Navy officer shot dead in illegal gambling den in Hat Yai

webfact

Navy officer shot dead in illegal gambling den

By The Nation

A Navy officer was shot dead following a quarrel inside an illegal gambling den in Hat Yai town in Songkhla province on Thursday night, police said.

Police said Chief Petty Officer 1st Class Thirapol Okaew, 27, a communications officer at the Navy’s Songkhla naval base, was shot twice on his chest and once on his head with an 11mm pistol. He died at the Hat Yai Hospital.

Pol Lt-Colonel Nimman Nikuno, inspector of Hat Yai Police Station, was alerted to the shooting incident at 9.30pm.

Nimman said witnesses saw Thirapol quarrelling with Woraphan Julpana, 52, before Woraphan allegedly fired at him.

The gambling den, which is in a soi in the heart of Hat Yai, had earlier been closed three times following raids by troops and police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331298

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-10

On 11/11/2017 at 9:37 AM, IamNoone88 said:

I wonder what the odds are on getting shot in an illegal gambling den ..........

I would say they increase if your fellow card players have lost money to you.

They then increase further if you start gloating.

Add alcohol along with some further mockery and humiliation of the loser in front of others and you may have a short odds-on.

Young pup Thirapol may have got too big for his navy issue boots.

I seem to have got carried away with this post.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, Thaiwrath said:

So it will be closed again.

Any guesses for the next re-opening date ? :coffee1:

There are hundreds of gambling houses in Hat Yai, one closes another one opens. With a large Thai Chinese population and our Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese visitors there's a lot gamblers in town and a huge amount of money to be made. Pok Deng, Rummy, Mah Jong and Dominoes plus of course we've cock fighting, fish fighting and bull fighting. If that's not enough you can just bet on the football.

It's not going away anytime soon.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, IamNoone88 said:

I wonder what the odds are on getting shot in an illegal gambling den ..........

In the USA I think it is more likely there will be a meetup out in the parking lot.  But the  stronger than usual Thai "saving face" mentality probably increases the odds of an in the house incident.