Entering Thailand with More than 50000 baht Thai Currency

onera1961

Thanks.

On IATA page, I see this

Local currency: up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport.
Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon arrival by all travelers.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

I was quoting from the official AoT page for Suvarnabhumi airport so may be fraught with the wrong advice. To be on the safe side, just leave 10k at home. Or change it to US$ before you leave home or at a forex booth in the baggage claim area before you clear Customs?

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's also new to me that there is a limit to bring in (import) Thai Baht.

Even IATA is not free from making (copy/paste?) errors.

I would NOT exchange Thai Baht in the US.

No need.

"It's also new to me that there is a limit to bring in (import) Thai Baht".

There isn't a limit.

The regulations state that you can bring in to Thailand an unlimited amount of THB or a Foreign Currency, however amounts over 20,000 USD or equivalent must be declared upon arrival.

However, departing, unless you are travelling to a neighbouring country, then you are not allowed to take out more than 50,000 THB in cash, you are allowed to take out foreign currency exceeding that amount, again above 20,000 USD or equivalent needs to be declared.

So OP, you can bring back the THB that technically you should not have taken out in the first place :smile:

23 hours ago, Mattd said:

The regulations state that you can bring in to Thailand an unlimited amount of THB or a Foreign Currency, however amounts over 20,000 USD or equivalent must be declared upon arrival.

However, departing, unless you are travelling to a neighbouring country, then you are not allowed to take out more than 50,000 THB in cash, you are allowed to take out foreign currency exceeding that amount, again above 20,000 USD or equivalent needs to be declared.

So OP, you can bring back the THB that technically you should not have taken out in the first place :smile:

I think that Mattd is correct. Customs "might" try to claim that you couldn't bring B60,000 into Thailand legally if you hadn't taken it out of the country illegally. But as long as you have 2 or more exit stamps from Thailand, you can claim that it is a total amount from 2 or more earlier trips, and you should be fine. You could also claim that part of the Baht that you are bringing back Baht into Thailand is to help a friend who had more than B10,000 from an earlier trip. Either way, you have very little if anything to be concerned about bringing B60,000 into Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Customs "might" try to claim that you couldn't bring B60,000 into Thailand legally if you hadn't taken it out of the country illegally.

I do not think (nor was I implying) that this will be an issue at all, as stated there is no restriction on the amount of THB cash that a person can legally bring in to the country, only amounts over the equivalent of 20,000 USD would have to be declared.

Even in the extremely unlikely event that customs stopped the OP, then it is even less likely that they would ask and even if they did, then the OP can always say he exchanged the money in the overseas airport prior to travelling.

... or, if you're that concerned, you could just send it over to a Thai bank account before you arrive.  If you haven't got a Thai bank account, go and get one.  

I always send money over before I arrive as I hate the thought of losing it in transit.  Voila. 

22 hours ago, Here It Is said:

... or, if you're that concerned, you could just send it over to a Thai bank account before you arrive.  If you haven't got a Thai bank account, go and get one.  

I always send money over before I arrive as I hate the thought of losing it in transit.  Voila. 

We are talking about Baht. I am not aware of any bank outside Thailand that will accept Thai Baht for any reason/purpose, even to send by wire transfer to a Thai bank in Thailand. You send Dollars/Euros/Pounds to Thailand, which are converted on arrival (unless you specifically request otherwise) into Baht. You do not (and cannot) "send" Thai Baht. 

To the OP -- bring the Baht with you, in cash, and don't worry about it. You will have no problem.

31 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

We are talking about Baht. I am not aware of any bank outside Thailand that will accept Thai Baht for any reason/purpose, even to send by wire transfer to a Thai bank in Thailand. You send Dollars/Euros/Pounds to Thailand, which are converted on arrival (unless you specifically request otherwise) into Baht. You do not (and cannot) "send" Thai Baht. 

To the OP -- bring the Baht with you, in cash, and don't worry about it. You will have no problem.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:26 PM, onera1961 said:

Thanks NanLaew for the good idea. To be on safe side. I will change excess of 50K to USD

23 hours ago, Here It Is said:

Where did I mention that the OP sends Thai Baht?  Read the thread more thoroughly.

The OP stated his intent to change the excess to USD, so he could potentially change it all up and wire USD to LOS.  I also mentioned the possibility of losing money in transit.

This is a forum where all ideas are encouraged as you never know what the viewers will pick off the bones.

Edited by Here It Is

You didn't mention anything about the need to make an over 10K currency  declatation from the  country of orgin.      I personally wouldn't be concerned about the whole matter  but since I'm  not a criminal, drug dealer or  scoffaw  I wouldn't be nervious when going through customs

NanLaew

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Advanced Members
  • 17,743 posts

There's no limit to the amount of Thai currency you bring in. However, if bringing in the aggregate equivalent of US$20,000 and greater in foreign currency, it must be declared on arrival. Your 60k baht is totally non-declarable.

•  

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

There's no limit to the amount of Thai currency you bring in. However, if bringing in the aggregate equivalent of US$20,000 and greater in foreign currency, it must be declared on arrival. Your 60k baht is totally non-declarable.

Conversely, I'm unsure what the rules are on declaring USD or any other currency on departing the US but departing the UK is equivalent of EUR 10k.  Why Euro equivalent is anyone's guess.

I had the sniffer dog on me leaving the UK about five years ago but was under the declarable amount so the police let me board with no further issue.  

Anyway, and as I previously mentioned, I gave up carrying large quantities of cash to LOS shortly thereafter as I didn't want to lose such a large quantity of money in transit and with the advent of f/x accounts the exchange rates are extremely favourable.

Edited by Here It Is

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 2:57 AM, Mattd said:

On 11/13/2017 at 2:57 AM, Mattd said:

So OP, you can bring back the THB that technically you should not have taken out in the first place

May be one exchanged other currencies to baht outside Thailand.

I must be missing something.  He is talking about bringing in the equivalent of $1,560USD IN Thai baht into Thailand?  Are you kidding me!!! Just do it. Do you know how many people bring that into Thailand everyday ??? Thousands. OP stop living on the edge lol you will have much more to worry about after arrival I have a feeling. 

Edited by alex8912

On 11/13/2017 at 12:57 PM, Mattd said:

Oh puuuuleeeeze!!  So when we go to Macau from Thailand 50k. Drama alert!

15 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh puuuuleeeeze!!  So when we go to Macau from Thailand 50k. Drama alert!

What are you trying to say?

The OP asked a question, which has been answered, if you wish to flaunt the rules, then that is your prerogative.

You can go to Macau with as much Foreign cash as you like, certainly wouldn't even think of taking THB!

18 minutes ago, Mattd said:

What are you trying to say?

The OP asked a question, which has been answered, if you wish to flaunt the rules, then that is your prerogative.

You can go to Macau with as much Foreign cash as you like, certainly wouldn't even think of taking THB!

The rules of what?  Rules of where? Thailand??  How many bikes with no helmet did you see today just for starters ? Flaunt the rules.  Rules are made to be broken. 

14 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The rules of what?  Rules of where? Thailand??  How many bikes with no helmet did you see today just for starters ? Flaunt the rules.  Rules are made to be broken. 

there are plenty of rules and laws in thailand, the issue is with enforcement, or lack of.