CAT torrent capping ?

properperson

Just moved into a new condo in Naklua (Pattaya) area....

Internet / cable TV from BTV, who apparently use CAT for the internet.

Paying for a 12 meg download spead and according to Speedtest.net, thats pretty much spot on - But trying to download torrents the speed shown on Utorrent never goes abover 1.6 ....

Usig a VPN makes no difference...

Does anyone know if CAT are deliberatly putting a cap on torrent downloads ? - If so, how does one get it lifted ??

TIA..

3 minutes ago, shariq607 said:

lol you are getting your 12 Mbit, utorrent is showing you 1.6 MByte which is 12.8 Mbit.

there is a difference between "Mb" and "MB"

dont worry and enjoy.

Where i lived before, i paid for a 30mb speed - and would regualrly see donload speeds on Utorrent of between 25 and 35.....

so gobsmacked at now seeing such low speeds,,,

Edited by properperson

28 minutes ago, properperson said:

Where i lived before, i paid for a 30mb speed - and would regualrly see donload speeds on Utorrent of between 25 and 35.....

so gobsmacked at now seeing such low speeds,,,

As has been suggested, you don't see downloads in Mb/s, but in MB/s.

So show us the MB/s or kB/s figure.

Edited by GreytMan

22 hours ago, properperson said:

Paying for a 12 meg download spead and according to Speedtest.net, thats pretty much spot on -

Spot on to where, to a local server or overseas?

Speedtest is not really the best tool to use to get the true speed of your connection.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Spot on to where, to a local server or overseas?

Speedtest is not really the best tool to use to get the true speed of your connection.

Yes, ISPs in Thailand tend to cache stuff so not as much stuff goes through the pipe overseas (if necessary).  Speedtest has always shown speeds and latency that are only possible if it is testing against a local point even when you pick a far away server.  Your test results are for local loop only.

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yes, ISPs in Thailand tend to cache stuff so not as much stuff goes through the pipe overseas (if necessary).  Speedtest has always shown speeds and latency that are only possible if it is testing against a local point even when you pick a far away server.  Your test results are for local loop only.

Yes, on advice from a friend in the know I use 'Test my Net' for outside Thailand, which seems to provide much more accurate results.

Torrents is not downloaded from a server, but from people's computers around the world, who have downloaded the film/program your trying to download, and they normally set upload speed as low as they can, as this is done on their computers... So it dosent matter how fast your internet is, it will always be downloading slower than you speed....

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It probably isn't True. More people go on-line in the evening and that slows the system. Same all over the world.

This is absolutely wrong. It is True. The capping starts exactly at 4pm where I am (Bangkok). This is not hearsay.

I can download popular torrents at the maximum rated speed of my connection every day 4MB/s  (=30 mbps  package for 690B per month). Exactly at 4pm every day torrents that are downloading at max drop to 0.1-0.25 MB/s. This is not random traffic increase. It happens to the second, every day.

This is True throttling torrent traffic. If I switch to a VPN after this it will go up to 1MB/s again proving that when you hide the fact it is torrent traffic, throttling stops. However the VPN comes with its own speed limitations so it never gets back to the rated speed until after 1am, when I can turn the VPN off and go back to rated speeds.

Edited by partington

On 14/11/2017 at 1:59 PM, properperson said:

Internet / cable TV from BTV, who apparently use CAT for the internet.

Paying for a 12 meg download spead and according to Speedtest.net, thats pretty much spot on - But trying to download torrents the speed shown on Utorrent never goes abover 1.6 ....

Usig a VPN makes no difference...

Does anyone know if CAT are deliberatly putting a cap on torrent downloads ? - If so, how does one get it lifted ??

I tried BTV's fibre service once and ditched them immediately as whilst the speed to Bangkok was good anything going outside of Thailand was abysmal. That was for regular connections, not torrents. The slowness was caused by BTV, not CAT, as at the same time I was using 3BB ADSL which also used CAT lines and worked much better outside of Thailand.