support this

You must have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for the extension.

You would have to convert the 30 day visa exempt entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at your local immigration office. You would have to supply all the required documents and financial proof needed to apply for the extension based upon marriage. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry to do the application,

General info for the visa application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

The during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for the one year extension.

• Like 1

Ok so I can go to my local immigration office after arriving on visa exempt and then apply for a 90 day non imm visa based on marriage?
I thought it wasn’t possible to apply for a visa “in country”

9 minutes ago, jonnyscot said:

Ok so I can go to my local immigration office after arriving on visa exempt and then apply for a 90 day non imm visa based on marriage?
I thought it wasn’t possible to apply for a visa “in country”

Yes you can apply for a non immigrant visa entry. It would be better though to try and get a single entry non-o visa before arriving.

You can apply for a non immigrant visa but only if you qualify for an extension of certain types (not all extension qualify for it). The visa is only valid long enough for them to stamp the 90 day entry and stamp it used.

• Like 1

Yes you can apply for nonimmigrant visa entry. It would be better though to try and get a single entry non-o visa before arriving.
You can apply for a non immigrant visa but only if you qualify for an extension of certain types (not all extension qualify for it). The visa is only valid long enough for them to stamp the 90 day entry and stamp it used.

Ok thanks,, it’s not possible for me to get the visa before I arrive as I’ll be transiting direct from my work offshore to airport then onward to thailand,, my extension will be based on marriage, hopefully that will qualify,, I have the required funds for the 1 year application, only additional thing I’ll have to do is get the bank letter from my bank

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, jonnyscot said:

Ok thanks,, it’s not possible for me to get the visa before I arrive as I’ll be transiting direct from my work offshore to airport then onward to thailand,, my extension will be based on marriage, hopefully that will qualify,, I have the required funds for the 1 year application, only additional thing I’ll have to do is get the bank letter from my bank

You do qualify. The link I posted is specifically for one based upon marriage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyscot said:

Beware the following potential issue ...

The conversion will give you a 90-day stay in Thailand. You can only apply for the one-year extension of stay in about the last 30 days of this 90-day stay. At that point, there will be an under consideration period before the one-year extension is stamped in your passport.

Make sure your schedule will not conflict with all this. If you are exiting Thailand frequently, a detour to Savannakhet for a one-year multiple entry Non O might be better in your case.

• Like 1

I can’t be sure how long I’ll be in, just finishing a project so I’ll attempt it anyway, I had the same situation last year, coming off a 1 year multi entry based on marriage to a 1 year extension, prior to this 1 year extension that’s expiring this month I used the 1 year multi entry non imm o based on marriage for a number of years before and as you mention wasn’t ever in long enough to make the extension,, but that was when work in the offshore game was plentiful, not so plentiful now.
Thanks

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The conversion will give you a 90-day stay in Thailand. You can only apply for the one-year extension of stay in about the last 30 days of this 90-day stay. 

That's not altogether correct. As long as the funds (if using 400K in the bank) have been in the bank for the 2 months there is no reason why the office can't process the 1 year extension of stay sooner. 

Edited by elviajero